Kansas public land

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting General' started by KChunter, Mar 16, 2006.

1. KChunter

KChunter Senior Member

Anyone have any experience turkey hunting public land in Kansas within about an hour or two of Kansas City?

2. JackJr

JackJr New Member

Nov 30, 2002
    Land Of BLAHS
    KChunter, if you go to the Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks web-site it has all of the WIHAs listed or you can go to their location on west 95th and pick up a copy. I hunt the WIHAs out in the NW corner for Rios and have been very successful on public ground. Henry should be along some time later and he can fill you in about areas closer to KC.

Jack

3. BigJake

BigJake New Member

Dec 27, 2005
    I've hunted WIHA land near Ft. Scott. Pretty good hunting. The birds are Easterns though.

The land will be shown in the WIHA book for Bourbon Co.

Good luck.

4. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    Did a lot of pheasant and quail hunting up in North central Kansas on the walk in areas but never for turkeys. In fact...I don't remember ever seeing any up in Nemaha county. North of Concordia has quite a few but thats farther than a couple of hours away for sure.

5. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

What used to be unit 9 deer hunting unit,,should'nt be much more than 2 hours from KC. It's almost north central. When we scouted and deer hunted it,,there were quite a few birds wherever we found any concentration of timber. One thing I noticed was that the locals in that area,,hated turkey. You could maybe knock on some doors and get private land permission too. The WIHA enrollment changes from year to year, so I can't give you an specifics.

:cheers::cheers:

6. JackJr

JackJr New Member

Nov 30, 2002
    Land Of BLAHS
    That's is one thing I forgot to add. The big farm operations really, really hate turkeys. I've had some farmers suggest I kill everyone I see.:roll2:

Jack

7. BigJake

BigJake New Member

Dec 27, 2005
    :D That's true. The farmer that owns the land that I hunt on has said the same thing. He will catch me at my truck before I go to the field and tell me where they are. When I come out he will ask if I saw any and then almost get mad when I say yes, but not the one I wanted. :rotfl:

8. grunter73

grunter73 Active Member

Dec 14, 2005
    Lincoln County
    Last year opening thursday of kansas season I hunted La Cynge area there on the missouri line, then the next two days I stayed in Emporia and hunted around the Melvern Lake area. There was plenty of birds at each place. This year I'll be heading back, maybe try flint hills and fall river areas. Make sure and check what areas you need non-toxic shot.
    Man I can't wait.
    Good luck!:cheers:

9. Vector

Vector VECtor Custom Calls

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    The further you get from KC, it gets a TON better. Those KS boys have not figured out that they're sitting on a gold mine yet!

Parker

10. Hoytshooter

Hoytshooter Active Member

Mar 7, 2005
    Small Buck, MO
    There is a ton of private land just west of lawrence around Clinton lake. Tons of deer and Turkey

11. The Fall River area is a great place to bag a tom....I have hunted it for several years now but it is beginning to see ALOT of pressure....There are some great WIHA in KS and a definitely worth a look.... Like others said you can gain alot of private land to hunt on for turkeys in KS rather easily....GOOD LUCK!!!

12. BigJake

BigJake New Member

Dec 27, 2005
    I have:D

But then I'm not really a Kansas boy either. Just a displaced Missourian. You are right though, I turkey and deer hunt more than anyone I know that also calls themselves hunters.:cheers:

13. KChunter

KChunter Senior Member

Thanks for the info. I was thinking La Cyne also. I deer hunted there a couple of years ago and didn't see a whole lot of hunters, so I figure it would be even less for turkey season. I'll let you know where I end up and post some pics if successful.