Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
2 or 3 varieties of Oberle Sausage/Meats from St Gen Missouri ...or one of their gift packs ..been making summer sausage n other meats since 1870's and are world renowned

Booze can offend some people ..you just cannot pizz them off with food items ..which by the way will include the LADY of the operation ...

Not good doing a switch of shooters on the guys invite ...and this guy you say affects you job ..go alone for sure first time ..you can always mention how you would love to let your kid be the shooter instead of you someday ..first trip is to get invited back so don't muff it!

Bear

·
Registered
7,929 Posts
I’d give him something nice and valuable so he would look the other way when I smoke a big buck during doe season and check it in with my bow tag😁

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I appreciate it. I’m not super worried about getting invited back, though it would be awesome. I just want to show my gratitude and maintain a good working relationship. I am also considered moving out that way, after my wife finishes nursing school.

I have daydreams about owning a nice piece of property and having good neighbors like that. I am a nerd.

Reactions: WILKinKC and rat

·
Registered
349 Posts
Cabelas or Bass Pro gift card
Let him get something he wants
Also offer to help with farm chores in the off season

·
Under appreciated
90,840 Posts
I'll second or third not taking liquor if you dont know whether they drink or not.

I can tell you that a cured ham is hard to beat. Or gift cards as other have recommended. Good luck!

·
just a no body
15,163 Posts
I voted for the liquor but that is an individual choice on whats good or not..just look at the whisky thread if you dont agree so I think probably a GC to a nice eating establishment would be ideal.

What part of the state you in? I'd suggest if in the Columbia area you get a GC to CC City Broiler..hard to beat steak and sea food

·
Registered
742 Posts
Skip the booze imo. Go with the safer bets mentioned already. Something unique geared towards what he likes or what anyone would like.

·
Part-time malcontent
7,748 Posts
Skip the booze imo. Go with the safer bets mentioned already. Something unique geared towards what he likes or what anyone would like.
Yes - after agreeing with early suggestions of a bottle, I think was wrong for an initial visit to your friend’s farm. Feel the situation out with a more universal offering.

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
71,952 Posts
On thinkin this through, 30 rack of Busch Light and a bottle of Evan Williams. 👍🏻😎

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Personally I would make sure he drinks before gifting him a bottle. Some folks keep demons corked up in them bottles.
If he drinks that is a great choice, if not maybe a dessert?
I've done those big azz apple pies as a thank you,can't remember the store,that was well recieved.

·
Registered
32,613 Posts
Reactions: timberdoodle

·
Registered
12,860 Posts
I always preferred gift cards to a nice local
eatery. Everybody eats but not everybody drinks. Unless you know for sure he drinks, food is always a safe bet. The thought usually means more than the actual gift.

·
Registered
19,527 Posts
A buddy at work invited me to hunt his farm in doe season. Actually my load planner/manager (I’m a trucker). I have never hunted a private piece of ground and I am super pumped. A nice place, lot of deer stands. Now I already feel a debt I owe him, I plan to ask if I can bring my daughter to shoot a doe instead. But anyway what should I bring him? He’s a fisherman and obviously a deer hunter. I am not showing up empty handed, what would you bring out for a gift when invited to hunt a farm.
Dont take this the wrong way... as I appreciate anyone that takes kids hunting especially daughters! But.... the landowner invited YOU.... might consider getting your 1st hunt in with the landowner then bring up bringing your daughter out for late season. Just A Thought.... As for gifts I recommend picking something that also covers your buddies significant other.... Gift card to a local restaurant should fit the bill... I don’t believe you mentioned how many days your hunt will be... but make sure you take what ever food you enjoy and plenty of it! Hope you have an eventful/safe hunt!

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
I could not make it out today. Had things more important to take care of. So sick of being a grown up!

Tomorrow I might still hunt some conservation land nearby before work. Have to choose between using my any sex tag on a doe, or save it for alt weapon season. Pellet gun hunting squirrels instead, don’t want to disturb the deer with my 12 gauge.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts