Kansas Hunt With My Son

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting General' started by JackJr, Apr 13, 2006.

1. JackJr

JackJr New Member

Nov 30, 2002
    Land Of BLAHS
    Went yesterday and today in SE Kansas with my son. Second youth hunt this eason for me. My son is 31 though.:D The spot we set up in is probably my all time favorite turkey hunting spot. Had no luck yesterday but did hear lots of gobbles and about as many hen yelps and cuts. Two nice jakes did come into the decoys about 7 AM. Hunting all day and that is the only action we had. This morning the birds were even more fired up and the only calls I did were gobbles trying to irritate one of the Toms into coming our way. Where we hunt the Toms roost on the property next to where we hunt and there is alarge ravine that stops them from coming our. Most of the time they go north for about 1/2 mile and then come back. This morning that is exactly what they did. I heard two gobbles going away for some time but they would gobble every time I hit the call. Eventually I noticed they were heading back out direction. Had to reach down and wke up my son and of course he thought I was BSin' him until I hit the call and got a couple of answering gobbles. The teo Toms shut up and I knew they would be here pretty quick. I heard some spitting and drumming and I could see the birds at about 25 yards but on the other side of some small cedars. Two jakes had also made the trip with the Toms. One jake came over to the decoys and messed around in them for about 5 minutes, while the other jake was off our left front which made it tough with two sets of eyes on us and then the jake in the decoys went back over towards the Toms. By this time the lead gobbler was gobbling fairly steady and I whispered to Adam to shoot that sucker as soon as he could see him. Took about 15 minutes before the Tom showed his face and then Adam nailed him to the ground. The other Tom stood in the same spot he had been standing and Adam told me to take him. Trouble was I couldn't see him so I told Adam that he should take him. He said "No way my season will be done." Anyways the bird he shot weighed 22lbs, had three beards and 7/8ths spurs. This bird is a Rio-Eastern Hybrid and by the pic you can really see the difference between the Hybrid, Rio and Eastern. Take a look at the fan in the D.R.N.18's post and look at the difference. A really beautiful fan. We stayed til about noon and the almost 90 degree weather did me in. Too durn hot for turkey hunting as far as I'm concerned. Another great hunt with my son and some really cool memories for me.:cheers:

Jack

2. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

Sounds like a great hunt there....congrats!!! Always good to see "The Show"!!

3. huntforfunnfood

huntforfunnfood New Member

Jun 30, 2003
    new bloomfield mo
    way to go jack what a good day

4. xxx

xxx Guest

:cheers::cheers: Great hunt bud.. I know you had to have enjoyed it......

5. JackJr

JackJr New Member

Nov 30, 2002
    Land Of BLAHS
    Dave, yep we had a great time. He doesn't get off much time from work so these hunts mean a lot to us.;)

Forgot to mention these birds were called in with one of my own Box calls for the long range duties and a Poor Valley slate for the close in work.;):cheers: Light clucking and purring on the slate is what finally drug this guy in for the shot.:cheers:

Jack

6. Keith

Keith New Member

Dec 13, 2002
    Springfield, MO.
    Congrats.......I know you love creating these memories......:cheers:

7. hunter7x

hunter7x New Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Indiana
    :eek:

Awesome Jack !
    Can't wait to get my own Jake in to the Turkey hunting. He's content with deer hunting right now. Baseball take front row for him this time of year.

8. semohuntingguy

semohuntingguy New Member

Nov 2, 2005
    southeast mo.
    sounds like the type of hunt we dream of congrats on the fine looking bird

9. JackJr

JackJr New Member

Nov 30, 2002
    Land Of BLAHS
    Maybe a little better pic to show the difference in the fan.

Jack

10. Chairman

Chairman Senior Member

Dec 2, 2002
    Henry County
    Congrat's, Adam! :cheers:

You too, Jack...way to go! :cool:

Get some rest now Jack, 'cause your turkey callin' expertise will be on call again, in a couple of weeks... :D

11. BIG OL AL

BIG OL AL New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    High Ridge MO
    CONGRATS!!!!! Very nice bird!!!:cheers::cheers::cheers:

12. chuck88

chuck88 Active Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Fulton MO
    congrats... nice looking bird

13. Just show's that you never get too old to enjoy hunting with the kids. Congrats Jackjr and nice bird :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

14. winger

winger New Member

Oct 24, 2003
    job well done, i know i am really looking forward to getting out and going after them with my dad here in the near future.

15. Lefty

Lefty New Member

Jun 29, 2004
    MO
    Sounds like a great hunt!!
    :cheers::cheers: