Kansas Buck Story

Discussion in '2011 Whitetail General' started by bowhuntKS, Nov 9, 2010.

1. bowhuntKS

bowhuntKS King of the White Ninjas

Sep 11, 2006
    KS
    Now this is the story of "Lucky"...my KS buck this year.

It all started out during Muzz. season way back in Sept. I've been hunting a specific deer very hard for 2 years now and he seems to summer on a place I can hunt but if you don't kill him in Sept. he's gone until the late season.

Head out from work one Sept. afternoon...muzzleloader in toe and planned on smoking a doe if I got a crack at one. About 45 minutes before dark I had two nice 8pts walk in...both looked to be 3 1/2 and both were solid deer. The first was a buck I know well and just has a huge spread and great tine length but no mass at all. He wasn't a shooter. The second buck was new on the farm and I had to look him up and down really really close. Good tine length, nice mass and a solid spread. I had the gun up on him, hammer back and elected to pass. Again I'm on the phone with Wings and he's telling me that I'm a moron for not taking this deer. It's early yet and no sense in pushing it. The deer got the name "Lucky" that night.

November rolls around. Not been able to get out much but I head to the stand Monday afternoon...20 mph winds and 70 degrees...fantastic:cool3: Again on the phone with Wings when I see horn coming through the CRP...grab my bow and wait. Lucky pops out and strolls past my stand at 10 yds. He's now on his third life. Get home that night and check weather.com...70's all week long. Made the decision that should Lucky reappear that morning he was gonna get smoked. Same stand due to the stupid SW wind the next morning...back comes Lucky only this time his luck had run out. 30 yd. shot and he went about 45 yds.
    Not the deer I had set my sights on this summer but for the first time in years I get to focus on doing some bird hunting and I'm gonna try this duck hunting thing out. Kinda nice to be done this early. One more trip to WI planned for the gun opener but I'm pretty much done for the year.

[file]147086[/file] [file]147088[/file]

2. Judah

Judah Crossbow supporter

Oct 19, 2007
    Warren County
    so that's the one you text me long ago saying you may need kicked for passing?

Nice!!!!! Great story!!!!! Thanks for sharing!!!! :cheers:

3. Wings Fan 19

Wings Fan 19 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Kansas City, MO.
    I'd a shot him if'n I'd not have been hungover from the Zac brown concert and get my rear end up in the am and headed west Monday am. :whiteflag:
    You aren't done for the year either. You'll be guiding me in KS and hunting some here in MOMO. :cheers::cheers:

4. Hayzer

Hayzer New Member

Sweet deal man:cheers:
    Congrats on two fine deer so far this fall:wave:

5. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Goodn Nick!

6. bowhuntKS

bowhuntKS King of the White Ninjas

Sep 11, 2006
    KS
    [rquote=1887824&tid=131515&author=judah]so that's the one you text me long ago saying you may need kicked for passing?

Nice!!!!! Great story!!!!! Thanks for sharing!!!! :cheers:[/rquote]

Yep...same buck

7. Judah

Judah Crossbow supporter

Oct 19, 2007
    Warren County
    wow, that's even :eek:: er

8. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    so when we goin duck huntin goat killa