Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Super Moderator
28,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, we were supposed to be able to hunt this weekend, but apparently Jax has a baseball tourney, so I ask if he needed a mental health day from school Wednesday, he agreed! Looking at the forecasted weather I was thinking I must have some mental issues, but figured a 6 hour round trip would be worth it, surely we would get and hour or two of dry weather???

Arrived Tuesday at 8 pm to a driving rain to try and roost them....JOKE!!!! Put up the bling in that toad soaker and grabbed dinner, can back to the cabin with the power out, so we hit the sack!

Awoke 445 to no rain, and virtually no gobbles, perhaps 3 birds gobbled on the roost 5 times total. About 8 am we begin to run and gun, nothing playing. Around 11 we are making our way back to our original area and hear a bird sound off, then another one. We have a very good idea where they are and one isn't on our property. He sounds off again and we get set about 200 yards away across the ridge, I call and he hammers, Jax says we need to go to him, I say lets rock, we work down the ravine and up the step ravine and he hammers again when we are about 30 yards from the ridge top and he is to the west which is about perfect, so long as he is not leaving the plot. There is a pile of blow down and we crawl up to them and Jax eases up and readies the gun towards the last gobble, I purr and he gobbles (later Jax said it sounded like THUNDER), he whispers I see him, he gobbles one more time, a minute later I hear the click of the safety and think it's about to happen and BOOM!!!!! He said his head was about 3" above a log.......

23.08lbs, 10.5 thick beard and 1.25 sharp curved spur and one was broke at the tip. What an intense 20-30 minutes!

and yes, dad is looking haggard and old!

Bird Plant Tree Beak Wild turkey
Bird Plant Tree Beak Wild turkey
Bird Hunting Beak Smile Feather

· Banned
81,617 Posts
Congrats Jax. :cheers:

I wish they had mental health days when I was a kid.

Reactions: 20'

· Registered
32,993 Posts
I need a mental health day from work.......

8,854 Posts
Great work, congrats

· Registered
20,349 Posts
Nicely Done Jax! Strong Work 20!!
I remember early dismissal Friday's for the weekend opener of firearms deer season.... but I'm thinking the entire day for mental health is the WTG!! Well played Mister!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.