Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Vendor
63,515 Posts
Predators are not the main factor, BUT number 2 in EVERY SINGLE DNR slide show, gotcha! Eliminate a bunch of them and add not as much of an advantage is needed! No one here has every said habitat is not the major play, but only a two (Hessue recently added) think habitat is the only play.
You seem to forget that predators are ALWAYS a factor for prey species, and always will be. They only mention predators because if they didnt people like you would lose your mind

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I may have saved some future turkeys and my trash can from getting raided by this **** ever again. I'm not sure if I will see more turkeys but I do know this, it wont get into my trash again. Carry on.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Predators are not the main factor, BUT number 2 in EVERY SINGLE DNR slide show, gotcha! Eliminate a bunch of them and add not as much of an advantage is needed! No one here has every said habitat is not the major play, but only a two (Hessue recently added) think habitat is the only play.

·
Vendor
63,515 Posts
I may have saved some future turkeys and my trash can from getting raided by this **** ever again. I'm not sure if I will see more turkeys but I do know this, it wont get into my trash again. Carry on.
When you only have one trash can to protect its pretty simple.... but it only works for a few weeks.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Like I've said / posted before...turkey's are just one of many species that we are seeing a decline with. And, it's a minute decline compared to many others.

"The problem goes beyond birds. Based on analyses of the nation’s best-studied groups of plants and animals—including birds, mammals, fish, reptiles, amphibians and vascular plants—scientists at NatureServe estimate that about a third of all U.S. species are at risk of extinction."

"Globally, we are facing a biodiversity crisis, and much of it is due to loss of habitat. That’s also the case for ruffed grouse. Increasing urban/agricultural sprawl and declining rates of forest management have resulted in unnaturally single-aged forest with little structural diversity. This leaves wildlife that need diverse forests (including ruffed grouse) in a lurch."
Can We Stop the Decline of the Ruffed Grouse? - Project Upland Magazine

"North America Has Lost More Than 1 in 4 Birds in Last 50 Years"

"Fewer than 40 percent of the 550 million acres of historical grasslands that once stretched from Alberta to Mexico remain today."

·
Biology nit wit exposer
80,689 Posts
You have your work cut out for you to reverse this trend. 😁

Screenshot_20200603-192049.png

·
Vendor
63,515 Posts
41 - 48 of 48 Posts