Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
13,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my eye on this used CZ in .22 Hornet since all of last summer, waiting to see if the price would drop. It didn't:whinging:, but pricing a new one ($700) made it seem like a bargain.

Some fool painted a nice walnut stock black, and broke the magazine catch, but he sweetened it up by providing a spare magazine ($45 worth) and a .22 Mag Simmons scope (3-9) which will probably disappear before long.:)

It's got some dents and dings, enough to give it character, but we'll see what it looks like after stripping off the black paint. I work in a cabinet shop, so I can handle the wood rework okay.:2thumbsup:
It will be a fun wintertime project to dink around with.

[file]89066[/file] [file]89067[/file] [file]89068[/file]

·
Registered
13,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've got to order a replacement part, the magazine catch, and will do so soon enough, then I'll get to work on the stock. I probably won't shoot it till it warms up some, I don't shoot so well in the cold.:D
It will probably be a couple of months before I get it rolling.

·
Registered
70,350 Posts
Might have gotten that one from the fella at the Stover gun show a few years back. He had bought some old rusted guns on the cheap and picked up a can of flat black paint from Dollar General and what he called "Parkerized" them. Looked good from 10 feet away but you could take your fingernail and scrape off the paint on the receiver. I think he went home with the same amount of guns he brought.:shrug:

·
Registered
5,530 Posts
Glen i have always thought the 22 hornet would be a fun gun to have. i wouldn't mind a hornet in a sporter ruger No1. but i have also though about finding a barrel for my savage striker in hornet too, although it would require me to buy a differant bolt head to swap out with the barrel i beleive.

·
Registered
32,765 Posts
Why would you paint a nice wood stock??

·
Registered
13,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
[rquote=1546276&tid=107645&author=psycho]hey ive come across a few .22 hornets for sale lately. one ruger 77 and a remington, ranging in price from $450- $575 i think. Are they worth that much? how much are shells?[/rquote]

The Ruger uses a two-piece bolt, and sometimes there is an issue with accuracy and the Ruger Hornets, though those bolts can be shimmed somehow to make them shoot better. Remington has only sold one Hornet I can think of, those 799s they imported from Yugoslavia a couple years ago. (Mini-Mark X Mausers) They usually shoot very well, but need some trigger work and bolt smoothing to make them work as well as they ought to.
Oddly, the Rugers usually bring good money and the Remingtons don't, the Remington is a better rifle. I wouldn't pay more than $400 for a Remington 799, that was "new price" too. I wouldn't buy a Ruger Hornet for anything, though. Just don't like the design.
CZ and Browning Micro A bolts seem to ALWAYS shoot well, I've heard of no lemons in either brand.
Hornet ammo varies in price, but the shop I was in today had some old stock from the 1980s at 1980s pricing ($29.95/50) New Winchester stuff was $44.95/50 and new Remington was $49.95/50, guess which I bought:D. Hornady, S&B, RWS, and other European companies offer .22 Hornet ammo, I don't know what their prices are like, but Hornady's boxes are only 25 count, so their price should be less than the others.
Hornady has a 35 gr. VMax bullet, all the others use either a 45 gr. softpoint or a 46 gr. hollowpoint.

I just bought my ammo so I could have some brass to fool with, I normally handload all my own stuff. I can load the Hornet down to .22 Magnum levels, if I really want to, or load it to factory spec, you really can't load them too much faster without chancing things.
It will be a fun thing to play with, and it only uses about half as much powder as the cheapskate .223, so it's really inexpensive to load for.

·
Registered
13,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
[rquote=1546295&tid=107645&author=JimH]Glen i have always thought the 22 hornet would be a fun gun to have. i wouldn't mind a hornet in a sporter ruger No1. but i have also though about finding a barrel for my savage striker in hornet too, although it would require me to buy a differant bolt head to swap out with the barrel i beleive.[/rquote]

I don't think anyone is making a bolt head in Hornet size, Jim, it's too small for the 110/10 bolt heads, and it would never feed from the 110/10 magazine, either. Maybe someone is doing it, but I haven't heard anything about 'em.

·
Registered
13,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
[rquote=1546337&tid=107645&author=Reflex]Why would you paint a nice wood stock??[/rquote]

I have no idea why the previous owner painted it, he might have been in "tacticool" mode, or maybe he fox-hunted at night (legal in Kentucky, I think), who knows? It should strip off easily enough. I have 50 gal.drums of laquer thinner at work, that should strip the stock clean pretty quick.

·
Registered
5,530 Posts
glen i didn't even think of that, i had just assumed it was an option since the savage striker has the same barrel set up as the rifles.
looks like a bit more research on my end and may have to settle on a .223 barrel.

·
Registered
5,530 Posts
well the only model savage list the 22 hornet i could find is the model 40, so i would assume a bolt head would be available if it fits the striker bolt. :confused: anther easier option for me might just be the 204 ruger in that thing. :cheers:

·
Registered
13,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
[rquote=1546350&tid=107645&author=JimH]glen i didn't even think of that, i had just assumed it was an option since the savage striker has the same barrel set up as the rifles.
looks like a bit more research on my end and may have to settle on a .223 barrel.[/rquote]

Do a custom .221 Fireball! Same bolt head as .223, just less powder burning. Or .223, they are fun, just not as "cool" as the Furball.

·
Registered
13,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
the Model 40 has a mid-bolt lockup, if I remember right, it's like a Savage rimfire, only it has a bolt more like the 77/22. sorta the worst of both worlds (it's not a "happy design" in my book). Go .221, same ballistics or a bit better, and suited for a pistol length barrel.

·
Registered
9,730 Posts
Sounds like a nice project there, glenn....I hope the wood underneath that awful black paint is a nice piece of burl!!!

I always admired the Hornet but for some reason never have owned or played with one. I heard accuracy was a sometimes thing from some rifles.....don't see many around. Maybe that's why. Keep us informed with how it shoots.

Vic

·
Registered
6,315 Posts
I have long wanted a hornet, it would be the perfect rifle for feral cat control. IMO :D

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.