Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner

Invited to hunt a farm, questions

4K views 38 replies 32 participants last post by  Bryan Heimann 
#1 ·
A buddy at work invited me to hunt his farm in doe season. Actually my load planner/manager (I’m a trucker). I have never hunted a private piece of ground and I am super pumped. A nice place, lot of deer stands. Now I already feel a debt I owe him, I plan to ask if I can bring my daughter to shoot a doe instead. But anyway what should I bring him? He’s a fisherman and obviously a deer hunter. I am not showing up empty handed, what would you bring out for a gift when invited to hunt a farm.

#8 ·
There is a fellow from this forum who has been bringing his youtes up to hunt the late season on my place for 8 to 10 years. He always gives me a gift card for a local restaurant, very thoughtful and my wife and I greatly appreciate it. I never expect or want anything but it is very nice of him to bring us a gift we both can use.

#11 ·
Personally I would make sure he drinks before gifting him a bottle. Some folks keep demons corked up in them bottles.
If he drinks that is a great choice, if not maybe a dessert?

#13 ·
Lots of ideas, unless you know the booze can be a bad idea. A nice country cured ham. Restaurant gift card. He fishes, bass pro card. A decent (not hickory farms) sausage and cheese and snacks basket. Telling him and following thru you'll help work plots or whatever next summer.

#17 ·
When I stay in my former bosses cabin I try to bring him a big thick prime ribeye steak. Everyone loves a good steak dinner after a day of hunting. Buying gifts for a guy like him is tough so I feel providing a nice meal is my best option. He doesn’t drink or keep any alcohol around so that is out.

#20 ·
All these suggestions are good. Playing on what boot heel said, offering to bring everything for a nice dinner would be good of you. A friend at work took me to his lease this year. I paid for the hotel and bought him breakfast on the way up. His wife packed food for both of us for the other meals which was awesome.

#21 ·
2 or 3 varieties of Oberle Sausage/Meats from St Gen Missouri ...or one of their gift packs ..been making summer sausage n other meats since 1870's and are world renowned

Booze can offend some people ..you just cannot pizz them off with food items ..which by the way will include the LADY of the operation ...

Not good doing a switch of shooters on the guys invite ...and this guy you say affects you job ..go alone for sure first time ..you can always mention how you would love to let your kid be the shooter instead of you someday ..first trip is to get invited back so don't muff it!

Bear

#22 ·
I’d give him something nice and valuable so he would look the other way when I smoke a big buck during doe season and check it in with my bow tag😁

#23 ·
I appreciate it. I’m not super worried about getting invited back, though it would be awesome. I just want to show my gratitude and maintain a good working relationship. I am also considered moving out that way, after my wife finishes nursing school.

I have daydreams about owning a nice piece of property and having good neighbors like that. I am a nerd.

Reactions: WILKinKC and rat
#26 ·
I'll second or third not taking liquor if you dont know whether they drink or not.

I can tell you that a cured ham is hard to beat. Or gift cards as other have recommended. Good luck!

#27 · (Edited)
I voted for the liquor but that is an individual choice on whats good or not..just look at the whisky thread if you dont agree so I think probably a GC to a nice eating establishment would be ideal.

What part of the state you in? I'd suggest if in the Columbia area you get a GC to CC City Broiler..hard to beat steak and sea food

#30 ·
Yes - after agreeing with early suggestions of a bottle, I think was wrong for an initial visit to your friend’s farm. Feel the situation out with a more universal offering.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.