Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
9,765 Posts
Is it worth $40 for 1/2 acre. Sounds so pricy, but have heard good things. Wondering if any of you guys of ever used it with success?
Being in a large hunting club we have been able to plant all kind of different blends and although it is good I don't think it's any better than the cheaper stuff we have planted.Plant different varieties and experiment.If I was in the Midwest I would have multiple stands of clover/alfalfa in that climate.

· Banned
81,617 Posts
We have done side by side comparison with synergy ladino years ago. Didn't see any visible difference in plants or deer useage of the plants.

· Registered
21,512 Posts
Ladino Clover don't take much per acre because it runs. If I was planting it I would plant some Rye with it and mow the Rye when it starts to head.

oneshot

:D Why is the Big Grin thinking Rye Whiskey?

· Registered
40 Posts
I’ve used Whitetail institute clover several times with good results. If you’re in the Nixa area, the last two years I’ve bought the fall plot blend from Nixa Hardware, I have had great results with it. The blend has two clover varieties that have done really well on my rocky ozark soil. I’m sure you could buy just clover from them also.

· Under appreciated
93,225 Posts
I just buy the jumbo ladino and call it good. You can get it for about half the price or mix it with others yourself.

Reactions: callaojoe

· Registered
2,060 Posts
I have had lots of luck with the WI clover. Used it all the time when I had smaller plots. It really shines when you have a small plot and a bag will do the job. No worry about mixing, etc. I can tell you that I planted an acre in 2013 and it's still doing well. The cost of the seed is about the last thing I'd worry about when trying to establish a good clover plot. There are a lot bigger concerns.

2,031 Posts
Most important thing to get a good stand is a soil test. Figure out what you're missing and correct it. Anything will grow well at that point.

I have a couple of WI plots. The Fusion mix turned out great. My Alfarack didn't do well with minimal weed pressure. Chic-Magnet is by far the best I've tried.

For their fall mix I'd recommend Ambush. It outperformed Antler King and a couple others I tried.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.