Jig Fishing?

Discussion in 'Fishing General' started by oneshot 1, May 28, 2009.

1. oneshot 1

oneshot 1 Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Ozarks
    Ok yesterday it was more of a learning thing.But I was down at the river.Fish were jumping all over.I was thinking Bass.

I tie on a Chartreuse Jig.They kept getting the Tail so I went to a smaller one.Caught a Short Smallmouth,then a Short Brown Trout and couple more Smallmouth.

Thought I would change my retrive so I slowed down,nothing.I thought I would go with Roadrunner same color,nothing.Change to White Jig,nothing.Went back to the original.Caught another Brown.

Ok couple questions.Did I do right going to the smaller Jig if they was striking short?And can I catch Rainbows on Crappie Jigs? I know I can catch Bass,Brown Trout and Goggle Eye.

oneshot
    :D The Big Grin uses a Big Crawdad.

2. blevely

blevely White Board Man

Jul 15, 2004
    Here and There
    add a trailer hook

3. oneshot 1

oneshot 1 Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Ozarks
    [rquote=1278460&tid=89466&author=blevely]add a trailer hook[/rquote]

I've did this with a Skited Jig but haven't with Curlytail.

oneshot
    :D The Big Grin uses a Bigger Net.

4. farmnhunt

farmnhunt Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2006
    Lebanon
    If striking short, smaller and a color that is more difficult to see. If fish get too good of a look they will nudge instead of bite.

I use small olive drab green crappie style jigs for trout alot usually 1/32 or smaller but have used 1/16 when the water was muddy and swift.

5. Gakic24

Gakic24 Well-Known Member

Maribu jigs are all i use for trout.... :pop:

6. Bass Fishin

Bass Fishin New Member

Jun 1, 2009
    Nothern MO
    [rquote=1278485&tid=89466&author=Gakic24]Maribu jigs are all i use for trout.... :pop:[/rquote]

:rock::2thumbsup::rock:

7. WhiteTailer

WhiteTailer Active Member

Apr 20, 2005
    Centralia
    Usually for me...they follow it in and dont bite...or Nudge it or short bite I keep the same Jig size on with the same retrevial speed and only change the color.

Bright colors for sunny days and clear water...Darker colors for overcast and dirty water.

8. Hannibal

Hannibal Senior Member

Dec 30, 2004
    Greene county
    try a 1/32 or1/16 about 3 feet under a small float, maribu in drab green or grey like farmhunt and Gak says. used to catch bows on the current that way

9. Hannibal Bowhunter

Hannibal Bowhunter Active Member

Sep 15, 2007
    Hannibal, MO
    I agree with adding a stinger hook. Works great on short biting walleyes in my hands.