Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

15,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got here in Kansas this afternoon. I am hunting public land. A friend called me yesterday saying my places had been hit hard all week and he saw 2 youths carrying turkeys out where I mainly hunt. I decided to set up in my 2 favorite places and go from there. First the set for the morning. I walked into the alfalfa field from the pasture carrying my blind and chair. Looked to my left and there is a tom strutting 30 yards from me and 2 hens laying in the field. Well off they went, set the blind up and off I went. Set my evening blind up a mile the other way. Heard a gobble about 4, at 5ish it was close. Then I saw the head of a big old tom bobbing along in the pasture across the fence. I called a little, it strutted about 45 yards away for a little bit, then off he walks across the pasture.
I never have called one through the fence, only when they have come through the woods on my side.
Cannot wait for Wednesday, all the shot gunners will be running and gunning.
fish are biting and I got my poles

· Banned
81,617 Posts
Good luck. I hope you don't get stampeded.

15,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This morning I get into my blind on the alfalfa field at dark thirty. Hear nothing all morning. I was reading a book and about 8:30 look up and see 2 jakes about 70 yards out. I picked up my call an just as I start to call I see a head 10 feet from the blind. Yep, the big old tom snuck in not making a sound. Well off they all went. Nothing the rest of the morning, Went fishing, caught a bunch of white bass. Came back got in my evening blind, hear a couple gobblers and hens to the west. About 5ish, here comes that old tom again, this time he totally ignores the decoy and my calls, just walks on by. Had a hen come by and keep my decoy company for a while When I left about 7pm there were 3 toms a bunch of hens and some jakes coming from the alfalfa field, figures. Found out that these birds are making a big circle everyday. They are roosting on public, flying down on private, resting on public between 11 and 4 then heading back to the roost and getting there around 8pm.

Reactions: Refuze2falo and 20'

15,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
This morning in the alfalfa field, it was dark but could hear gobbling up and down the creek. At dawn, had 2 hens fly down along with a jake into the middle of the field. A bit later 3 toms come running out of the woods into the middle of the field. A hen landed next to my decoy. They all just fed around for a while. Later I could see a tom comig from the far end. He got to with in 20 yards oof me and here comes the 3 tomms and run it off. About 30 minutes later he tries to come over, he is actually pecking the decoy but on the other side of it from me. Here comes the 3 amigos run him off again. This time while they were chasing him another tom shows up and he comes over to check out the hen, shot him in full strut.
Sorry about the picture, I was running late to take my 92 year old mother to her docs appointment.

Vertebrate Wild turkey Phasianidae Grass Scaled reptile

15,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This evenings hunt , went like this, first of all, shotgun season starts tomorrow, lot of "scouting" going on by cruising the roads. It is public hunting. On the way to my blind I saw turkeys in the field(cannot see field from the road). I go around and sneak to my blind, crawl out and put a decoy out. About 30 minutes later here comes a hen, the others are slowly heading my way. Not really to me but they roost on past me a ways. Hen is just pecking around 30 feet from me. All of a sudden the 3 amigos go running across the field, I look and they are all heading up into the pasture. I started looking around and a guy was walking on the other side of the creek.
Will see if I can get up early enough to get my spot. I have a premo spot for tomorrow evening if it is not raining.

Reactions: Refuze2falo

15,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Got to blind real early, no gobbling at all, unlike yesterday. About 6:30am hear a gobble south of me. I called lightly, started reading. Every now and then I heard him gobble. Arund 7:30 I heard a gobble prety close. Looked an hewas right at the field edge strutting. Figured there was a hen in the woods. I called softly, her answered. So he knew I was there. Preetty soon the hen comes out and starts heading towards me with him in tow. At 70 yards or so, she turned off and went into the trees, I called softly and he came with his head down. 10 yard shot.
10 inch beard 1 inch spurs, weighed 57 pounds after carrying him, the blind the chair, the moving blanket and bow

Phasianidae Wild turkey Bird Beak Plant

Plant Wood Natural material Tree Terrestrial plant

Attachments

15,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Game warden stopped by as I was walking out, said I had a lot of company this morning. He said vehicles on each side of the bridge, and in the parking lots on each side.
I knew one guy was set up in the field I was in. He was the guy who walked in last night. He was around the corner from me and is a good turkey hunter. I gathered my stuff up and walked out quietly.

· King of Callaway
43,375 Posts
Game warden stopped by as I was walking out, said I had a lot of company this morning. He said vehicles on each side of the bridge, and in the parking lots on each side.
I knew one guy was set up in the field I was in. He was the guy who walked in last night. He was around the corner from me and is a good turkey hunter. I gathered my stuff up and walked out quietly.
Got to crowded for me out there a few years ago, but in however many years I hunted out there, I ran into several wardens, never had a problem with a one of them, matter of fact they were pretty helpful. :cheers:

15,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yesterday evening I went to go fishing, drove down to the river, an as I was getting out a bulb dimmed in my brain. Where is my fishing license? I looked all over, then it dawned on me, I think it was in my hand when I was cleaning out the truck. I left figuring my luck the game warden would show up. This morning when he stopped, I mentioned that I drove down to go fishing and then remember I threw the permit in the trash, and he said, I saw you drive down, then looked like you were looking for something(he was watching me). He said he could have looked it up for me and would not have gotten a ticket, Now I know.....
he did not check my turkey permits or tags...

Reactions: fishshooter

· Banned
81,617 Posts
Sounds like a fun hunt . It ended with a nice bird . Congrats.

Reactions: Dafish

15,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sounds like a great trip! Congrats on the birds. You going fishing now?
nope, took my mother grocery shopping now taking her out for supper, heading home in the morning. She eats like a bird...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.