Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner

Killed my first ever...

2K views 26 replies 23 participants last post by  BIG OL AL 
#1 ·
...turkey with a bow. Hunted in Kansas and had a lot of action. Had several big gobblers that came close, but not close enough for me with archery equipment. Finally a jake came all the way to my decoy and I drilled him at 17 yards out.

#4 ·
Congrats Gamegetter on your first. And did you kill him with shorts on?

#10 ·
way to go joe

give us some more deatails
were you using a blind
were you shoot him at
did he drop on the spot or you have to watch him a while?

#12 ·
No Hayze, didn't shoot him with shorts on, but I was wearing the short sleeve shirt in the pic, from a blind with a bandana under my eyes. 90 freaking degrees and ticks everywhere. Tony, the jake was next to a decoy, but started getting nervous when I positioned my sights on him. He started walking away from the decoy, took two steps and I shot it in the back, the arrow exited just below the beard. I took some pictures of the entry and exit, but they are pretty graphic. The expandables blew a big hole through the bird. How's your little angel doing?

#13 ·
Congrats on the bowkill!!
:cheers::cheers:

#16 ·
Congrats. I may make a Kansas trip myself this year. Were you hunting public or private ground???

:cheers::cheers:

#17 ·
Mailman, just a shade under 6" beard, nubs for spurs, notched tail - jake for sure. Henry, private ground that a friend of mine put me on. He'll probably invite me back to hunt in May if I can afford the gas.

#25 ·
Good shooting! Once you start picken them off with arrows, you won't want to go back.

The trick I learned for dealing with gobblers who stut out there just a little too far is to put the decoys no more than five yards from the blind. They may stay 10 yards from the decs, but that's close enough for me!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.