Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
Thats an excuse to justify shooting whatever you want. Same thing happens with archery hunters killing dinks the week before the orange army gets em.

It would be much easier (and honest) to just say you are going to hunt the way you want and thats it.

Weekend warriors want to talk about the deer they killed during rifle season... not the ones they passed. Fair weather and trophy buck hunting are opposable terms a lot of times.
The messed up thing is that you think anyone needs an excuse or has to justify what they legally shoot and tag. I hunt public ground and passed up this little buck the first weekend. I took his picture at 15 yards instead of shooting...

My son also passed another different small buck the same day. This past weekend I passed another second small buck and chose not to take an iffy shot at a really good buck. I did that because that's what I wanted to do and not because I feel any pressure from anyone to behave a certain way in the deer woods. And I don't pressure anyone else on how to spend their tag. If they would be happy with one of those little bucks, more power to them. I'd help them get him out of the woods and loaded in the truck. The more I mind my own business and tend to my own affairs and pay less attention to others the happier I am.

·
Registered
3,345 Posts

·
Mt Sterling, Mo
5,328 Posts
Last year 11 was killed off 580 acres ,,,this year, so far,8 has been killed ....Getting better ....Bigger /better age bucks this year ................Anything i dont want to kill ...they get a few rounds thrown their way ,,,,Educates them and keeps em running passed the "shoot anything " crowd

·
Registered
695 Posts
Last year 11 was killed off 580 acres ,,,this year, so far,8 has been killed ....Getting better ....Bigger /better age bucks this year ................Anything i dont want to kill ...they get a few rounds thrown their way ,,,,Educates them and keeps em running passed the "shoot anything " crowd
I go a step farther and create half racks, surely no one will shoot a dink half rack. Fight fire with fire.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Where have the opposite problem. Brother took oldest son (12 yo) out to fill his tag second weekend. Brother needs 5 deer to fill the freezer and was hunting behinds his house. Had 125" come in and Hunter was given green light to shoot. My brother was so frustrated when he was told this deer was getting the pass. Remember kids here everything when in ear shot of adults talking about there deer hunts.

·
Navy/Air Force/Army
17,375 Posts
Because they know what a gun is or that you are shooting in their direction?

·
Registered
13,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
My God how many people do you have hunting on 400-450ish acres to even kill 9 of any kind of deer. That would be as big a problem as anything.
Are the properties adjoining or miles apart? Adjoining would have more of a negative impact IMO.
It's three different properties in the same county, but nowhere close to each other. Two of the nine were unrecovered cripples so it should only be seven if people didn't suck at shooting. Two of those properties are loaded with does too, which makes it even more aggravating. My brother in law has my two nephews convinced that does are beneath them, but 2.5 year olds are fair game. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
13,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
We have shot 6 deer off my 88 acres and Saturday night saw at least 15 we need to kill a bunch more does this year. We have no big bucks because they kill all the small ones but plenty of does to go around.
That's how it is for us too. No shortage of does around, but everybody just lets them walk besides me and my buddy. The only reason we've only taken one doe each is so that we can save a tag for one during the alternative season. If I hadn't taken a buck opening morning, I'd have probably filled my other doe tag already too. I've seen some absolute units the past few sits and it's been hard to tell myself not to shoot because I have a lot of work already hanging lol

·
Super Moderator
27,731 Posts
It's three different properties in the same county, but nowhere close to each other. Two of the nine were unrecovered cripples so it should only be seven if people didn't suck at shooting. Two of those properties are loaded with does too, which makes it even more aggravating. My brother in law has my two nephews convinced that does are beneath them, but 2.5 year olds are fair game. :rolleyes:
You need to get those kids aside and let them know does are great targets and those 2.5 bucks are next years shooters!

·
Registered
13,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
You need to get those kids aside and let them know does are great targets and those 2.5 bucks are next years shooters!
A few more years and I'll work on them. I was hard on those 2.5s when I was younger and hadn't killed as many deer myself. They already pass 1.5s so I feel like they will reach that point eventually. I gripe about the 2.5s dying for my own personal reasons, but I still love watching them young fellers get excited after dumping a 100" 2.5 year old at the time.

·
Super Moderator
27,731 Posts
A few more years and I'll work on them. I was hard on those 2.5s when I was younger and hadn't killed as many deer myself. They already pass 1.5s so I feel like they will reach that point eventually. I gripe about the 2.5s dying for my own personal reasons, but I still love watching them young fellers get excited after dumping a 100" 2.5 year old at the time.
100-% agree and like seeing the smiles of kids and their kills. But I remind my boys kill what makes you happy but understand you will be more happy the sooner you start passing deer and waiting on bigger ones. Intheb add you have the real potential to accomplish this much sooner than I did,I tell them you will have a few less 100” bucks but a few more mature ones and 5 dinks for one good one is well worth it! Besides, it is not like they Can’t shoot does and a bunch of them!

·
Registered
5,562 Posts
Some folks hunt for meat first, home apparel second. I wont shoot a 2 1/2 old buck for the table (too rutty tasting) but if legal in my area and a spike appears without a doe in tow
depending on how the day has been going, it may find its way onto the table. Now when hunting on other people's land and even if the 4 pt rule is not legally in play, if the land owners says no young bucks then they will be given a full pass. Some folks may only get 1 day, maybe two out of the year to hunt due to prior commitments to work or family. If they want to take something for the table, then that's their choice. Personally, I would prefer a fat doe to eat but i will not begrudge someone for taking legal meat.

·
Lunch break commander
8,762 Posts
Some folks hunt for meat first, home apparel second. I wont shoot a 2 1/2 old buck for the table (too rutty tasting) but if legal in my area and a spike appears without a doe in tow
depending on how the day has been going, it may find its way onto the table. Now when hunting on other people's land and even if the 4 pt rule is not legally in play, if the land owners says no young bucks then they will be given a full pass. Some folks may only get 1 day, maybe two out of the year to hunt due to prior commitments to work or family. If they want to take something for the table, then that's their choice. Personally, I would prefer a fat doe to eat but i will not begrudge someone for taking legal meat.
This /\/\ we hunt on my father in laws place and he has decided to protect the does for now so we passed does this year. Nate did kill a big doe but it was on my sisters place. If we were going to have deer meat from his place it had to be a buck.

·
Under appreciated
92,960 Posts
The messed up thing is that you think anyone needs an excuse or has to justify what they legally shoot and tag. I hunt public ground and passed up this little buck the first weekend. I took his picture at 15 yards instead of shooting...

My son also passed another different small buck the same day. This past weekend I passed another second small buck and chose not to take an iffy shot at a really good buck. I did that because that's what I wanted to do and not because I feel any pressure from anyone to behave a certain way in the deer woods. And I don't pressure anyone else on how to spend their tag. If they would be happy with one of those little bucks, more power to them. I'd help them get him out of the woods and loaded in the truck. The more I mind my own business and tend to my own affairs and pay less attention to others the happier I am.
I said before it would be better if people minded their own business. Just because my neighbors may be different than me, it sure isnt my place to impose my beliefs on them and vise verse. And I definitely dont shoot dinks “just because the neighbor will do it anyway”. But there is a lot of that attitude around for sure.

You just spent a lot of time here agreeing with me.

Congrats on passing the deer and hunting along with your own principles.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts