Kayak Fishing

Discussion in 'Fishing General' started by justindh1, Feb 16, 2018.

1. reitzs

reitzs Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2008
    I only had mine for one season and never pushed it to the limit with cargo weight. Spatially, you can fit a crap ton of stuff, but I’m not sure how the performance would be with 300lbs of user and gear. A lot of people on the forums say the back will take on water without the scuppers in.

I would guess that the maneuverability in current would get worse the lower it rides.
  2. Steelman

Steelman Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2009
    I have the 12T Ascend and a 12' Native Marine Propel that I bought off of member here. (How about that, I bought a boat off a member here and the guy didn't back out of the deal!:D)
    I really like my Native Marine (has peddles like a bicycle) but the Ascend is nice too. I like the rack system, I have a collapsible dip net, I put a stick on 24" measuring tape on the side, always pack a fish gripper (looks like vice grips), I always pack a cooler and a dry bag for phone, camera, and anything else I don't want to get wet. One of my paddles has inches and feet on it for measure too.
    My son and his GF took them floating on the Current last year and as said these fishing kayaks are heavy and don't do well in tight spaces on small rivers but they will work.
    I saw a guy in Florida last year in the Destin Harbor with 3ft or better waves just peddling his bottom off going fishing and he had his loaded up pretty good, so they are very stable and seaworthy. Have fun! :cheers:

3. justindh1

justindh1 Senior Member

Aug 22, 2010
    Thanks for the info. I plan to load mine up fairly close to the limit at one point or another over the summer. Gonna go on some solo multi day trips. I got one of those weathertight containers. I know they aren't watertight but it will keep things dry unless it gets dunked. Keep my stuff that doesn't matter if it gets wet in. With my bungee system, I can lift on it and take the kayak up with it. Have a nice net already leashed on. I made all my leashes for my paddle, rods, and net myself. A few more things and I'm ready for the water when it warms up and stops raining.
  4. Ringer

Ringer Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2011
    Mid MO
    I'd still pick a good flat bottom aluminum canoe over a kayak for such trips. More leg room and sit in different positions and stand up to fish, easier to clean out, easier to anchor, easier to fit bulky items in, etc. I've done it multiple times in both and I'd pick canoe hands down. Best fitted with a 3 or so horse motor or electric trolling motor and batteries on the transom. I have a 19 foot gumlin flat bottom canoe with a 6 horse evinrude motor. I start getting cramped in a kayak after a while but it is fun fishing out of one, but I haven't been in the kind where you can sit up like in a chair yet. Sometimes it's best in some not so good eddys to just start the motor and buzz through it. Just my 2c.
  5. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    If you dont have one, google "bills bag" and get one. I bought one 25years ago for overnight trips on ozark streams and still have it, going strong. Best waterproof gear bag out there.
  6. justindh1

justindh1 Senior Member

Aug 22, 2010
    I'm not sure I'll spend 120+ dollars on a dry backpack. I already have 2 55 liter heavy duty drybags and I think they will work good enough for me. Thanks for the recommendation tho.

I guess to each their own. I don't mind paddling and enjoy the physical side of it too. I have a lot of energy. The trip is more of a one person gig and I be a minimalist when it comes to supplies. I don't need a whole lot to make it fun.