Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner

Just checking in.

1K views 24 replies 14 participants last post by  hunter7x 
#1 ·
Originally posted by Center Punch

I should have been mad, but I was in heaven. If this was as easy for me as hitting a clay bird, hitting a slow pitch softball, or playing catch... I wouldn't enjoy it near as much I don't suspect.

I love this game!!!
Amen..............:cheers:

#3 ·
I have not been able to get out yet. Youth hunt with my son was awesome. No shot but what a show we witnessed. Yep on the blind. Good luck:wave:

#4 ·
I got out for the first time today, and almost scored.

I hadn't seen or heard anything, so I was scootering around checking the place out. (A friend's place in Dittmer). I was right behind the house and heard a nice gobble from down the hill.
I got off my scooter and started crawling and calling, and getting gobbles from two birds at the same time. As I got closer I could see several hens walking around, and then I spotted the two jakes. We kept calling to each other, but they wouldn't come any closer, so I kept crawling closer and closer. I finally got within range by crawling up behind a large tree that forks just above ground level, and as I'm looking at the jakes with my bead on them I notice the fence post between me and them. :banghead:
I lowered my shotgun, tried calling more excitedly to entice them across the fence, but they refused. They both ended up just standing there putting, I presume because they couldn't see the hen calling to them (who refuses to come any closer), but I did get a few more gobbles out of them by cackling. After about 15 minutes of this exchange they slowly walked further away from the fence, in the wrong direction of coarse.

Ready to play the game another day. :eek::peepwall::sniper:

#8 ·
I hate to admit it, but some of the best hunts I've experienced were on gobblers that got away. It can be maddening at the time, but they sure make for some great memories.

There's a couple more weeks to go. :banana:

#11 ·
Mike I caint hit one of them running birds either. I had two witnesses Saturday to this feat.;) Sounds like you had a blast anyways.:eek:

Jack

#13 ·
Mike well man oh man I do feel yer pain. This has been my worse year for missing turkeys ever. Missed twice on running birds and that ain't happened in a long time. I'm thinking I need a scatter gun for those kind. It is definitely frustrating to mess up when you finally get the opportunity to pull the hammer.:frown:

Jack

#16 ·
Originally posted by Center Punch

When do you all think it'll be ok to hunt that spot again? You think he'll steer clear of it for a few days at least??
You never know about those dudes. He might have already forgotten about it. Since you were on the move and were'nt calling and decoying, it might be worth a try to setup in there early in a different part of the clearing. Especially if there was another gobbler doing alot of gobbling in the vicinity.

:cheers::cheers:

#17 ·
Keep at it C.P.

I've missed a couple of birds in my short turkey hunting career. One got away unscathed the other made the mistake of stopping again...ya ever try to reload an Encore while shakin like a dog poopin razor blades with a Turkey with a rope hangin from it's chest is standing there looking around.....

#18 ·
Originally posted by hunter7x

...ya ever try to reload an Encore while shakin like a dog poopin razor blades
Been there, done that ~ but with a nice 8 point just standing there, after I blew the first shot. I couldn't find my jacket pocket (where I kept my extra shells), because the dang orange vest was covering it!
:wink:

That's alright, though ~ I still love my Encore...

#19 ·
:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Fantastic !!!!

And one of the coolest things about your story...you actually have a buddy named Franko ! lol

Anxiously awaiting pictures...........

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.