just a question....

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting General' started by 270shooter, Apr 18, 2006.

1. 270shooter

270shooter New Member

Feb 3, 2003
    A quick question for ya.....
    Is it alright to take my 11 year old with me turkey hunting even though he hasn't taken the hunters safety test but, I did? He will NOT be carrying a gun or anything, he just wants to tag along.

Thanks in advance for the feedback,

270shooter

2. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

As long as he's not hunting it is'nt against any rules I've ever heard of. If he wanted to hunt, he should be eligible for a youth tag.

:cheers::cheers:

3. shortmag

shortmag New Member

Feb 22, 2006
    It's funny you should ask that question. I just had a converstation with the local 4-H shooting sports instructor here in Indiana. She is also does over 15 hunter's ed classes a year. She said.......

The statute in Indiana reads anyone in the open pursuit of wild game......

By that definition then anyone pursuing any animal during hunting season only (as if this makes sense at all) would need to be a card carrying individual if born after the year 1980. That being said, she also stated if there is a C.O. out there that would try to ticket or prosecute a father or mother for trying to get their child interested "he should be fired and go sell used cars or something". Dont know if this helps but that is what I was told about my 8 year old son.

4. hunter7x

hunter7x New Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Indiana
    I don't know how that could hold water at all if they weren't carrying a firearm or bow.

5. JackJr

JackJr New Member

Nov 30, 2002
    Land Of BLAHS
    A youth in Missouri must have Hunter Education if he or she is 11 years or older to purchase a license. No law against a person going along hunting as long as they have no weapon or killed game in their possession.

Jack

6. Hayzer

Hayzer New Member

Take him, and if anyone thinks that your a bad man for getting your child interested in the outdoors smack him.
    Just my .02 cents

but smack him hard enough to make it hurt.

7. Gamegetter

Gamegetter Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2004
    But look at Hayzer's avatar before smacking the agent upside his head. :rotfl:

8. bigredhusker

bigredhusker Member

Jan 25, 2006
    Liberty Missouri
    But I can take my 8 year old turkey hunting right? He has a youth turkey tag and participated in the youth hunt. I am a landowner and he will be hunting on my land. right?

9. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

They can hunt on a youth deer and turkey permit till the age of 15 if accompanied by an adult who is certified. They are elidgible for certification and a regular permit.

:cheers::cheers:

10. coyotehunter

coyotehunter PURE KILLER

Jan 19, 2005
    mexico,mo.
    what about twelve year old.that has passed his hunters saftey and is on a regular tag can he hunt by himself without adult supervision during youth or for that matter regular turkey or deer season ?.the brother inlaw and i was talking about this the other night and i seen a question posted about it but i never seen a answer anybody know it?

11. 67Firebird

67Firebird Chicken Man

Yes, that's fine. He's just asking about taking a non-licensed spectator, and there's nothing wrong or illegal about that. :cheers: