JarJar Turkey Journal

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting General' started by JarJar, Apr 25, 2006.

  1. JarJar

    JarJar New Member

    Sep 27, 2005
    Well, I thought that I would start a "journal" of my turkey hunts. I started one of these while deer hunting this last fall, before the big crash, so I thought I would start another one.

    Rookie Debut

    4-24-06 Openning Day

    Well today (actually yesterday) is my first outing in the turkey woods. I have been practicing my calling and getting some AWESOME advice from this board!

    I went out this past weekend to a place that is half way between my new house and work, this way I can still get some hours in the woods before heading to work...:bangin: After spending some time scouting I decided on a nice field that I had been seeing 3-4 toms working both mornings and some evenings.

    Back to the hunt....I woke up extra early (4:00 a.m.) and threw on my hunting clothes, made a pot of coffee. Checked the weather online (it was suppose to rain...but never did). After that I tossed my work clothes into my car and was off to the woods. I arrived shortly after 5:00 (I am hunting on public land, so I wanted to be there early enough not to loss out on "my" spot) I was the second to arrive at the CA, but fortunately the other vehicle wasn't in the area where I wanted to set up.

    I set up a double hen decoy and waited for the sun to rise. It was very peaceful in the woods...THAT IS WHY I LOVE THE OUTDOORS. The toms started sounding off...and man was my heart a pumpin'. I could hear two groups of them and there were two in each group.

    Unfortunately both groups decided not to flydown in the field that I was set up. And they stayed up there until around 7:00! Even with me using a flydown cackle...

    They would respond to my calling, but there was a small creek between us. A hen decided to check out my deke set up and hung out for about 10 minutes. That was cool! She left...reminding me that I had to me at work at 8:00. So I slowly packed my stuff and head to work. I arrived at 8:30 but the boss didn't care, so that was good!

    I talked to the boss and she told me that I had plenty of comp. time to show if later if I wanted too! :dancin:
  2. JarJar

    JarJar New Member

    Sep 27, 2005
    Lesbian Decoys


    I got to the woods about the same time as yesterday and set up further down the edge of the same field, this way I could view more of the field. I set up a single hen decoy and waited for the sun.

    I think that I am going to get one of those seat thingys...my :ass: didn't like that hard ground two days in a row, but I managed to sit still for the morning.

    Today didn't start out as promising as yesterday morning...the toms must have been really pressured yesterday after I left because they didn't even roost in the same area. When they started sounding off, I could only hear two of them and they were about 500 yards south of where they roosted yesterday. I decided to stay put and see if I could work them toward me.

    It was about 7:30 a.m. and yet another hen came and checked out my deke....hence me questioning the sexuality of my dekes. This time the hen came and stayed alittle longer and was ALOT closer to me. She got withing 10 yards of me....between me and the deke. What a beautiful bird! I felt really bless that she stayed as long as she did! Now I was ready for the tom(s). But, like yesterday, they decided not to use "my" field. This time they were on the opposite side of where they were yesterday.

    I took Hayzer's advise of "be patient" and decided to just stay where I was and try to call them over to me. No go...they just kept moving past me in the opposite field sounding off every once in a while.

    As I was driving out of the CA, a Conservation Officer was driving the opposite way, so I talked to him for a bit. After that I was off to work. Showed up at 10:30. Boss didn't mind...so that was cool.

    Heading out again tomorrow morning!:banana:

  3. Keith

    Keith New Member

    Dec 13, 2002
    Springfield, MO.
    It is awesome to get them that close. Keep after them......:cheers:
  4. Rthunter

    Rthunter Senior Member

    May 5, 2003
    Union, Mo
    Keep after them! It is amazing what happens from day to day with these birds. This past weekend they were gobbling like crazy. Opening day I heard a total of five gobbles in the same spots. The one I shot this morning must have gobbled 20+ times on the roost, and never stopped on the ground until I pulled the trigger.
  5. JackJr

    JackJr New Member

    Nov 30, 2002
    Land Of BLAHS
    Jarjar, just keep after them. Nice journal you have going so far.:cheers::cheers::cheers:

  6. Rebel2

    Rebel2 Well-Known Member

    Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    outstanding.... persitence will pay off :cheers:
  7. JarJar

    JarJar New Member

    Sep 27, 2005
    Well, I found out at the end of work today that staff meetings have been scheduled at 8:00 a.m. both Thursday and Friday :banghead:...so now I wonder if I can even get out in the woods those days.

    I guess that I will just have to shoot a biggun' tomorrow morning! or hope to hook up with one at the campout.

    Good luck everyone and remember...be safe!
  8. JarJar

    JarJar New Member

    Sep 27, 2005
    Kicking myself...


    Today I couldn't find my pouch that holds my calls...and my TAGS! I know that I attached the pouch to my backpack and then left from my setup yesterday. I wanted to set up further north of where I was yesterday, but because I lost my pouch, I need to track back (in the dark) from my car to where I set up yesterday.

    Luckily I found the pouch and decided to sit awhile to find out where the toms roosted last night. When I heard them gobbling from where they were the morning before I decided to hightail it to the field to the north of me...a 300 yard dash through the woods in semi-dark..

