just got some equipment... what can I plant now?

Discussion in 'Deer Management, Habitat & Conservation' started by bigredhusker, Apr 25, 2006.

1. bigredhusker

bigredhusker Member

Jan 25, 2006
    Liberty Missouri
    Just got me that 8n I posted about on the other board topic. Now I'm wondering what to plant. I have 80 acres (60% wooded with small plots cleared out in the woods) and then abuot 20 acres of Alfalfa planted.

I was going to do some milo this june.. anything else you would throw out? I've got a disc that's waiting to be used..

thanks.. I'm just east of Cameron.. thanks

2. Hayzer

Hayzer New Member

I'd wait until fall and plant some ladino clover.

3. 90acres

90acres Senior Member

Mar 4, 2003
    Wardsville
    Soil test first

4. rmr

rmr New Member

for small plots this time of year , Well after the 1st week of May you might try some round up ready soybeans,
    On new ground I would do a soil test also, Soybeans
    and clover have worked the best for me over the years
    My opinion if you cant control the weeds you wont end up with much thats why I like round up ready beans or corn
    small plots of milo and corn are fairly expensive to grow and the coons deer will eat a small plot of corn pretty fast and
    black birds will eat a small plot of milo if they find it. You might keep the plots worked this summer and 1st of September plant wheat and oats mised in with clover for a fall plot. if the clover doesnt come in the fall you can frost seed in the winter jan/feb and should have a good stand for next year. Have Fun.