Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Vendor
63,515 Posts
Listened to this yesterday. The trapping guys will say "see, he says that adding trapping helps" which he does. What they will leave out is that hes talking about super intense trapping DURING NESTING/BROODING/FAWNING SEASONS. Also, hes talking about trapping on 10s of 1000s of acres... neither of which any of us can do.

Also, what I found interesting was that when habitat was sufficient they had good turkey numbers and hatches without trapping. Thats not what some here have claimed....

·
Registered
69,438 Posts
This is the first podcast that I've listen to from start to finish......Good Lsten!!

·
Registered
21,657 Posts
Listened to this yesterday. The trapping guys will say "see, he says that adding trapping helps" which he does. What they will leave out is that hes talking about super intense trapping DURING NESTING/BROODING/FAWNING SEASONS. Also, hes talking about trapping on 10s of 1000s of acres... neither of which any of us can do.

Also, what I found interesting was that when habitat was sufficient they had good turkey numbers and hatches without trapping. Thats not what some here have claimed....
so, you continue to be a mind reader! and to your 2nd ingenious point, trapping on sufficient and good/great habitat only helps produce more as well:)

·
Vendor
63,515 Posts
so, you continue to be a mind reader! and to your 2nd ingenious point, trapping on sufficient and good/great habitat only helps produce more as well:)
No need to be a mind reader, he states it very clearly if you listen to the entire episode.

·
Biology nit wit exposer
80,689 Posts
This has been a good podcast.

A. Trapping is a good tool.

B . Coyote harvest needs to be large scale , such as a county wide or state wide removal. So do your part and if you like trapping them, trap. If you see them , opportunistically kill them.

C. Mesopredators like raccoons with smaller home ranges can have populations lowered on a small scale.

D. When you apply nest predator trapping to good habitat like I did you are most likely to accomplish significant improvements like I have. 👍

Reactions: Mailman and 20'

·
Vendor
63,515 Posts
This has been a good podcast.

A. Trapping is a good tool.

B . Coyote harvest needs to be large scale , such as a county wide or state wide removal. So do your part and if you like trapping them, trap. If you see them , opportunistically kill them.

C. Mesopredators like raccoons with smaller home ranges can have populations lowered on a small scale.

D. When you apply nest predator trapping to good habitat like I did you are most likely to accomplish significant improvements like I have. 👍
A. Correct. Its just not a good tool to improve game species.

B. Coyote removal must be large scale but also INTENSIVE AND TIMED AT THE RIGHT TIME, WHICH IS MAY - JUNE.

C. This was not stated in the podcast. The only way to lower them at a "small scale" is removing DURING NESTING SEASON.

D. No. He stated very clearly that in good habitat they had good hatches regardless of trapping. You didnt have good hatches. Youve stated that over and over. Adding trapping in good habitat, intensively, timed at the appropriate time, (illegal in MO), and at a large scale (ehich you dont have) can produce some minimum positive results.

That was a good try, but you need to stop trying to lie to yourself.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Grant Woods showing clips of a coyote, bobcat, and a hawk(not the HAWK:) attacking turkey decoys. He states that he and his clients have increased poult numbers by habitat improvement combined with predator control. Pretty Controversial stuff😊

Login • Instagram

·
Vendor
63,515 Posts
Grant Woods showing clips of a coyote, bobcat, and a hawk(not the HAWK:) attacking turkey decoys. He states that he and his clients have increased poult numbers by habitat improvement combined with predator control. Pretty Controversial stuff

Login • Instagram
Too bad he doesnt have proof....
Screenshot_20210224-065228_Samsung%20Internet.jpg

·
Vendor
63,515 Posts
Grant Woods showing clips of a coyote, bobcat, and a hawk(not the HAWK:) attacking turkey decoys. He states that he and his clients have increased poult numbers by habitat improvement combined with predator control. Pretty Controversial stuff

Login • Instagram
Doesnt seem to be making much headway...
Screenshot_20210224-075213_Facebook.jpg

·
Registered
17 Posts
Too bad he doesnt have proof....
I saw what looked a lot like proof in several poults running around in another clip he posted. I’ll happily take advice from a biologist who has used his 2000 acres as a test bed for improving turkey and deer populations.
I actually agree with you that habitat is the most important improvement you can make on your property, followed by predator control if you have time.
I just purchased property about 10 miles from Grants farm, as a part time Missourian I’ll only have time to concentrate on habitat, but if I meet any neighbors that like to trap, they’ll be welcome.
Not exactly the same, but in areas that see a decline in deer and bighorn sheep here in Az., our biologists liberalize lion bag limits in those areas, some units have a lion per day harvest limit. Not a lot of raccoons or possums killing our turkeys or new world piglets, but lions and bobcats take a toll.

·
Vendor
63,515 Posts
I saw what looked a lot like proof in several poults running around in another clip he posted. I’ll happily take advice from a biologist who has used his 2000 acres as a test bed for improving turkey and deer populations.
I actually agree with you that habitat is the most important improvement you can make on your property, followed by predator control if you have time.
I just purchased property about 10 miles from Grants farm, as a part time Missourian I’ll only have time to concentrate on habitat, but if I meet any neighbors that like to trap, they’ll be welcome.
Not exactly the same, but in areas that see a decline in deer and bighorn sheep here in Az., our biologists liberalize lion bag limits in those areas, some units have a lion per day harvest limit. Not a lot of raccoons or possums killing our turkeys or new world piglets, but lions and bobcats take a toll.
Heres why I say his trapping isnt impactful. 2 of his former interns, guys that worked for him for years and did the trapping or at least collected data say its not something worth doing UNLESS you have every other habitat thing done, which they have never seen.

Id let a trapper trap my farms. I just wouldn't waste my time doing it myself.

·
Biology nit wit exposer
80,689 Posts
Grant Woods showing clips of a coyote, bobcat, and a hawk(not the HAWK:) attacking turkey decoys. He states that he and his clients have increased poult numbers by habitat improvement combined with predator control. Pretty Controversial stuff😊

Login • Instagram

Grants a smart guy and realizes that good habitat fills in and holds more nest predators than poor habitat does , so to be all it can be it needs nest predators removed. Same concept as removing deer to maintain balance .

Reactions: 20' and AV8TOR

·
Vendor
63,515 Posts
So that highlighted “science talk” isn’t code for trapping absolutely helps.....behind closed doors...of course!
Then have him show his proof...

I have it on good authority that "they will trap the proving grounds as long as we are sponsored by a trapping company"....

·
Vendor
63,515 Posts
Grants a smart guy and realizes that good habitat fills in and holds more nest predators than poor habitat does , so to be all it can be it needs nest predators removed. Same concept as removing deer to maintain balance .
It seems odd then that his interns dont trap, you know, since they were the ones doing the work and recording the data and results .....

·
Registered
21,657 Posts
Then have him show his proof...

I have it on good authority that "they will trap the proving grounds as long as we are sponsored by a trapping company"....
[/QUOTE

Wow! You’re special🤡

·
Registered
21,657 Posts
It seems odd then that his interns dont trap, you know, since they were the ones doing the work and recording the data and results .....
Probably because it is a ton of work and the fur market is way down??? Aren’t the trying a hustle for land management?

·
Vendor
63,515 Posts
Just the facts bobbi

·
Registered
21,657 Posts
Just the facts bobbi
Facts, really? They were his interns, interns don’t intern forever! Can we fleece people by being land consultants or work our butts off trapping their properties???? Which is easier?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts