Jumped him!

Discussion in '2011 Whitetail General' started by Dirtdog, Nov 8, 2010.

1. Dirtdog

Dirtdog Active Member

Jul 23, 2009
    Well what can I say other than I just jumped the buck I've been after. Never seen him before until I just jumped him 60 yards from my stand while I was walking in. He didn't blow, just heard me coming I guess. We shall see how the rest of the afternoon unfolds. Good luck to everyone hunting today.

2. Stud Hunter

Stud Hunter Active Member

Oct 21, 2008
    Blue Springs, Mo
    What do ya do it happens...Good luck!!:cheers:

3. venatic

venatic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Let's hope he comes back.

4. chuck88

chuck88 Active Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Fulton MO
    if deer cleared the area everytime they where spooked, then they'd spend their whole lives running. heck if I was you I'd be on high alert for him to circle back in the next hour :cheers:

5. Shrapnel

Shrapnel Active Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Imperial MO
    Are you hunting near home? I have spot not far from you I spend a lot of time.

6. mohunter32

mohunter32 Senior Member Lifetime Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2005
    Franklin Co, MO
  7. Dirtdog

Dirtdog Active Member

Jul 23, 2009
    [rquote=1885734&tid=131380&author=Shrapnel]Are you hunting near home? I have spot not far from you I spend a lot of time.[/rquote]

Labadie, in Franklin Co

8. union30

union30 Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2009
    union,mo
    Are you out at the powerplant buddy Tom plays softball with a guy that hunts there

9. pinwheel

pinwheel Jenny's Lackey

Jun 17, 2006
    middle of nowhere
    [rquote=1885719&tid=131380&author=BowtechAdm]Well what can I say other than I just jumped the buck I've been after. Never seen him before until I just jumped him 60 yards from my stand while I was walking in. He didn't blow, just heard me coming I guess. We shall see how the rest of the afternoon unfolds. Good luck to everyone hunting today.[/rquote]

If there ever was a time of year to jump one & get away with it, it's now. You've got him on his feet & if he comes onto a hot doe & starts running her, she very well could lead him right back by you.

Good luck with him:cheers:

10. Dirtdog

Dirtdog Active Member

Jul 23, 2009
    [rquote=1885782&tid=131380&author=union30]Are you out at the powerplant buddy Tom plays softball with a guy that hunts there[/rquote]

Couple miles away from the power plant

11. MarauderYak

MarauderYak Member

Nov 6, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    [rquote=1885723&tid=131380&author=Stud Hunter]What do ya do it happens...Good luck!!:cheers:[/rquote]

You might be surprised how often a buck will try to make a big circle & get back around behind you. This is especially true if a) he didn't smell you, and b) he's in one of his comfortable places.

Last year I was able to twice "cut off" deer that tried to circle me. When I jumped them I just waited till they were out of sight, backtracked about 40 to 50 yards quickly & quitly as I could, and got behind a tree. Once I didn't even get stopped when I heard him coming. I hid & he walked 5 ft away from me looking back up where I'd been. The other time I sat still for about 10 minutes & the deer did almost the same thing. He walked within about 15 yards of me watching & smelling for me as I went. The cool thing was I could tell they both smelled me, but seemed to be thrown off by the back track. On the down side, both were small non-shooter bucks, but I didn't know that till I saw them the second time.

For the record, I've tried that a few other times, and never saw the deer again, but I'll continue to try it if I'm not pretty certain the deer is headed to the next county.