Killing Field Penneycress

Discussion in 'Deer Management, Habitat & Conservation' started by SwiftKill, May 13, 2018.

1. SwiftKill

SwiftKill Active Member

Feb 24, 2014
    NW
    Anyone have trouble getting rid of Field Pennycress in their plots. Its all over mine. Gly doesn't seem to work. I was told to try 2,4 DB (would have to order) or Remedy. I will mow them before they go to seed but really want to kill them.

2. Wooddust

Wooddust Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2003
    Dont use Remedy if its a legume plot

3. gurgalunas

gurgalunas Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2013
    Platte City
    I haven't tried it yet, but somebody recommended a new (to me) chem called Clearcast for use in plots. Might check the label to see if it handles pennycress. Not cheap, but a little goes a long ways. Plus it is used for aquatics too...

4. CuivreDog2

CuivreDog2 Addicted Habitat Junkie

Mar 27, 2010
    Lincoln County, MO
    Clearcast will not list Pennycress as it is an aquatic use herbicide so the label on Clearcast only lists targeted aquatic weeds but it is the exact same herbicide as Raptor except at half the cost.

I caution you though if you do decide to use Clearcast, DO NOT follow the rates listed on the Clearcast label unless you are using it for aquatic purposes.

Use Clearcast following Raptor label directions at all times in food plot use.

I checked the Raptor label and field pennycress is a listed weed.

Attached Files:

Skduckhunt, WBF and gurgalunas like this.
  5. gurgalunas

gurgalunas Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2013
    Platte City
    Thanks for posting that. I have a hard time remembering Raptor brand name for some reason...

6. SwiftKill

SwiftKill Active Member

Feb 24, 2014
    NW
    Yep, WBF that's it, thanks. I guess I will have to keep it mowed and drive over my new growth or kill everything and start over in the fall. With the lack of rain we've had my replanting options aren't good.

WBF and beanpile like this.
  7. beanpile

beanpile just a no body

I feel your pain same battle going on with Yellow Rocket. I mowed it flat and just a few weeks later came back and it was blooming all over again we had not a drop of rain in between that time.. I'm thinking maybe napalm lol

Skduckhunt and WBF like this.
  8. SwiftKill

SwiftKill Active Member

Feb 24, 2014
    NW
    Hey Rat, I tried Gly and spot sprayed 2, 4D to see how it worked on ther pennycress and other broadleafs and the results were poor. I'm thinking about nuking the plot and starting over. Is Remedy a better choice?

9. Dafish

Dafish Senior Member

Nov 24, 2010
    St. Peters
    Field pennycress can be easily controlled mechanically with tillage or with herbicides. Herbicide treatments will provide best control when plants are in the early stages of development, preferably in the rosette stage when growth is active and before plants start shedding seed. Standard burndown herbicide combinations containing glyphosate or paraquat plus 2,4-D, dicamba, or Sharpen will provide excellent control of field pennycress.