Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
14,447 Posts
@Mailman

Find a local beef producer and purchase direct from the farm......
a friend in Kansas pulled 7 cows from his herd and sold them to friends and family. I heard about it second hand as my hunting buddy got a text from him saying only 2 left, later that day, saying all are sold.
Like you mentioned, just line up a butcher, whiich are way behind.

Heard packing plants after expenses are making about $400 be cow right now.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Opening day gun deer minus orange

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
a friend in Kansas pulled 7 cows from his herd and sold them to friends and family. I heard about it second hand as my hunting buddy got a text from him saying only 2 left, later that day, saying all are sold.
Like you mentioned, just line up a butcher, whiich are way behind.

Heard packing plants after expenses are making about $400 be cow right now.
They are making in access of $1200 a head from the market reports I listen to. I can’t even get $1200 for my 600lb feeders before expenses . And those will be astronomical this year $3 fuel and $1000 a ton fertilizer plus everything else on cost.
There are 4 packers and there lays the problem with monopolies. Tyson JBS Cargill and National Beef process 85 % of all cattle in the US .

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
They are making in access of $1200 a head from the market reports I listen to. I can’t even get $1200 for my 600lb feeders before expenses . And those will be astronomical this year $3 fuel and $1000 a ton fertilizer plus everything else on cost.
There are 4 packers and there lays the problem with monopolies. Tyson JBS Cargill and National Beef process 85 % of all cattle in the US .
Agreed! These mega processors have all but eliminated small processors across the country. I remember when there was a processor in every small town you went to and grocery stores cut their own meat in house. They have eliminated any competition and now control pricing across the country. Then Covid reared its ugly head and these plants shut down due to it causing shortages. If we still had all the local processors this would have greatly reduced the shortages. One of the last few private processors in my area just closed his doors last year making it hard for me to find pork bellies for making bacon. I think it's high time that the mega processors go the way of the Dodo!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts