Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
21,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yea right!! Ok I'm not going to be too PC.But I hear so many say Hunting is not about the kill.But I really have to disagree.

Don't get me wrong I love feeling of the Cold crisp air on a Fall morning,and admiring all my Fathers creations.Makes me feel good to be alive.But I can do this any time without Hunting and enjoy myself.

But with Hunting,there is nothing like making plans,learning how to get within range of my Prey.And yes the ultimate adrenalin rush,the KILL!! Putting an animal down with one shot,not suffering,providing protein for me and my wife.

I'm in no way ashamed of this.It has been bred into me over eons of year since Humans stepped off the Ark.

In my opinion it has everything to do with the kill!

oneshot
:D The Big Grin likes them fast Mice.

·
Registered
11,987 Posts
While I agree with you, I have let deer walk for one reason or the other. They have been too young, not enough antlers, a doe with young ones. On the first day of buck only season I had a madien doe walk up to my stand, stop and look away from me. Perfect 20 yard shot. I let her walk even though I had no meat. Yes I enjoy the hunt and I am satisfied with a compentant kill, but the kill is not the main thing. The kill is an end to a successful hunt but not all successful hunts end in a kill.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I think we all hunt for various reasons. I am more like Oneshot. I hunt for a purpose, to put meat in the freezer. I can enjoy the wildlife and nature either by riding horseback or hiking and scouting. When I'm hunting, its serious. It's a successful hunt for me when I'm cleaning something afterwards. That's not to say I dont enjoy or have a good time on the days I dont take an animal cause I do, I just dont pass on animals cause it's the first day of the season. If they are too small, then that's one thing but if they are a shooter by my definition and come within range, then the hunt is over.

·
Former Chicken Man
20,352 Posts
It's entirely about the kill for me. The whole reason I started hunting in the first place was for reactive targets I could shoot. I love all the other stuff too, like being with friends, spending time in the woods etc., but if it wasn't about the kill we'd go out just as much all year long but without the guns.
I don't let critters walk because they're not up to some standard either; If the season is open and I've got the appropriate tag/license, I'm going to kill the first one that comes by. :sniper:
Hunting, by definition, has a kill at the end. Watching is scouting, and that should be done before the season opens.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I think that the people that say that are like me, it is about memories. It is all about the whole hunt and its various parts. I love the prep and all its aspects. but that is just a small part of it. I love taking game, yes it is nice to see a plan come together and get very good meat out of it.

But the most I get is where I am, whoI am with and the joyous time we've had.

When memories are recalled in my golden years, I wont remember if I killed a buck or doe, cause I ate it and forgot about it. But, I will remember I was with usually my brothers and father. Family or great friends in God's glorious creation doing the things that make life worth living.:wink:

·
Registered
11,909 Posts
It as always been the hunt for me

I enjoy the preperation and the comings and goings. The kill has always been secondary to the hunt because now the hunt is over and the work begins.

The frst few days I let lesser animals go just so I can hunt more. On the tag end of the season Ive found that button bucks are good eating.

Good subject oneshot 1.

:sniper:

·
Registered
8,319 Posts
There's nothing like being out in the woods for me... the fall weather and the winter chill and snow! Puts chills down my spine thinking about sitting in a tree with everything covered in a blanket of white, just waiting for that elusive whitetail buck to come in range of my gun or bow.

Or maybe its the early fall and the leaves have just started turning colors... every time I go out to the country it gets more and more beautiful.

Or maybe its the summer time, like now: when I like to go out to the country and replenish the mineral licks, work on a food plot, or cut some grass on a tractor and then when the day is starting to end I just sit and wait with my binoculars and wait to see what this years bucks are looking like and how they are coming along in antler growth.

Or maybe, just maybe, its that first deep breath of fresh country air I take when I get out of the truck! To me, there is nothing like that!

Don't get me wrong, I love harvesting an animal, but to this city boy, just getting out into the woods or just out to property makes me content... well almost! :D

·
Registered
21,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yea but lefty I live out here.I like going to the city every once in awhile but I love getting back to the comforts of Home.

oneshot
:D The Big Grin living too far back for the Hoot Owls.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Its about spending time with family and friends, the providing of table fair for yourself, and when a plan comes togeather. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
for me it the thrill of just being there i dont get to be in the woods as much as i like so every min i enjoy. I do like the kill its a part of a differant thrill i tell my wife if we lived there would be a lot less of me love to just stroll thru the woods

·
Registered
18,764 Posts
I don't think there is a wrong opinion on this subject personally. Whether you do all you do year round ro reach what you consider the ultimate moment to be, the kill, or whether you do what you do all year and the kill is secondary. The point of this entire subject in my mind is that either way you look at it, all of us and people like us do these things and that's what's important. Hunting and woodsmanship are lifestyles that are becoming threatened each day whether it be by antis, by urbanization of the land, or by any number of other factors. Just to know that there are passionate people out there that are enjoying nature, the hunt, and all that goes into it is what's important.

