It felt Sooo Good.....

Discussion in 'Guns & Ammo' started by Mailman, May 25, 2009.

1. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    After I had mowed grass for 6 hours today at my place in Morgan County I decided to forget squirrel hunting and just shoot a box of .17 HMR's from my Marlin 17V. The wind kept playing havoc with my groups by blowing that little pellet ever so slightly but at 50 and 100 yards it was still good enough to pop a squirrel in the head...if I had gone hunting.

Here is the rifle that I've told you about that I refinished and re-checkered. Not bad for a piece of birch.

[file]58338[/file]

[file]58336[/file]

2. Mailman

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    Here are the 50 and 100 yard targets

[file]58342[/file]

[file]58340[/file]

3. MoBowman

MoBowman Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    :rock::rock: Sweet looking rifle Bill

4. yankee

yankee Senior Member

your gonna blame that 100yd group on the wind:D:D, 2 words trigger control:D:D

just kidding, nice looking rifle and targets, missouri tree rat season is open??????

5. JimH

JimH Active Member

Nov 6, 2003
    St. Louis
    [rquote=1274395&tid=89214&author=yankee]your gonna blame that 100yd group on the wind:D:D, 2 words trigger control:D:D[/rquote]

mailman have you replaced your factory trigger with one of those Rifle Basics (sp?) aftermarket ones?

6. jaytee

jaytee New Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Fair Grove
    Great looking gun Bill. Did you do the checkering work?

7. Swampy

Swampy New Member

hmmmmmmmmm the 100 yarder looks like a pull to me:hysterical::stirpot:

8. venatic

venatic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Very nice looking work on the rifle MM! I won't comment on your shooting and I would attribute it to having just gotten done mowing for 6 hours.

9. Mailman

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    As for the trigger .... I replace the factory one with a Rifle Basix and have it set for just a hair over one pound. Very touchy especially like Venatic stated after 6 hours of bouncing around on a riding mower on those rocks in Morgan County. If I had shot at 7 AM while it was still cool and calm I would have had more confidence of how my groups would turn out. Once done mowing the wind was gusting and the thunder heads were getting closer. Probably should have woke the neighbors up on Sunday morning with 50 rounds. But none the less....It felt sooo good.

jaytee...yes I did the checkering work. All I did was actually go over the original pressed checkering with my checkering tools and cut out the pressed wood. Checkering was done by hand back in the day....believe it or not. Now it is either pressed or computer machine cut. It just makes a cheap stock look a bit more classy IMO.

10. Mailman

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    [rquote=1274395&tid=89214&author=yankee] Missouri tree rat season is open??????[/rquote]

Yep.....opened Saturday the 23rd of May.

11. Gamegetter

Gamegetter Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2004
    That gun looks and shoots better than the shooter. ;) :D :2thumbsup:

12. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

I've seen MM shoot.....It sho ain't trigger control!!!! Looks like squirrel meat to me, MM!!!

13. sambo3006

sambo3006 Well-Known Member

Nov 23, 2007
    Christian County
    I'd hate to be a squirrel on Mailman's place, that's for sure.

14. coyotehunter

coyotehunter PURE KILLER

Jan 19, 2005
    mexico,mo.
    [rquote=1274626&tid=89214&author=sambo3006]I'd hate to be a squirrel on Mailman's place, that's for sure.[/rquote]i think it would be a pretty safe place,he never kills anything there:stirpot:

15. Mailman

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    [rquote=1274644&tid=89214&author=coyotehunter][rquote=1274626&tid=89214&author=sambo3006]I'd hate to be a squirrel on Mailman's place, that's for sure.[/rquote]i think it would be a pretty safe place,he never kills anything there:stirpot:[/rquote]

Sorry to say.....you're right on that one yote...:whinging:

16. Curtis

Curtis Active Member

Mar 1, 2005
    St. Peters, MO
    [rquote=1274554&tid=89214&author=Mailman]As for the trigger .... I replace the factory one with a Rifle Basix and have it set for just a hair over one pound. [/rquote]

Did you get the trigger blued? :confused:

My rifle basix trigger on the 917 is stainless

17. Mailman

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    [rquote=1276647&tid=89214&author=curtism1234][rquote=1274554&tid=89214&author=Mailman]As for the trigger .... I replace the factory one with a Rifle Basix and have it set for just a hair over one pound. [/rquote]

Did you get the trigger blued? :confused:

My rifle basix trigger on the 917 is stainless[/rquote]

Nope.....mine is a model 17V.....not a 917. Not sure on the difference.