Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
19,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this lil gun was my first gun ever, and for some reason it only fires when it wants to, something is not right, you can try to fire a shell, pull the shell out spin it, put it back in and it might fire it, and sometimes it will hit it the first time and fire, or it may not fire said shell at all, i have to believe the hammer spring is a bit weak?? any thoughts on this??

·
19,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
[rquote=1527299&tid=106462&author=Rebel]The only thing I could suggest is to switch to geico and with the money you save buy a new one?

:D[/rquote]:bull::rof2::rof2::rof2:

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I have had an old Bolt 22 since Iwas a kid and it does the same thing. Took it to the gun smith and and it still does it. It has to be the spring though. It will do it with any type of ammo. The firingpin doesn;t seem worn down.

·
Registered
70,334 Posts
Did some thinking...:thinking:

Sometimes it isn't the firing pin at all. Years of dry firing will leave an indentation on the inside rim where you shell rest awaiting the strike from the firing pin. Once that has been indented enough it will fire sometimes and sometimes not. Check out the inside rim of your cases after having a misfire or even a fired shell.

That little rim around the base of the shell is where your primer is located. If that doesn't have enough direct force to set off the primer to ignite the powder in the casing you'll get a misfire per say.

·
19,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
[rquote=1527419&tid=106462&author=Mailman]Did some thinking...:thinking:

Sometimes it isn't the firing pin at all. Years of dry firing will leave an indentation on the inside rim where you shell rest awaiting the strike from the firing pin. Once that has been indented enough it will fire sometimes and sometimes not. Check out the inside rim of your cases after having a misfire or even a fired shell.

That little rim around the base of the shell is where your primer is located. If that doesn't have enough direct force to set off the primer to ignite the powder in the casing you'll get a misfire per say.[/rquote]was thinking the same thing myself MM, i can't see anything with the naked eye, but i do have a 10x magnifier, i few yrs back i used it with zero trouble shooting CB caps into the ear canal of trapped ****/fox with zero trouble, it has not been used scince, we took the lil gun to the range this summer for trackercasey's daughter, and it dealt us what im describing to ya

·
Registered
70,334 Posts
Did you get all that soot from the CB caps out of the area where the rim of the shell is seated? Might have a bit of crud in the corner just enough to keep it from seating completely. I'm taking it for granted that it sits in a depression and then it is struck by the pin. If not....?? must be the firing pin being broken and just hits once in awhile enough to fire the round.

You can get a new firing pin here...

http://www.e-gunparts.com/DisplayAd.asp?chrProductSKU=511710A&chrSuperSKU=511710&MC=&CatID=&mySort=

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.