Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a lab pup. I will not pick him up for two more weeks, just trying to get my ducks in a row. This will be a pet with some hunting but a pet first. I have decided that I want to kennel/crate train him. Right now he would fit into a shoebox, but not for long. My question is can I buy a huge crate now and put a partition into it and move it as he grows. Or should I buy the size he needs now and buy another one when he outgrows it? I am hoping that one would work because it would save money. Also how big do I need when he is full grown? His poppa is about 100lbs?

Thank you for your help, this is the first dog I am going to kennel train, and my first Lab so I will have many more questions.

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
19,796 Posts
We borrowed a small crate, used it at first. Then, we bought the size he needed for him. The idea you have about the divider seems like a great idea.

Never crate trained a dog before, but it sure works! :cheers:

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
A lot of crates come with dividers for that reason. Going through the same thing now with an 8 wk old lab. Never have crate trained before this but its easy and works great. Good luck :cheers:

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Crate training is the only way to go. Glad to hear you are using this method. With my Lab I bought the large crate right off the bat and it worked like a charm. He had few accidents in it, but I cleaned it out right away and he really took to it. It got to the point I would just leave the door open and whenever he wanted to sleep he would go crawl in and sleep. It was his home and he felt very safe in it.

I think the divider or borrowing a smaller crate is also a good idea, but in my experiance it was not necessary.

Good luck and one word of advice; never use the crate as a punishment & it is ok for them to whine and cry in the crate especially the first couple of nights. If you let them out everytime they whine you will never get them to take to it. (obviously make sure they have gone the bathroom beforehand)

·
Registered
4,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wire or plastic?

I assume I should get the biggest one they make?

HS, thanks for he tips...keep them coming everyone!

MJO

·
Registered
17,011 Posts
i use the same crate i have had for years. true it's to big but i throw a shirt in there for him to sleep with and it takes up room. crate train all my dogs, easy and it works.

·
Registered
108 Posts
If you buy an extra large wire crate you can use a piece of 1/4" or 3/8" plywood to block the back part of the crate. I drilled holes down the sides and zip tied the plywood to the wire slats, then I could adjust it easily as the pup grew.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Heartshot hit some great points. Here's a few more that I'll add from what I've learned over the past two weeks. Like HS said, never use the crate as punishment. Puppy's will sleep a lot at first. Ours was dead tired when we got home so we put him in his crate first thing and he went right to sleep. If he's got some energy in him when you first get home, play with him a little to wear him down and then put him in there to sleep. This lets him get used to it right away, and he'll take to it as his safe place. It'd be best if you were around when he wakes back up for the first time so he doesn't think he's being abandoned right away. Don't let those sad puppy eyes and intolerable whining convince you to let him out the first night…or any night for that matter. Just let him whine and he'll get used to it eventually. Ours cried the first night but hasn't since (a loud fan by our bed helped drown him out :) ). I've been waking up once in the middle of the night to let him go outside and go to the bathroom. Their bladders just aren't big enough to make it through the night when they're real young. I have a feeling he can go all night now, but I'm going to give it a little longer. I slept through my alarm one night and it wasn't a pleasant sight when I woke up, even though he went outside right before he went to bed. Put him in his crate throughout the day for short periods of time (10-15 mins) every once in awhile, so he doesn't think every time he goes in there it will be a long time. A lot of times I'll just leave the door open if he's sleeping. On the first full day we had him, he was already going in to his crate on his own to sleep. I also threw in an old t-shirt…labs like human scent and I think it gives him a little more sense of comfort. Oh, and we also tell him "kennel" whenever we put him in there. You can use whatever word you want, but if you use it every time, he will pick up on it quick and you can command him to go in there on his own when it's time. As far as location of the crate…we put it in our living area where he's always around people during the day, but not at night. We never tried it, but I think if you were to put the crate in the bedroom, it would just make him whine that much more since he knew you were close by.

Sorry for the ramble, just typing my thoughts as they come. Like I said before, I'm going through all of this for the first time so it's fresh in my mind and I'm still learning. Holler if you have any questions :cheers:

·
Registered
7,278 Posts
I have a 7wk old pup now. I went to the dollar general store and Picked up a dog pillow bed thing for $6 stick that in the crate and he'll sleep on it like a little baby.

·
Registered
7,278 Posts
I am not a fan of Purina Puppy Chow either. I'm switching soon as I am low on the 5lb bag I have now.

I do not like Purina Puppy Chow!!!!!

·
Registered
4,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I always used science diet with my Husky. I was always told that a better food helped more with his coat and slowed shedding? What do you think.

Will a kennel that is 32"L X 32"W X32"H be enoough for a full grown lab
or should I look at 32 x 25 x 34 ???

http://www.mackspw.com/Item--i-STS108S

MJO

·
Cooler Semi-Elitist
4,850 Posts
Figure 1 hour for each month of age in terms of how long they can make it their crate. My golden only gets crated at night now or when I need to him to be away. I just open the basement door and tell him kennel. He is down inside the crate before I can get half way down the steps.

My old house I had a 6' x10 " kennel in the basement with a crate inside that. The new house has less room, so I built him 4' x 3' or so kennel that is about 3 or so feet tall. Put a scrap piece of carpet in it for him to sleep on it. He loves it.

·
Registered
7,278 Posts
I'm going to use royal canin for him. Going to buy some today after work.

[file]83409[/file]

·
Registered
108 Posts
Diamond Natural Puppy Feed is a very good product at a good price. Compares very well to the Eukanuba and Enhance products. I have a good friend who manages a Pet Store and wholesale supply company and reps Diamond, Science Diet, Eukanub and many others. Whenever someone doesn't have a preference and asks his opinion he recommends the Diamond.

They did have an issue a year or two ago with some bad corn in thier foods, but it was never sold in the Midwest and with that scare, they are probably ahead of the time now with their QC to avoid another incident.

Plus its a Missouri based company.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
I did that exact thing. I had a full size wire crate and didnt want to buy a puppy crate. I went to walmart and bought a $10 wood baby gate and zip tied it in the cage and moved it back as he got bigger!!!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.