KEL-TEC PISTOLS

Discussion in 'Guns & Ammo' started by Poor Valley, Mar 22, 2006.

1. Poor Valley

Poor Valley Active Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Rolla, Mo
    Anyone have any experience with these itty-bitty pocket pistols? Good?.....Bad?... throw it out there...., but lets stick to Kel-Tecs and similar pocket pistols please.

2. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Wow.... you took the words right out of my mouf PV..

I expect that Nicholas will have input.. I am interested as well.

3. glennasher1

glennasher1 Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2004
    Radcliff, KY
    A buddy of mine had the .32 for a couple of years, then he sold it for more than he paid for it. Shot pretty good, kinda snappy, for a mousegun.

4. Transplanted Hoosier

Transplanted Hoosier New Member

Oct 16, 2002
    HOME AT LAST!!
    I carry a Grendel P-10 .380 as either a BUG or low threat level carry; and have for the better part of 20 years, it is the grand daddy of the Kel-Tecs. The early P3ATs were pretty hit and miss as to functioning, but with a life time factory warranty people just sent them till the worked. There have been (I think) 3 up grades to the design and what I am hearing the new one are pretty good. There are several guys on a Missouri concealed carry board I am on that absolutely love the newest production guns.

Also Kel-Tec just introduced the smallest production 9mm (a single stack mag) at the recent shot show, haven’t seen one yet but specs show it to be a tad smaller than (don't recall name) which was the smallest, but it cost in the neighborhood of a Thousand $, the Kel-Tec should be in the $300-400 range.

Kel-Tec also makes a small double stack 9mm, the P-11; I have recommended this gun to a couple friends and they are absolutely pleased with them. This is the design that is a direct descendent of my Grendel and mine has never failed in several thousand rounds.

The .32 and .380 are the same size, for god's sake if you are planning on carrying it DO NOT get the .32, I know of some knowledgeable people that carry a .32 but I just can't see not going for the .380 in the same size gun. I used a Walther HsC in .32 as a back up gun in a match one time, all it had to do was knock over a bowling pin to stop the clock, couldn’t do it with a single shot, had to shoot it 3 times in rapid succession to drive it down; hell even a .22 will knock over a bowling pin with one shot.

So the short answer…if I were in the market for a small .380 I would probably get a Kel-Tec, just be careful about picking up a used one without knowing when it was made, anything before 2003 I might be skeptical of.

5. devoted

devoted Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Clover Bottom MO
    Hello PV,

I have a first generation P3AT, chrome slide. It took about 150 rounds to get it broken in. As stated above, it is pretty snappy when fired. I installed an aftermarket rear sight to improve accuracy and a finger extention to the magazine.. Accuracy is good for close up shooting.

You can test drive it if you want.

see www.ktrange.com and www.ktog.org

My only complaint is that you never know where the brass is going to land.

Later,
    Mule
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

My Bad. devoted is one of my sons, didn't look to see that he was logged in on this computer.

6. Nicholas

Nicholas New Member

Oct 5, 2005
    Saint Charles, MO
    No experience with the Kel-Tec for first hand info., however I have heard nothing but good on them. For compacts I go for dups of full size duty firearm, and for sub-compact I go for the G26. Some people have firm opinions on what they use, I for one feel what ever YOU shoot well with, feel comfortable with and has the stopping power YOU feel comfortable with then that is what is good for you! Transplanted hit it on the head though, have something that will work!

7. Poor Valley

Mar 14, 2003
    Rolla, Mo
    Thanks Mule. My son bought one a week or so ago and I was just wondering what people thought of them.

8. Vector

Vector VECtor Custom Calls

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    I've had a .32 for quite a while now. I liked the machining enough that I bought one of their carbines too. I LOVE the carbine!

Just like any pistol.....you do have to keep it clean. I've abused that process in the last year or so, and I'm getting quite a few jams. You won't have that problem with a good clean gun though.

I think that it shoots great for how small the barrel is, but I'm used to the looooooong trigger pull from my Glocks.

Good gun. The price went up $100 smooth dollars when concealed carry got passed!

Parker

9. Mrwonderful

Mrwonderful New Member

Jan 16, 2006
    Kel-Tec 380

I have the second generation 380. Its biggest advantage is its light weight (8.6 ounces). It conceals easilly and a good choice for no fuss concealed carry.

I have shot it about 150 rounds with no malfunctions. It has a long trigger pull as mentioned.

The gun does eject the spent case with must gusto. When you fire the pistol it will try to get away from you, a firm grip is a must.

I was surprised at the range and accuracy of this little gun.

I use it as my ghetto pocket gun(much better then nothing).
    I am happy with the gun and its performance.

The only drawback is it seems to be overpriced a tad but it is made in the USA that means a lot to me.

:wave::wave:

10. Vector

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    Yep, that happened when concealed carry got passed! Kinda like the gas prices......I've got something you want.....just give me a reason to raise the price, and I gladly will. :mad:

Parker

11. Poor Valley

Mar 14, 2003
    Rolla, Mo
    I'm confused with the comments about "over priced" since the low price(my opinion) is what prompted me to make this post. The pistol is second generation, black, PAT NIB for $224.

12. Vector

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    That's a good price. Most places have jacked them up about $100 more than that at this point. He found a godo deal. :wave:

Parker