Personally, it's not about the kill for me. Don't get me wrong...I'm as excited as anyone around when it happens whether it be a monster buck or an average doe, but that's not why I hunt. Ultimately it comes down to the meat in the freezer, but with the amount of tags available and the length of the season that isn't really an issue. This past season I let probably over 100 deer walk that were within bow range, everything from yearlings to does to a couple 130" class bucks...and my freezer was jam packed full of deer when it ended. I think that in the beginning it was about the kill and it stayed that way for several years but not anymore. What it's about to me is learning about behavior, scouting, hanging stands, and putting myself in the position to be within spitting distance of a wild animal like a deer without them having any idea I'm there. For me it's about matching wits, particularly with an big old wise buck and winning that battle. If it ends with me taking a deer home with me I'll be as excited as anyone, but if it doesn't I'm not disappointed. To be in their environment and to have the chance to just see nature at work is what drives me. I'm in no rush to fill tags until I want to...my freezer will always be full of deer.

·
Registered
8,772 Posts
Well every year it gets less and less about the kill for me. The fact I made it out there and get to see wildlife is about all I need anymore.

Jack

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
would being on the ark and then hunting be considered a canned hunt???

it is so much more fun coming home from a hunt needing to sharpen the knife!!!

·
Registered
7,522 Posts
To me as far as deer hunting it all about the plan..
What have I done on my farm this year to make a difference in the life of these deer. Are there more, bigger, healthier, etc. I have somewhat control on the farm definitely not at home and I enjoy watching them, do a lot of video taping, filling the freezer with does and shooting a nice buck if it comes along, if it doesnt oh well maybe there is next year.
Getting together with friends at night and discussing the days activities.

When the kill happens I want to make sure of a good shot and quick recovery.

Each to his own and enjoy I say!!

·
Jenny's Lackey
47,538 Posts
Have I said how glad I am to have found this site?

It's reall refreshing to talk with guys with the same views that I have. Like someone said earlier, in the beginning, it was all about the kill. I was younger then & felt I had something to prove. Now, I get pretty durn excited about just seeing a 140-150" buck on one of my trail cams. Don't get me wrong, he's going on the wall if he makes a mistake. Every year I have tag soup. I never kill my limit.

Hoytshooter & TOBRYAN pretty well summed it up for me. Well said guys.

·
10,944 Posts
hoyt said it best. i love everything about the hunt. in my younger days i to shot the first thing that came by, i just had to fill my tag a quickly as i could. now that i'm older the thrill of the kill is still there but i'm in no hurry to fill my tag. my freezer will be full by the end of season, i'll enjoy makin sausage and sharing it with friends, when i grill a tender loin i'll remember the hunt. the fun for next season has already started , food plots and anticipation hunts to come. :roll2:

·
PURE KILLER
38,024 Posts
to me ,it is one on one with a paticular buck that trips my trigger,getting to know his routes, favorite spots, where to ambush him.i like be out watching nature's show for sure.but make no mistake when i step out of the truck i am there for the kill.although i pass alot of bucks. everyday i go out i hope like heck i do kill something but i hope it is not early in the season:rotfl:

·
Registered
21,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes I've hunted certain Deer and did ok.But even with these Deer if I wasn't out there trying to kill them I wouldn't spend so much time fooling with them.

The biggest bodied Deer I ever killed was running a Farm up North.I was setting about half way up the hill expecting him to come below me.I was setting there,looked to my left through a hole in the brush,here he comes,he spots me,is looking at me,I'm busted.This to me is what it is all about adrenalin kicks in,better high than any Drugs.I ease my Rifle around shoot and kill him.This is what I'm talking about if you was not out there to kill this animal you wouldn't get this ultimate rush.At least I wouldn't.Everything I do getting ready for the Hunt is exciting,but nothing compares to the rush of the kill.

oneshot
:D The Big Grin is high all the time.

·
Registered
21,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok go back reread others Post.Small Game is different.It is fun,not the same Rush.But if you was out there shooting all the time and never killing would you still be out there?It would get boring real fast.

oneshot
:D The Big Grin is a one Mouse a day Guy.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.