Just checking in.

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting General' started by Keith, Apr 27, 2006.

1. Keith

Keith New Member

Dec 13, 2002
    Springfield, MO.
    Amen..............:cheers:

2. BIG OL AL

BIG OL AL New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    High Ridge MO
    Man you're killing me. What a great time!!!!! I have been going crazy waiting to get out. All these great stories are just making it worse. I sure hope we have better weather than what the weather men are calling for this weekend.

3. Keith

Keith New Member

Dec 13, 2002
    Springfield, MO.
    I have not been able to get out yet. Youth hunt with my son was awesome. No shot but what a show we witnessed. Yep on the blind. Good luck:wave:

4. 67Firebird

67Firebird Chicken Man

I got out for the first time today, and almost scored.

I hadn't seen or heard anything, so I was scootering around checking the place out. (A friend's place in Dittmer). I was right behind the house and heard a nice gobble from down the hill.
    I got off my scooter and started crawling and calling, and getting gobbles from two birds at the same time. As I got closer I could see several hens walking around, and then I spotted the two jakes. We kept calling to each other, but they wouldn't come any closer, so I kept crawling closer and closer. I finally got within range by crawling up behind a large tree that forks just above ground level, and as I'm looking at the jakes with my bead on them I notice the fence post between me and them. :banghead:
    I lowered my shotgun, tried calling more excitedly to entice them across the fence, but they refused. They both ended up just standing there putting, I presume because they couldn't see the hen calling to them (who refuses to come any closer), but I did get a few more gobbles out of them by cackling. After about 15 minutes of this exchange they slowly walked further away from the fence, in the wrong direction of coarse.

Ready to play the game another day. :eek::peepwall::sniper:

5. Cburrows_tx

Cburrows_tx New Member

Nov 24, 2004
    Lamar Co. Texas
    Great stories guys!!! Good luck with them birds! I am ready to head out next Friday!

6. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    good luck mike and gogop :cheers:

7. 67Firebird

67Firebird Chicken Man

Thanks C_F and Rebel.

Maybe if my calling was better I'd have gotten one today. :stickfight:

8. Mark Twain

Mark Twain New Member

Jul 15, 2003
    St. Charles
    I hate to admit it, but some of the best hunts I've experienced were on gobblers that got away. It can be maddening at the time, but they sure make for some great memories.

There's a couple more weeks to go. :banana:

9. membergone

membergone New Member

Jan 17, 2004
    CP, Glad to see ya round!

Keep after them public land birds. They can be had! I kilt one opening day and "attempted" to kill one today.

(DSG thinks he ducked the shot string!) :D

10. Hannibal

Hannibal Senior Member

Dec 30, 2004
    Greene county
    keep at it CP. but remember you cant kill birds this late in the season, especially with all the ticks and chiggers and other stuff that gets in your way.......:wave:

11. JackJr

JackJr New Member

Nov 30, 2002
    Land Of BLAHS
    Mike I caint hit one of them running birds either. I had two witnesses Saturday to this feat.;) Sounds like you had a blast anyways.:eek:

Jack

12. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    Hang in there man, i feel your pain :cheers:

13. JackJr

JackJr New Member

Nov 30, 2002
    Land Of BLAHS
    Mike well man oh man I do feel yer pain. This has been my worse year for missing turkeys ever. Missed twice on running birds and that ain't happened in a long time. I'm thinking I need a scatter gun for those kind. It is definitely frustrating to mess up when you finally get the opportunity to pull the hammer.:frown:

Jack

14. Chairman

Chairman Senior Member

Dec 2, 2002
    Henry County

Don't worry 'bout it...no pressure, dude.

This is the first time in 8 years, that I've scored during the Spring season.

We're partners to the end... :cheers:

15. Chairman

Chairman Senior Member

Dec 2, 2002
    Henry County

"Do unto others, as you would have them do unto you..." :wave:

16. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

You never know about those dudes. He might have already forgotten about it. Since you were on the move and were'nt calling and decoying, it might be worth a try to setup in there early in a different part of the clearing. Especially if there was another gobbler doing alot of gobbling in the vicinity.

:cheers::cheers:

17. hunter7x

hunter7x New Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Indiana
    Keep at it C.P.

I've missed a couple of birds in my short turkey hunting career. One got away unscathed the other made the mistake of stopping again...ya ever try to reload an Encore while shakin like a dog poopin razor blades with a Turkey with a rope hangin from it's chest is standing there looking around.....

18. Chairman

Chairman Senior Member

Dec 2, 2002
    Henry County

Been there, done that ~ but with a nice 8 point just standing there, after I blew the first shot. I couldn't find my jacket pocket (where I kept my extra shells), because the dang orange vest was covering it!
    :wink:

That's alright, though ~ I still love my Encore...

19. hunter7x

hunter7x New Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Indiana
    :cheers::cheers::cheers:

Fantastic !!!!

And one of the coolest things about your story...you actually have a buddy named Franko ! lol

Anxiously awaiting pictures...........

20. Chairman

Chairman Senior Member

Dec 2, 2002
    Henry County
    What a hunt! :dancin:

Congrat's again, CP...