Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been deer hunting for many years now and have wanted to start bowhunting for almost as long. I just can't take it anymore and I told my wife that I (at 36 years old) was gonna start bowhunting next year. So I have till next season to get set up. I know what I need basically but was wanting some of the great advice from fellow Missouri bowhunters. I'm not even going to ask what brand of bow (I don't want to create even more conflict). More along the lines of what type of rest? How many arrows? what kind of quiver. Do I need to be decked out head to toe in scentloc? If it dosen't create to much discussion - what type of broadhead, fixed or mechanical? Any tips that someone may be willing to share that would cut the learning curve down a bit?

·
Registered
473 Posts
For every tip one person gives, someone else will give the exact opposite.

I started bowhunting 3 years ago. I just bought a basic bow and setup, took alot of advice from the guy who set it up for me at Bass Pro. Then I have added equiptment each year. I feel like I am now all set up, and this year I finally connected on my first bowkill.

·
Grrrrrrr
29,980 Posts
Honestly....what I believe is that it's all good. Go to a pro shop, pick out a few bows in the price range you can afford and have them set them up for you to test out on their range. A good pro shop will let you shoot every model there if you so choose and they also will let you try out different kinds of rests, releases, sights...etc. The trick is to find what feels the best in your hands and is the most comfortable to shoot. You'll get tons of feedback on which sight is best, which release, which rest, which arrows, which bow, which broadheads...yada yada yada....but the truth is it ALL KILLS DEER. Figure out what you like....you don't have to spend a fortune but by all means if you want to go for it!!

You need to be covered from head to toe in camo....play the wind....don't worry about scentloc. There will be folks that disagree with that and to be honest it's just my opinion.

·
Banned
81,616 Posts
Go to a qualified bow shop and have them setup the bow for you and coach you in getting started shooting right. All the hunting accessories like broadheads can be added later. Shooting form and learning to shoot accurately with practice will be much more important than scentloc and broadheads.

:cheers::cheers:

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My game plan is to shoot several bows to see which one "feels" the best to me. Kinda why I didn't ask for which brand of bow. Last time I shot a bow carbon arrows weren't even thought of yet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.