Kids shooting a handgun

Discussion in 'Guns & Ammo' started by Cook, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Cook

Cook Active Member

May 28, 2003
    Was talking to someone and he claimed its illegal for me to let my grandkids shoot a pistol with me.He cited this.

"US Code
    18 USC 922 (x)
    (1) It shall be unlawful for a person to sell, deliver, or otherwise transfer to a person who the transferor knows or has reasonable cause to believe is a juvenile—
    (A) a handgun; or
    (B) ammunition that is suitable for use only in a handgun.
    (2) It shall be unlawful for any person who is a juvenile to knowingly possess—
    (A) a handgun; or
    (B) ammunition that is suitable for use only in a handgun."

His claim is that simply holding one costitutes "possesion"

Just spent at least an hour searching on the net,and can't find a clear answer.
    So what do you gurus say?any links would help.

2. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

Transfer, IMO, means sell.

Posses, IMO, means to own!

I believe as long as the kid is handling and shooting the handgun under your supervision, you are ok! I've seen kids younger than 18 shooting alot if bullets at USPSA matches!!???

3. Mule

Mule Active Member

Sep 27, 2003
    Franklin County, MO
    IMO, any Missouri Prosecutor that would bring charges for what you are doing with your grandchild, would be committing career suicide.

4. Cook

Cook Active Member

May 28, 2003
    I think the key is the legal description of posess-?

5. cshoff

cshoff New Member

Aug 25, 2009
    Gasconade County
    The person you spoke to is WRONG.

And here is the Missouri law regarding this issue:

You simply MUST read statutes in their entirety in order to have a clue as to what they do and don't mean.

6. sand_manms

sand_manms New Member

Dec 13, 2005
    South Mississippi
    If the gun is in your name then you posess it.

7. cshoff

cshoff New Member

Aug 25, 2009
    Gasconade County
    [rquote=1884107&tid=131240&author=sand_manms]If the gun is in your name then you posess it.[/rquote]

In Missouri, guns are not in anyone's name.

8. Cook

Cook Active Member

May 28, 2003
    Thats what "they" keep telling us:whistle::whistle:

9. wolfgang

wolfgang Senior Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Springfield, MO
    So then does Missouri law allow for a juvenile to possess a handgun while hunting by themselves?

10. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

Feb 5, 2005
    My son carries a pistol on his hip at the family farm, I don't see anything wrong with it. It's a Colt 22, but wouldn't have a problem with him carrying my 9mm either. It doesn't matter if I'm with him or not. With that said, he's been shooting since he was 4 and always been around guns since he could crawl. Just because they are around doesn't mean an accident is going to happen. Teach them early, teach them safety and there will never be a problem.

11. mohunter32

mohunter32 Senior Member Lifetime Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2005
    Franklin Co, MO
    [rquote=1884106&tid=131240&author=cshoff]The person you spoke to is WRONG.

And here is the Missouri law regarding this issue:

You simply MUST read statutes in their entirety in order to have a clue as to what they do and don't mean. [/rquote]

That was a good read and good information.

12. sand_manms

sand_manms New Member

Dec 13, 2005
    South Mississippi
    [rquote=1884108&tid=131240&author=cshoff][rquote=1884107&tid=131240&author=sand_manms]If the gun is in your name then you posess it.[/rquote]

In Missouri, guns are not in anyone's name. [/rquote]

If you bought it from a dealer then it was transfered to you after filling out the paperwork and the tele-check. Therefore until you sell it the gun has your name attached to it.

13. MissouriBoy

MissouriBoy New Member

Oct 22, 2010
    [rquote=1884075&tid=131240&author=Cook]Was talking to someone and he claimed its illegal for me to let my grandkids shoot a pistol with me.He cited this.

"US Code
    18 USC 922 (x)
    (1) It shall be unlawful for a person to sell, deliver, or otherwise transfer to a person who the transferor knows or has reasonable cause to believe is a juvenile—
    (A) a handgun; or
    (A) a handgun; or

So what do you gurus say?any links would help.[/rquote]

He is ate up. No way. Shoot with your grand kids.

