Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The jeep my dad and I fixed up has an issue that I am stuck on. It runs good and will start and idle like a champ, but when you're driving it, if you push the clutch and come to a stop it won't hold idle, dies almost every time.

Any thoughts?

·
Preferred pronoun-Stud Muffin
10,590 Posts
Injected or carburated?

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
46,800 Posts
Idle better when in neutral and no clutch?

·
Registered
18,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
carb

·
Registered
18,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I should clarify....I believe it was originally tbi, but was at some point switched to an aftermarket carb.

·
10,590 Posts
Anyway, check for air leaks (vacuum). Most likely place to start if idle is not consistent.
Then you check electrical stuff. Resistance increases with heat, so a cold engine can act differently than a warm one.

·
Banned
8,589 Posts
I feel your pain. I used to have a Mazda RX7, rotary motor, that was the same way. It took a lot of skill to work all three petals to keep it running when at a stop.

I agree with UH. Probably a vacuum issue.

Good luck.

·
Registered
31,310 Posts
possibly a faulty pressure plate, holding some force on th clutch, just enough to not the the engine idle freely from the transmission.

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
Originally posted by Jeremy
possibly a faulty pressure plate, holding some force on th clutch, just enough to not the the engine idle freely from the transmission.
My thought exactly or a bad Throw out bearing

·
Registered
18,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by Bronco Brian
How about in neutral warm?
If it's just sitting it will idle all day. Only dies when driving and coming to a stop. with the clutch in and braking it won't hold idle.

·
10,590 Posts
If sitting, and you hit the brake, if the engine wants to die, prolly the vacuum booster.
But an aftermarket carb to replace fuel injection? Who thought that was a good idea?
Oh, well. Vacuum boosters are an easy changeout.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Originally posted by Hoytshooter
Originally posted by Bronco Brian
How about in neutral warm?
If it's just sitting it will idle all day. Only dies when driving and coming to a stop. with the clutch in and braking it won't hold idle.
OK try this, drive it around and get it warm, while driving put it in neutral and apply brakes and come to a stop. If it idles and seems fine then I would look at your clutch parts as a couple have mentioned. Good luck.

·
Registered
18,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's got a brand new clutch in it.

It doesn't matter if you have it in gear or in neutral, if you're driving it and bring it to a stop it will die.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts