Keeping track of bucks in second half of season.....

Discussion in '2011 Whitetail General' started by archer66, Nov 4, 2010.

1. archer66

archer66 5 shots 1 kill

Jun 21, 2008
    Ok so we glassed fields all summer, ran trailcams and scouted up to the opener of bow season. Then we started hunting and the more we hunted the better idea we have of what bucks are hanging where. Then the rut starts and all heck breaks loose. Then rifle season starts and it gets even crazier. If you are like me...and I'd bet most of us are....you hit it pretty hard until the end of regular rifle season and then you are out of vacation or don't have as much time to go due to work and the holidays.

So....to get to the point.....every year I feel like I completely lose track of what's going on in the woods once late November comes. Aside from hours and hours in the stand in late November and through December what do you do to keep tabs on the deer...figure out what bucks lived and where they are hanging. Obviously piles of corn can help but ya can't do that if you are still going to hunt. How much time do you spend scouting the late season....glassing picked crop fields....scouting on foot? Etc....what other ideas do ya have?

2. Deckgun

Deckgun Member

Sep 18, 2010
    Fulton, MO
    drove down a gravel road that boarders our property and did some scouting this morning saw a nice buck and some does.

3. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    After the bach groups break up and the rut begins, we just hope to see bucks we have pics of OR bucks we dont, if you know what I mean. :D
    on only 180 acres, anything is possible... keeps me coming back for more every year. :claphands:

4. carbonslinger

carbonslinger New Member

Dec 25, 2008
    bethany,mo
    you are are right archer after rifle season i start to loose intrest due to hunting so much during and prior to rifle season. but do keep the cameras out till about christmas. after that i pull them because by then its pretty cold by then and my cameras dont do well in the real cold weather.

5. archer66

archer66 5 shots 1 kill

Jun 21, 2008
    So.....there are no crop fields on our place but they are all around. Only part of them are visible from the roads so scouting that way is hit and miss. I can put cameras up on travel routes in December in hopes of catching them moving from bedding on our place (hopefully) to feeding on the neighbors. Have ya tried that using scents to get em to stop for the camera???

6. HabitatMD

HabitatMD Active Member

Jan 4, 2007
    St. Louis, Mo
    I just try to get an inventory of what the neighbor's killed and keep the finger's crossed.

7. archer66

archer66 5 shots 1 kill

Jun 21, 2008
    You grow em they kill em eh Dan???

8. HabitatMD

HabitatMD Active Member

Jan 4, 2007
    St. Louis, Mo
    [rquote=1880671&tid=130972&author=archer66]You grow em they kill em eh Dan???[/rquote]

That's about right. :whiteflag: Friends get to shoot some of the gooden's too off our place.:bored: