Just some Observations and Thoughts

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting General' started by Whitemarsh, Apr 23, 2006.

1. Whitemarsh

Whitemarsh New Member

Jan 1, 2006
    Greene Co.
    The kids and I have been putting the birds to bed for the past week and have been listening to fly-down in the mornings. I've been cogitating about some of my observations and thoughts while spending time in the outdoors and thought I would put them in writing.

1. Nature is much more entertaining than TV.
    2. Toms in SW Adair county start heading to the roost about 7 pm.
    3. Toms are very talkative on the way to the roost.
    4. All birds are in the roost and quiet by 8:30 pm.
    5. The birds on Whitemarsh Farms' land return to the same general roosting area each evening, but not to the same trees.
    5. Toms respond well to Barred and Great Horned Owl hooting.
    6. My oldest son likes to practice owl hooting.
    7. Oldest son plus toms and owls can make a lot of noise.
    8. Owls can make multiple types of vocalizations.
    9. Owls will come to call.
    10. The sudden appearance of an owl scares the snot out of Whitemarsh, even the second time.
    11. Whippoorwills make the most beautiful sound this side of heaven.
    12. When you look up the spelling of whippoorwill you find they are also called goatsuckers.
    13. When nature wakes up it is a noisy place.
    14. Fly down in SW Adair Co. during the third week of April takes place shortly after 6 am.
    15. After flydown the toms and hens are very talkative and tend to disperse very quickly.
    16. Maximum gobbling occurs at approximately 7 am and essentially stops by 8 am.
    17. It is hard to get to school on time during the third week of April.
    18. The toms will gobble to loud noises after 8 am. especially door slams.
    19. Kids tend to slam doors when late to school.
    20. Kids learn quickly that slamming a car door makes a good locator call.
    21. Gold finches from 2 feet away are beautiful creatures.
    22. Great Blue Herons on the pond are a close second.
    23. Sitting on the deck on Sunday morning with a cup of coffee and practicing your turkey calls is a lot of fun.
    24. Don't practice your turkey calls on Sunday morning on your deck unless you want to see two foxes, three barn cats, the neighbor's dog, and a lonely hen up close and personal.
    25. For the first time in several years, Whitemarsh is excited about opening morning of Spring turkey season.

I would like to thank my friends at Missouri Whitetails.com for inviting me to join the forum and for getting me fired up again about hunting and fishing. Your many posts, both funny and serious, have kindled that burning desire to get out in the timber and on the water again. I know that my kids appreciate it. Again, thanks!!!!:wave:

Good luck to all who are hunting on Monday and be safe.

Mike

2. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

Whitemarsh...good post!!! Nice reminder of some of the more important things that spring brings to us!!!

3. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

Until one sets down next to you in the early morning and tries to burst your ear drums with his singing. When they get real close that music is very piercing. I love the song,,,but I'll take mine at a distance please.:D

:cheers::cheers:

4. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    I sure am getting a lot of trouble about that car door slamming thingy!!! lol

Thanks for the post!:cheers:

5. Lefty

Lefty New Member

Jun 29, 2004
    MO
    Great post Whitemarsh!
    I'm really pumped too!
    :cheers::cheers:

6. Gamegetter

Gamegetter Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2004
    Good stuff Whitemarsh. :eek:

7. Cburrows_tx

Cburrows_tx New Member

Nov 24, 2004
    Lamar Co. Texas
    Whitemarsh, We sure are glad taht you are out there with those young ones. You are teaching them important things, with memories taht they will cherish for a lifetime!

Isn't spring a beautiful thing!