Interesting stats from last years deer season

Discussion in 'Whitetails General' started by Hawk, Aug 11, 2017.

1. Hawk

Hawk Well-Known Member Sponsor

Oct 15, 2009
    The number of total hunters that killed 2 antlered bucks in 2015-16 season- 1831 hunters.

The number of total hunters that killed 2 antlered bucks in 2016-2017 season - 6656.

Buck tags were reduced from 3 to 2 per person and almost 4 times more people killed 2 antlered bucks.... why??

2. archer66

archer66 5 shots 1 kill

Jun 21, 2008
    Lol. Do you have the other stat and are holding it back?

How many of the archery bucks were killed with a crossbow?

3. Hawk

Oct 15, 2009
    Which other stat?

It doesnt say...

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
  4. Hawk

Oct 15, 2009
    There were 15k more archery permits issued last year. Given how many permits are normally issued versus how many people actually archery hunt that get a permit, thats a very large increase
    Its very unlikely that many of the people that took the time to get a permit last year, but didnt in years past didnt hunt. Normally we issue about 190k permits and only 110k people archery hunt. Add 15k archery hunters and thats about a 15% increase in actual archery hunters, and that doesnt include the portion of hunters that were issued landowner tags in the past but didnt archery hunt then, did last year for some reason.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
  5. Muleskinner

Muleskinner Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2006
    Osage County
    I would say mostly because of the Cwd rule . If it's brown its down. I wish they would reconsider the 4 point rule. I like seeing big bucks.

6. MeatHunter

MeatHunter Just Livin' The Dream!!!

Dec 7, 2011
    I'd say it has a LOT to do with many areas still not seeing deer numbers back where they want........killing one Buck hurts a lot less than killing a Doe if you are wanting to see overall deer numbers increase......I know that was the case in a large area around here last year especially.

7. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

I don't find that interesting at all. Everybody still could get two tags. It would seem to make sense that the fewer who can kill 3 the more would kill 2.

8. Hawk

Oct 15, 2009
    But thats ONE buck.... this is a rise in people killing TWO bucks, one with firearms and one with archery for the most part....

9. Hawk

Oct 15, 2009
    But thats not what happened. Only about 70 people killed 3 or 4 bucks total the year before. The 1800 number included those hunters. Its now 6500 ish....

20' likes this.
  10. MATTG

MATTG Member

Dec 8, 2005
    MID-MO
    I would guess that includes youth hunters as well? A youth is more suited to archery hunt with a crossbow and just want to shoot something still. I am guessing the 15,000 increase in archery permits include a decent chunk of kids crossbow hunting. That coupled with the elimination of 4-point rule allows for more legal deer to be taken. Just my opinion...

11. KRAZO

KRAZO Member

Jul 28, 2017
    Southwest MO
    I'd like to hear MDC explain the increase. Did they put out any statement or write up or anything explaining why they think this number went up? Be interesting to see the xbow stats to go along with this but also id like to see where the increase generally occurred. Was it evenly spread statewide or wasn't concentrated in areas that no longer have a 4-pt rule or .... I think there's more information about this that would help explain these stats but it's not posted here in this thread.

20' likes this.
  12. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

Agree

When other factors increase buck harvest ie conditions , regulation changes number of people hunting. If you can only get 2 tags instead of three it will increase that number . Seems pretty clear cut.

13. Hawk

Oct 15, 2009
    Youth archery permits only increased by 1300 permits

20' likes this.
  14. Hawk

Oct 15, 2009
    I would also... they, predictably, simply said there wasnt an increase in "ARCHERY HARVEST" which is correct. But not mamy people ever said that total archery harvest would increase much if at all, ESPECIALLY in a year when ALL other deer harvest categories were down (except late youth).

Actually there isnt more info available that Ive seen. MDC didnt collect enough info with telecheck to draw more conclusions, and they admit that. Theyre hoping that surveys will explain it.

15. venatic

venatic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Did you account for the warm weather early in the season?

16. Hawk

Oct 15, 2009
    Again, the number simply dont support that. Around 70 people TOTAL killed 3 or 4 bucks last year. Added to the 1700ish that killed 2, thats around 1800. This year there were 6600 that killed 2. That math doesnt add up.

Conditions are much less impactful to archery harvest because the season is so long. Youth only got 1300 more tags. At an adult success rate of 18%, thats pnly like 200 more successful youths, and then those kids would have had to kill a firearms buck as well.... doesnt add up.

APRs may have added SOME impact, but nowhere near that total amount. Archery wasnt killing bucks at that rate pre aprs.

17. PoisonSnake

PoisonSnake Active Member

Dec 16, 2004
    Australia
    I didn't kill a deer last year but I actually checked in 2 because I didn't want to feel left out. I find checking deer illegally to be my "safe space" if you will. I wish to be each inclusive and included.

18. MeatHunter

MeatHunter Just Livin' The Dream!!!

Dec 7, 2011
    No, not exactly.......many people chose to take two bucks last year when they would have normally taken a buck and a doe........but since they are trying to increase the overall number of deer, they took two bucks.......

19. Hawk

Oct 15, 2009
    Yes, with archery... they cant take 2 with firearms.

Archery antlerless permittee harvest was only down about 2000 deer. The rest of the permit classes were virtually the same as last year... so there would still be 4600 additional bucks taken...

20. callaojoe

callaojoe Máistir an pointe hocht.

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    Congrats to the lucky Hunters!! :tup::tup::trophy::trophy:

tcwild likes this.