14. Curtis

Curtis Active Member

[rquote=1885517&tid=131240&author=Cherokee]My son carries a pistol on his hip at the family farm, I don't see anything wrong with it. It's a Colt 22, but wouldn't have a problem with him carrying my 9mm either. It doesn't matter if I'm with him or not. With that said, he's been shooting since he was 4 and always been around guns since he could crawl. Just because they are around doesn't mean an accident is going to happen. Teach them early, teach them safety and there will never be a problem.[/rquote]

I have always had huge concerns when it comes to handguns and kids (inexperienced shooters in general). You can have the most experienced long gun shooter / hunter out and the moment they touch a handgun the thing is pointed at everyone. Why is that; I don't know, but it tends to be true from what I see at the range and even in my own hands. :shrug:

I've always thought 16-18 years old was an appropriate time to start shooting handguns with supervision. :02:

15. conradtactical

conradtactical New Member

Aug 31, 2010
    Jefferson County, MO
    [rquote=1884075&tid=131240&author=Cook]Was talking to someone and he claimed its illegal for me to let my grandkids shoot a pistol with me.He cited this.

"US Code
    18 USC 922 (x)
    (A) a handgun; or
    (A) a handgun; or

So what do you gurus say?any links would help.[/rquote]

Thats FEDERAL law referring to the SALE and OWNERSHIP of a handgun.

If your kids or grand-kids want to shoot with you present, there are NO laws prohibiting such activity.

16. conradtactical

conradtactical New Member

Aug 31, 2010
    Jefferson County, MO
    [rquote=1884107&tid=131240&author=sand_manms]If the gun is in your name then you posess it.[/rquote]

Gun registration records are permanently deleted every 30 days.

17. cshoff

cshoff New Member

Aug 25, 2009
    Gasconade County
    [rquote=1885653&tid=131240&author=sand_manms][rquote=1884108&tid=131240&author=cshoff][rquote=1884107&tid=131240&author=sand_manms]If the gun is in your name then you posess it.[/rquote]

If you bought it from a dealer then it was transfered to you after filling out the paperwork and the tele-check. Therefore until you sell it the gun has your name attached to it.[/rquote]

That is not correct. There is NO federal gun registry. Your use of the NICS system is irrelevant.

18. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    [rquote=1885833&tid=131240&author=cshoff][rquote=1885653&tid=131240&author=sand_manms][rquote=1884108&tid=131240&author=cshoff][rquote=1884107&tid=131240&author=sand_manms]If the gun is in your name then you posess it.[/rquote]

If you bought it from a dealer then it was transfered to you after filling out the paperwork and the tele-check. Therefore until you sell it the gun has your name attached to it.[/rquote]

That is not correct. There is NO federal gun registry. Your use of the NICS system is irrelevant. [/rquote]
    Not a formal registry per se (than goodness) but wouldnt what sandmann is saying help to trace if the need arises?

19. SNA2STL

SNA2STL Active Member

If the act is trespass to chattel then it is doubled! When actions are transferred, not firearm actions. However, in the case of an AR, when you purchase the upper and lower separately. So, I think cshoff pretty much pegged it.

20. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

Feb 5, 2005
    [rquote=1885744&tid=131240&author=curtism1234]I have always had huge concerns when it comes to handguns and kids (inexperienced shooters in general). You can have the most experienced long gun shooter / hunter out and the moment they touch a handgun the thing is pointed at everyone. Why is that; I don't know, but it tends to be true from what I see at the range and even in my own hands. :shrug:

I've always thought 16-18 years old was an appropriate time to start shooting handguns with supervision. :02:[/rquote]

My son knows exactly how a pistol should and should not be handled. I'd put my 11 year old son up against any man when it comes to handling a pistol. He doesn't have a problem shooting a 44 mag with +P loads. When he steps up to any firing line, he changes from a boy to a man in an instant. He knows the risks and does not take them lightly. Now I'm no expert shot, but I can hold my own out to 200 yards. Same for my son, as a matter of fact, he's a better shot than I am. We go over safety every trip to the range or field. We go over breathing techniques and proper grip techniques. We talk about the whole event. He understands more than most his own age. I'd let him shoot anytime up against anyone with no interference from me. He's got it.:)