Featured Is it old news on Lee Lakowsky's IA DNR ticket

Discussion in 'Whitetails General' started by 20', Feb 26, 2018.

1. 20'

20' Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2017
    I must have missed it
  2. 20'

20' Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2017

3. Keef

Keef Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Clark Co, MO
    Yes it's old news. He got lucky and there wasn't a big public outcry about it.
  4. 20'

20' Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2017
    Seems like it was a mistake and used the wrong tag
  5. Hooks

Hooks Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2010
    Down the bayou
    That'll teach folks to report those kills!
    Anyone else find it ironic that if he would have just skinned it and never told anybody......nevr mind it was a TV hunter killing a big buck, apparently the only one he took this year...i guess that wasn't an option.
  6. 20'

20' Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2017

Guessing they could have confiscated the buck if they wanted??? He must have used a doe tag or archery turkey????

Oh well, at least bill busbice cant hunt in like 49 states for awhile!!!!
  7. Pastor

Pastor Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2008
    A couple years ago I mistakenly thought the county I hunted in allowed a bonus so about a week after I called both deer in i get a phone call from the game warden. He said he knew I wasn't trying to be illegal or I wouldn't have called it in. He said he wishes he didn't have to give me a ticket but they had a recorded confession. Cost me about 400 bucks. I made a mistake and paid the price. Just kinda sucked that the guy trying to be legal gets the big bill while so many poachers go Scott free.
  8. CuivreDog2

CuivreDog2 Addicted Habitat Junkie

Mar 27, 2010
    Lincoln County, MO
    This stinks and is a classic example of where someone made an honest mistake and are penalized for that honesty!

How about this for a solution?

Confiscate the bonus deer, donate the meat to the Share the Harvest program, and issue you a written warning for your mistake.

Needy are helped out, Pastor learns a lesson, and MDC agent builds goodwill in his county with law abiding citizens.
  9. letemgrow

letemgrow Well-Known Member

Putting the wrong tag on a deer can happen pretty easily. Pays to check, then double check before slapping on the tag.

I'm going to color code my tags this year so I have an easier reference on which one to use....

Try going to a new state, where things are different and get used to one way of doing it for 20+ years...even easier to mess that up.
    20' likes this.
  10. farmnhunt

farmnhunt Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2006
    My wife is not real organized. Drives me nuts sometimes. Her hunting backpack is a nightmare probably had tags for 3 or 4 years until last year. She shot a deer. Son had already killed one so he helped here get it to the house.

I hunted until 10:30, came to house. Wife is all smiles . " I got my deer, Son and I got it to the house and I telechecked it." I look on the counter.
    Is that the tag you used?

That's last years tag.
    She called local agent he canceled the telecheck and told her to call it in with correct tag. No biggie, but we have a good relationship with the local agent.

Now she cleans out the back pack!!!
    bverboy likes this.
  11. lopester59

lopester59 Member

Dec 17, 2010
    I used the wrong tag about 25 years ago. After a 2 week hunt where I didn't harvest a deer I came home and put my tags in a drawer like I always do. I hunted again after Thanksgiving so I got my tag from the drawer. I killed a buck Sunday and tagged it. I checked it at an archery shop and went home. I received a call Monday informing me I had used a tag from the previous year. I still had my tag from the previous year in the drawer and had picked up the wrong tag before I left to hunt. Mistakes do happen.
  12. manitou1

manitou1 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2012
    Truman Lake
    I ended up using colored marking pens on my tags last season. It would be a shame to have a brain cramp and burn an any deer tag on a doe and not be able to use it on a buck. The writing is small and I seldom carry reading glasses to the woods.
  13. 20'

20' Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2017

$400 seems a bit stiff, considering the poachers seem get a slap on the wrist if they get caught
    Woods likes this.
  14. 20'

20' Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2017
    I once had the wrong guys tags issued to me and didn't catch it until I was tagging a buck! Was like wtf!
  15. Satch

Satch Senior Member

Aug 5, 2008
    Central MO
    Don't worry, Rob didn't mind
  16. Steelman

Steelman Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2009
    Way back in the early 80's my 1st wife's father hit a buck in Bush Wildlife Area on his way to work. He came by my place in New Melle to tell me to go get the deer and a disposition tag so he could keep the meat. I found the deer (not far from all the plastic grill pieces on the road) with two broken back legs, dispatched it with a tire iron, field dressed it, put it in the trunk of my car and drove about a 1/2 mile to BW Headquarters building. The agent said he could write me a ticket for illegally transporting a deer but he didn't. I could be wrong but I don't think I would have been as lucky with today's agents.
  17. swat1018

swat1018 Active Member

Jan 1, 2013
    Lakoski supposedly killed the buck without purchasing the tag. Instead of admitting the mistake, his mother in law supposedly went and purchased a tag, and he tagged the buck after the fact. Like in most states, the system flags the kill if the kill is within a short time of the tag purchase.
  18. 20'

20' Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2017
    Interesting, it seem highly foolish for Ol Lee not to have a tag while hunting?
  19. swat1018

swat1018 Active Member

Jan 1, 2013

Violation: Unlawful transport of deer (purchase tag after harvest).

The head law enforcement man of the Iowa DNR did acknowledge Lee to be a poacher in writing but denied any favoritism shown towards Lee.
  20. Pastor

Pastor Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2008
    I really doubt he would jeopardize his reputation by internationally doing this but I would think he panicked and tried to fix it. Having said that he shouldn't get any better treatment than anyone else who they feel made an honest mistake