Is She Right?

Discussion in 'Fishing Gear & Tackle' started by oneshot 1, Dec 29, 2016.

1. oneshot 1

oneshot 1 Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Besides a woman always being right.

Ok have couple Jon Boats spotted both 16 foot long. One is 36 inches wide the other is 60 inches wide.

I got rid of a 18/60 because it was to big to handle by myself. I have a 12 foot, not sure how wide but pretty wide and sets up good in the water.

I'm thinking of at least Gigging out of one of these 16 footers. My wife says I have no business on the river in middle of Winter after dark. I won't be able to find anyone to go with me and I catch plenty of fish from the bank. Use the 12 footer mostly to chase Crappie around brush piles.

Ok my Pension Check is burning a hole in my pocket before I get it. Get it and buy one of the Boats sell my 12 footer? Or put the money into either doing work on or House or the Cabin?

You know I will probably do what she wants but go ahead give me your opinion.

:D Glad he never asked for opinions on the Big Grin.
  2. ducksNbucks

ducksNbucks Senior Member

Mar 13, 2011
    Lathrop, MO

3. Gamegetter

Gamegetter Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2004
    If you got rid of an 18/60 because it was too big to handle yourself and your only reason to buy a 16/60 is to maybe do some gigging which would likely be by yourself, I'd say keep what you got and use the money for something that is a needed to improve the house or keep the money until you do have a pressing need. The 16/36 does not sound sturdy enough to gig out of to me. Yep, she's right.
  4. DAYMAN65

DAYMAN65 Senior Member

Nov 7, 2013
    greene/webster area
    I vote cabin upgrades
  5. Maddog3355

Maddog3355 Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2014
    Maries County
  6. MrHunter785

MrHunter785 Active Member

Jun 11, 2015
    From reading everything I don't think either one of you are right.
  7. oneshot 1

Jun 11, 2003

The 16/36 has Gigging Rail and Lights $800. The 16/60 just Boat and Trailer $400.

I have a 5HP Motor and Trolling Motor.

I have already put a bunch of money into the 12 foot and have hauled me and my 300 pound Grandson in it.

:D The Big Grin don't care she can't eat fish.
  8. bigbass

bigbass Keep calm and Chive on!

Nov 17, 2009
    No way in hell I would gig out of a 36" wide boat.. Far to unstable to be messing around in a cold river at night..
    Just my :02:
  9. oneshot 1

Jun 11, 2003
    My Son has worked on the river for years. So I asked him on this and before I told him the prices. He said the 36 inch would be better it is what most use because it is like a canoe can get in around trees better.

Then I told him the prices and he said well he would go with the Wider.

I figure I will go with the Wider considering I'm taking it out on Truman Lake also but I've been taking my narrow 12 footer out on Truman Lake anyway.

If I don't buy either I will continue to take my 12 footer out on the Lakes.

:D Long as the Big Grin is dry.
  10. MJO21

MJO21 Active Member

Dec 12, 2008
    Union, MO
    First of all.."is she right???" If you have to ask, then she is right.

1. How do you go gigging by yourself? Bow mount rolling motor, float down river??

2. No way I would gig out if a 36" bottom, buddy has a 1436, I am not comfortable enough to stand and cast out of it.

3. Buy the 1660. Wide and stable and the $400 you save will get the rack and a good set up of LEDs.
  11. robbie

robbie Member

Nov 18, 2009
    $400 for 16 ft long 60 in wide Jon boat and trailer.
    Am I missing something? Seems like a heck of a deal. I'll take one!!
  12. oneshot 1

Jun 11, 2003

Well finally my wife realized this. I'm trying to get in touch with the Guy. Found another for $800 but I'm waiting on this Guy.

:D The Big Grin would be dry.
  13. oneshot 1

Jun 11, 2003
    Well I measured my 12 Foot Boat it is 32 wide and 14 deep.

My Son says it will work just fine considering we have stood on the Front and never flipped it.

This Guy here uses same size Boat. I have seen him fishing up by the Dam in background when they was running water. Told him he has a bigger set than me.

:D :eek: The Big Grin don't want to get wet.