    I belly crawled to the edge of the field, dropped off my bag at a nice comfy tree and continued to belly crawl into the middle of the 30 yard wide rectangular shaped field. Once there I place out my welcoming decoy. Got back to the comfy tree and quietly finished setting up.

    After a while of sitting I yelped and was responded by a gobble further north of me. From this I continued to watch from my right...after awhile I found myself kinda daydreaming and decided to look to the right. BIG MISTAKE! because there was a jake coming into my deke set up. He was about 15 yards out from me, but I wasn't able to get a shot...FIRST because I didn't have a clear shot (he was behind some small saplings) and SECOND because my hands were crossed and under my armpits (I was about frozen). He, of couse, busted me from moving my head and made a U-turn...yelping as he walked back from where he came from.

    I wanted to kick myself...this was my first encounter with a legal bird (besides from deer bow season).

    That was it for the remainder of my outing. Pack up shop around 9:00 and headed into work.
  9. JarJar

    JarJar New Member

    Sep 27, 2005
    Natural Ground Blind


    Today after work I went back out into the woods, where the toms have been roosting the last few nights. The CA is going through some quail management and there are a few downed trees along the edge of the fields. I decided that one would make an awesome ground blind, so I proceeded in making one.

    This will be where I will hunt tomorrow morning (if no one beats me there).
  10. JarJar

    JarJar New Member

    Sep 27, 2005
    Turkey Virgin NO MORE!


    This morning I woke up an extra half-hour before I normally do (3:30) just to be sure to be the first to "my" natural gound blind that I made up yesterday.

    I figured that they would be roosting close to where the blind was, so I snuck in quietly and set up a single deke about 20 yards from the blind. There is a corridor from the field to my left (where I believe that they are roosting) to the smaller field that I am now set up in. If all goes as I have planned a tom will be walking through that corridor into my set up. I placed the deke so that it can be seen from the corner of the field on my left through the corridor.

    At around 6:00 the turks start to gobble from the roost...but not from where I thought they would be. I hear some flydowns within the woods to my left, but pretty far into the woods. I give a few yelps and wait. At about 6:20 a hen flys down from practically above me into the field and lands right next to my deke. I then hear a gobble in the field to my left (about 30 yards away!) I can't believe it...my heart starts to POUND in my chest.

    When the hen (next to my deke) would face away from me, or peak at the ground I would move slightly to get more prepared for the tom to enter my field from the corridor. The hen stolls away from me and the deke, across the field. Then I see him...the tom is coming through the corridor into my field! I left some branches overhanging on both sides of this natural blind...so the tom has to walk about another 10 yards or so for me to have a shot at him. I patiently wait for him to finish entering the field. Then ANOTHER tom follows him into the corridor. I think to myself "now I get to choose :confused: " I couldn't believe it. Both beards were about the same, so I decided to take whichever one gave me the first chance.

    THEN....ANOTHER tom shows up through the corridor! At this point I was about the shake out of my camo from my heart pounding! The last tom was double bearded, so I tried to calm myself and stop shaking to give him enough time to present himself. But, the end of my barrel must have been moving too much and the last tom started putting (I knew that they wouldn't stay much longer). Luckily the first tom was in the open and I got a clear 12 yard shot on him. Knocked him down as the other two flew off in opposite directions.

    I couldn't believe it...everything actually went down as I planned!! I got up and did the PARKER happy dance. :dancin:

    Now came the task of carrying him back to the car. It was about a 3/4 mile hike....I swore that he weighed 2 tons by the time I got back to the car.

    SCORE ONE MORE FOR TEAM 4!!!!! :banana::banana::banana:
  11. JarJar

    JarJar New Member

    Sep 27, 2005

    21.5 pounds
    11" beard
    7/8" right spur
    7/8" left spur
    Shot with Mossberg 500
    3" Winchester turkey supremes #5 shot

  12. JarJar

    JarJar New Member

    Sep 27, 2005
  13. JarJar

    JarJar New Member

    Sep 27, 2005
  14. MUHunter

    MUHunter New Member

    Aug 13, 2003
    NE MO
    that a boy jarod! congrats!!!!
  15. JMAC

    JMAC Senior Member

    Aug 31, 2005
    Cole County
    WOOOHOOOOO!!!! Way to go JJ!!!
  16. Hotrod

    Hotrod Member

    Nov 3, 2005
    good job JarJar way to go:eek::eek:
  17. JarJar

    JarJar New Member

    Sep 27, 2005
    Looks like I now get to do some crappie fishin' this weekend at the campout! :cheers:
  18. JMAC

    JMAC Senior Member

    Aug 31, 2005
    Cole County
    Heck yeah! At this rate, we're all tagging out early! Might have to work on getting Hayzer a bird! :hysterical:
  19. Rthunter

    Rthunter Senior Member

    May 5, 2003
    Union, Mo
    Great job partner! You are now officially hooked for life. :cheers: I am off next week, so I hope to add to our total. Great looking bird.
  20. k9tracker

    k9tracker New Member

    Mar 27, 2006

    A good read too. Nice to know what went wrong instead of just stories of how everything went right.

    Now I just need something like that to happen...at this point I would settle for a gobble.