Just curious,..............

Discussion in '2011 Whitetail General' started by Mastevt, Nov 3, 2010.

1. Mastevt

Mastevt Strutt Buster

Apr 16, 2009
    Grain Valley
    I got to thinking this am while on bow stand, yea I know, rarity isn't it! Anyways, while I was pulling my bow up with the rope, it brought back memories of past years in the delima I've always thought about during gun season. The proper way to pull your gun up into your stand, besides the obvious, unloaded. What I'm talking about is how you attach the rope to your weapon. With bows it's easy, D clip in the top wheel or cam, and your on your way. For me, I stress over how I attach the rope, around the scope? the butt stock, etc?

So, if anybody cares to share, I would appreciate what you guys could share, so I'm not so nervous about pulling my gun up. I would appreciate it.

2. PMan

PMan Retired

Dec 3, 2002
    I attach the retrieve rope to the sling-----

3. redlabel1

redlabel1 New Member

Aug 8, 2007
    cass co.
    [rquote=1878589&tid=130845&author=PMan]I attach the retrieve rope to the sling-----[/rquote]x2

4. boatcaptain

boatcaptain Active Member

May 31, 2010
    ELM TREE MO
    [rquote=1878589&tid=130845&author=PMan]I attach the retrieve rope to the sling-----[/rquote] X2 :wave:

5. Gamegetter

Gamegetter Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2004
    [rquote=1878589&tid=130845&author=PMan]I attach the retrieve rope to the sling-----[/rquote]

I attach to sling also and make sure it is unloaded and then still make sure the barrel isn't pointing at you when pulling it up or letting it down.

6. Bones-N-Beards

Bones-N-Beards Member

Sep 1, 2010
    Centralia,MO
    I have a sling on my rifle, and the metal clasp that secures my sling to the sling holes on my gun is an oval shape. there is one on the forestock of the gun, and one on the underside of the butt of the gun. (if you have a sling on your gun it attaches the same way) any way, I always hook the D-Clip or end of the rope, through that metal oval clasp on the butt end of the gun. therefore when I pull my rifle up, the barrel of the gun is always pointing toward the ground. I always pull my rifle up unloaded, but just for safety purposes and in case by some crazy chance it did have a shell in it, the barrel would be pointed at the ground. Just how I do it, i'm sure there's a million ways other's do it.

7. Kickers288

Kickers288 Active Member

attach it to the thumb hole on my sling

8. Mastevt

Mastevt Strutt Buster

Apr 16, 2009
    Grain Valley
    I assume all you guys have your ropes short so as when the gun is attached, it is not touching the ground when hanging? Dumb question I know.

9. venatic

venatic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The barrel should always be pointing to the ground when raising and lowering. My rope is usually longer than the stand height, but as soon as I feel resistance, I ease it up slowly. Same when lowering it.

10. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    I guess I'm the odd one here......The way I figure it if I have a sling on the gun to carry it from my truck to my stand and that is safe it should still be safe enough to still carry it up into my stand. Granted I usually just have it slung over one shoulder when walking in case I have a shot on the way to my stand in the afternoon....but when I get to the stand I slip it off my shoulder and sling it across my back with the sling going from shoulder to hip across my chest. Both hands free to climb with and no unsafe barrel waving in the wind when spinning in circles when pulled up by the rope. If someone feels that this is an unsafe act please point out which part is unsafe.

Edit....I forgot to add the gun is unloaded while climbing in and out of the stand.

11. 1FastCam

1FastCam New Member

Nov 25, 2002
    CT
    A attach it to the sling with the muzzle down. Easier to clean dirt outta the barrel than lead outta your skull.:D

12. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    On the sling and make sure the bbl doesnt get plugged when you start to bring up the butt end... a well placed leaf works well to prevent this... magazine detached if possible and action OPEN.
    Otherwise, if there is a sling, I have it on my back climbing into ladderstands and feel comfortable with that... obviously with the action disengaged or magazine removed or BOTH.

13. Z-BOYS DAD

Z-BOYS DAD New Member

Nov 24, 2009
    wooldridge mo
    Dont have a sling on my 30-30 so I put the rope through the lever and around the butt stock

14. Timmytaters

Timmytaters Moderator

Feb 14, 2007
    lincoln co. mo
    [rquote=1878591&tid=130845&author=redlabel1][rquote=1878589&tid=130845&author=PMan]I attach the retrieve rope to the sling-----[/rquote]x2[/rquote]
    x3

15. dodge

dodge Active Member

Oct 8, 2010
    cedar hill, mo
    or if you have a sling on your rifle just put it on your shoulder while climbing if possible

16. Bones-N-Beards

Bones-N-Beards Member

Sep 1, 2010
    Centralia,MO
    I also climb the stand with the sling across my body as well, as long as I don't have a backpack on. If I have a pack on, I do as I previously posted. I believe as long as the weapon is unloaded there is no harm in climbing with the rifle across your back