Introduction: Originally from Springfield Area - Currently live in Italy Hunting Wild Boar

Discussion in 'Hog Hunting' started by TreySmith, Feb 23, 2018.

1. TreySmith

TreySmith New Member

Feb 23, 2018
    Hey guys,

I wasn't sure if this is the best spot to put an introduction to the forum, if there is a better spot just point me to it and I'll delete this post :)

I'm originally from the Springfield area, been Active Duty Navy for almost 6 years now and have been living in Italy for a little over one year.

I grew up hunting upland birds with the typical western bird dog breeds and then when I moved out to Italy I decided I wanted to hunt wild boar. I have 3 dogs, an American Akita, a Curr Mix, and a Kishu Ken. The Akita & Curr are both finished boar dogs and are my foundation for my hunts, the Kishu Ken is a puppy that is being started on boar and still has a lot of training to go.

My choice of boar dogs is a little unorthodox but the different hunting style that my Akita & Kishu Ken have when hunting fits the way I like to hunt so it works for me.

I'll be moving back to Missouri in October of this year, and transitioning out of the military. I can't wait to get back to experience some big game hunting and the overall comfort of being in the states. Italy's hunting and firearm laws are extremely strict, and expensive, so that's definitely one thing I will not be missing.

I'm extremely glad I found this community, and I look forward to connecting more with you guys.
    tcwild, 20' and Maddux like this.
  2. flatlander_

flatlander_ Really? Show me. .

Thanks for your service!

Got any pics of your Italian hunts! Well. . . That sounds bad, I'm sure you're not hunting Italians.:D

How about pics of your hunts in Italy?
    TreySmith likes this.

3. TreySmith

TreySmith New Member

Feb 23, 2018
    @flatlander_ I like that General Mattis quote you have in your signature!

I've only got a couple pictures! This is from my last hunt with the pups. I just use the dogs and a knife, the traditional stick way. Since it's only me on these hunts I don't have any nice pictures of them catching or baying as I'm trying to wrangle in to stick the pig and keep the dogs from taking me on a new adventure.

The boar in these pictures was around 140 pounds, and he had a real nice sweet flavor.

(The serial killer garage where I did my butchering is where my landlord keeps his tractor lol)

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    tcwild and flatlander_ like this.
  4. fishshooter

fishshooter Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Welcome and thank you

Looks like good meat on the hog, ain't seen a wild one here with that kind of fat
  5. Bootheel Boy

Bootheel Boy Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2012
    Thank you for your service. Maybe you can find a landowner in Missouri that will let you hunt hogs.
    TreySmith likes this.
  6. BackyardBandit

BackyardBandit Don't mind me

Jan 12, 2012
    West St. Louis Co.
    Good stuff! Any details on the gun and hunting laws?
  7. TreySmith

TreySmith New Member

Feb 23, 2018
    @fishshooter they get pretty fat out here it seems, must be the pizza and pasta:p They also have a lot of crossing between the wild cinghiale and their own Caserta black hogs that I think have made them fatter in general.

The area closest to me with high numbers of hogs is Benevento. They're out in the mountains and some of the villages out there have entire festivals centered around wild boar cooking and dishes.

@BackyardBandit I would have to look into specific numbers and timeframes but this would be the general information and outlook of it. So for firearms, there's multiple courses, exams, mental health exams/documents, you have to follow. I remember there being like 3 parts to being able to purchase a gun whenever I looked into it. After you have passed that portion, you either have to build a gun safe/secure room into your home following specific regulations or store the gun at the Carabinieri (their police branch that falls under the military).

For hunting specifically with a gun you have to follow all the firearm regulations, then you have to apply for specific zones (like counties) that you want to hunt. Each zone has specific requirements and knowledge based questions that are asked on the test. You also have to pay for every zone that you want to hunt in annually to have a license. When I looked at it all for me I remember it would've cost me around 5,000 euro for me to be able to have a license for a firearm for one year. I would've had to become fluent enough in Italian to pass the written and verbal assessments also.

Hunting is really a different concept out here. It's not very common. I made friends with Italians through working at NATO and they were able to point me in the right direction for me to able to get around some things.
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
    BackyardBandit likes this.
  8. farmnhunt

farmnhunt Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2006
    Thank you for your service. Being in a different country sure makes America look good!!!!
    TreySmith likes this.
  9. Mule

Mule Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2003
    Franklin County, MO
    What part of Italy are you in?

I took an extended trip in the Dolomites just 5 k from Austria. When asked, I was told hunting in the region was not permitted. Fishing regs were strange also. A copy of my Missouri fishing permit was required before I could obtain a local permit.

The local GSD's were all big black brutes.

to my knowledge, Missouri does no permit use of dogs for hog hunting. Also be aware, hog hunting on state and federal land is currently prohibited.

Thank you for your service.
  10. TreySmith

TreySmith New Member

Feb 23, 2018
    @farmnhunt You're not wrong! There's a lot of cultural comforts that I took for granted before that I had never really thought of prior to living out here.

@Mule I'm in the Campania region, just a little north of Naples. They have a lot of WWF land and some National Parks that I know are off limits. North Italy is very different than Southern Italy though, I haven't spent too much time up there. I know there's great boar hunting in Tuscany though, it's all traditional European style driven hunts.

I haven't gone fishing out here yet, I really want to and will probably go this Summer. I don't know the licensing requirements for it, but I've had quite a few Italians that spear fish for squids invite me to go with them so I don't think it's too difficult. My girlfriend's uncle and cousins do it so I can ask them for more information on legal requirements for fishing.

Nothing is enforced legally in Southern Italy also (too much corruption), which could be part of why they've never acted like it would be any big process for me to go fish with them.

I saw that Federal and State lands are only for MDC trapping now :(

I do think that you can still hunt hogs with dogs on private land. There's a Missouri Working Dog Community (Missouri Hunting & Working Dog Alliance) that has a bunch of guys who hunt them with their dogs and keep a running tally of numbers going to try to convince MDC to allow dog hunters to help control the population. I figure if all else fails I'll go play the permissions and land leasing game down in Arkansas to run my dogs and fill the freezer with pork :)

Thanks for the welcome to the community guys!
    tcwild likes this.
  11. tcwild

tcwild Junior Member

Oct 16, 2013
    Thanks for your service. My buddy has went to Oklahoma and stuck a couple pigs, he says it's a rush.
    TreySmith likes this.