JimH?

Discussion in 'Guns & Ammo' started by winger, Mar 16, 2006.

1. winger

winger New Member

Oct 24, 2003
    or anyone in the know,

Time to replace the scope on my .22-250. Being that my play income is very meager I was looking for a decent scope for not a lot of $$$$. Here is my question, you have pretty much sold me on the Mueller from your post here and the post on rimfire central. I have never used an illuminated reticle before and was wondering how much of an advantage they were during the day. I can see their advantage at dawn and dusk but this is for p-dogs and yotes which will mainly be in sunlight. Is there any distinct advantage that I am unaware of when the sun is up?

2. beanpile

beanpile just a no body

I'v got a buddy who just bought an illuminated scope for Pig hunt..I'll ask hm to git with ya let ya knw wazzup

3. BigJake

BigJake New Member

Dec 27, 2005
    I got a bushnell 3200 firefly for a pig hunt I just went on. I like the scope a lot, but didn't get any piggies.

With the firefly you have to shine a flashlight in it for a few seconds to get the illumination. Kind of like watches used to be. It worked great at dusk and dawn (as well as full dark). During the day it was just like any other scope.

I would think that any illuminated reticle scope would be like that. If it is one that uses a battery, you should be able to just leave it off and it will be like a regular scope. When it starts getting dark, flip er on and your good to go.

Good luck with the search.:cheers:

4. huntforfunnfood

huntforfunnfood New Member

Jun 30, 2003
    new bloomfield mo
    yeah the muller scopes are made along the lines of the bsa scopes or the bsa are made like them i guess
    the muller are suspose to be better
    you can shut the dial off and its just like a normal scope
    i would say depending on the back ground turned on low light so to say would make the lighted cross hairs better even in the middle of the day
    if you can get a illuminated i can't think of any down side to one i mean its a normal scope with extra benifits

5. glennasher1

glennasher1 Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2004
    Radcliff, KY
    I can't see where an illuminated scope would help with prairie dogs, they don't come out unless the sun's out, heck, they even wait for the dew to burn off! I just don't think they would be any advantage when PDogging, coyote hunting may be another matter entirely.
    For inexpensive scopes, I've been using the Simmons 44 Mag 6.5x20 with turret knobs, I have four, and had no trouble out of them, at all. Order # is the 1048 model. They have been recently discontinued, but Natchez is selling them still, for $99, as are some other places. They have 1/8 minute clicks, if that's too fine for your tastes, the 1047 is the same scope, no turrets, with 1/4" minute clicks. Hey, for $99 they are awfully good scopes. On a Howa, you'd need tall rings, with a heavy barrel, anyway. I gave one to a friend, he mounted it on his .17 Remington, and is pretty happy with it, he can see his teeny tiny holes at 200 yards, anyway. You can buy about a half dozen of them, or ONE Leupold:banghead: I have them mounted on the new Fireball, and both .223s, the other is on my buddy's Seventeen.

6. JimH

JimH Active Member

Nov 6, 2003
    St. Louis
    wingman, don't know how i missed this post. if the rectical is turned on during the day you will never know it unless you cast your dot agains something really black. but if you plan on shooting a few yotes at early morning or evening it will be the cats meyow. Mueller has that Tact II series that is entirely japan made with mil dot and no eluminated recticle. fully multi coated lens and gathers light like no tomorrow. so if you don't want a eluminated recticle you don't need to buy one but if you do buy one you're not hurting yourself useing it in the daylight hours, just save the battery life and turn it off. good luck and let me know what you think. i will be probably buying the new 4-14x44 model they are coming out with this spring for my .17hmr. there is a guy right now on rimfire offering a 6-16x40 AO japan made tasco for 100.00 that i would be all over if i hadn't just bought one of those 6x sightron scopes midway cleared out on last week.

7. winger

winger New Member

Oct 24, 2003
    thanks all,

decided i would go ahead and get the illuminated retical on the 8.5-25x50 silver eradicator. it should be on the way. i just didn't know if the illuminated retical did anything for daytime shooting, but figured i do enough yotin that i would be used sometimes. can't wait to get it mounted and start:sniper:

8. JimH

JimH Active Member

Nov 6, 2003
    St. Louis
    wingman, after a while please post an honest review on the the scope. just curious to what you think you got for your $$

9. JimH

JimH Active Member

Nov 6, 2003
    St. Louis
    hey wingman, don't know what rings you had on that rifle but expect to get some new ones if they weren't for a large scope before. i just received my new sightron target scope for my .22 on sat. afternoon. yep it was sitting there on the table for all to see. my son took in the mail for us while we where all out at the other son's game. i hadn't broke the news about that one to my wife as of then. sort of got caught with the hand in the cookie jar this time. :stickfight::stickfight::behead:

10. winger

winger New Member

Oct 24, 2003
    yep, arrived in the mail today. i have leupold bases and rings. i am sitting at work looking at this thing thinking i might have to get the high rings before she will sit atop the rifle. if so then it is a trip to the store before the wife gets home.:D can't wait to get it to the range.

11. JimH

JimH Active Member

Nov 6, 2003
    St. Louis
    wingman, first impressions? you can't tell me you haven't look through it yet.:rotfl:

12. winger

winger New Member

Oct 24, 2003
    JimH,

couldn't get the box open fast enough. my first impression is that it is too much scope for the money. crisp, clear images with no distortion even at the greater magnification. gathers light extremely well. it is a good thing that the red dot is there for yote hunting because the scope will continue to show a good picture when the thin cross hairs can no longer be seen. i can see why this would be a great long distance scope. can't wait to get it to the range this week if the rain ever clears out. also what impressed me is the warranty that is written out in black and white for the life of the scope. warranty even transfers. i looked at the scope side by side with my bushnell and it is every bit the scope the elite is as far as ability. now to get it to the range and put it through the paces.