1 - 20 of 46 Posts

· Registered
8,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have been useing 180 grain in a 300 win mag for elk
but latley i was wondering if i should go up to a heaver
round.
so what do you guys think, is 180 heavy enuf or do ya
think i should move up and if so what too.

· Registered
13,828 Posts
180s would be my choice, probably the Nosler Partition bullet would be the one, or the Trophy Bonded. They seem to be the choice of the guys on 24hourcampfire, who have done it.

· Registered
2,672 Posts
Originally posted by brike
i have been useing 180 grain in a 300 win mag for elk
but latley i was wondering if i should go up to a heaver
round.
so what do you guys think, is 180 heavy enuf or do ya
think i should move up and if so what too.
You mentioned that you have been using 180 for elk, well how did it do?

· Registered
8,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nicholas
i have only taken one young bull and it was a very close shot square threw the hart.

what concerns me is a hit on a older-tuffer bull that may be not so good of a hit, would a little more shock be better ?

· Registered
8,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Big John

nope factory loads
CO. elk-- O to 400 yards
dont know what the twist is--the rifle is a
rimington sendaro w/stainless fluted barrel

· Registered
7,289 Posts
Ok well in most cases a round nose bullet stablizes faster than a pointed bullet which makes it more accurate, 400 yards I would consider using a 220 GR. round nose for that purpose. Just my $.02.

I just checked, the twist rate is 1:10" twist just so you know.

· Registered
3,647 Posts
Originally posted by Big John

Ok well in most cases a round nose bullet stablizes faster than a pointed bullet which makes it more accurate, 400 yards I would consider using a 220 GR. round nose
That sure goes against anything I have ever been taught (pointed vs. round nose related to accuracy.) But what do I know?

You are the expert.

· Registered
13,828 Posts
I sure wouldn't choose the RN over the spitzer shape, unless I KNEW it were under 200 yards, either. A 1-10 will stabilize anything under 240 grains, it's the standard twist rate for .30/06s. A 1-12" will stabilize a 180 just fine, in fact.
Just go get some Federal Premiums with 180 Noslers, and go kill stuff.

· Registered
7,289 Posts
" As a general rule, barrels with a slow twist rate ( requiring more barrel for the bullet to complete one full revolution) may not properly stablize heavy weight bullets unless the bullets are of a round nose design."

PAGE 56 Nosler reloading manual number two.

· Registered
13,828 Posts
Yes, John, but a 1-10" twist is FAST for a .30 caliber. Check around, the twist rate for a .308 Win., for example, is 1-12" and they stabilize 180s just fine. The M14 has a 1-11" twist, most .30 match rifles use a 1-12", and those 180-190 match bullets work fine. Speed also has an effect on stabilization of bullets.
Benchrest shooters use the Minimum twist possible, so that they can alter the bullet as little as possible (which is why 1-14" twist 6mm barrels exist.) GENERALLY SPEAKING, using the slowest twist possible with the chosen bullet produces best accuracy. Let's get back to the question brike asked!:smiley:

· Registered
13,828 Posts
I think you're giving bad advise, John. At 400 yards, the 220 is less apt to open up and do what it's supposed to, and it's harder to hit with, too. You were also the one to bring up twist rates, which, considering his chambering, is totally irrelevant. That's all I'm going to say about it.

· Registered
481 Posts
180 grains in a 300 win mag is sufficient enough to kill an elk. heck just look at the loads they use in the 270 for elk.... 165 grains, maybe 150.

the 180 grain nosler partition with a 200 yard shot should prove to be good "medicine" for elk.

the key to it all is proper shot placement, wich i don't personally think would be a problem. good luck on your hunt

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.