Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

· Registered
20,366 Posts
Leaving from the bow it "can" open up prior to hitting the targeted cardboard box or the shoulder of a deer. The shooter in the video placed the blades together prior to each stabbing of the cardboard.

As for my "rock" yes I am shooting a traditional selfbow I made from a hickory tree I cut on my property and used a flint "rock" that is "chiseled" to sharpness that can pass through a deer sized animal even at much slower speeds but my arrows weight in at over 600 grains. I doubt those in the video or the ones that were tested weigh close to that but have two or three times the speed especially using a crossbow. I'm not saying they won't work but cut on contact broadheads be them steel or "rock" won't fail during flight unless you hit something on its way to its intended target. :)

View attachment 237127

So you have pics of this....
Plant Wood Twig Terrestrial plant Snow

Doing This?
Insect Wood Organism Twig Moths and butterflies

· Super Moderator
28,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I would venture to say you have a 0% chance of going through a bucks shoulder with that. Favor a liver shot and you'll (eventually) kill anything you shoot with it though!
of course the blades we in the “flying” position when he showed what happens when the enter the box! Not to mention he CLEARLY said and showed that the head would no way penetrate if it was deployed prior to hitting the deer. Again, they were devastating wound channels. Guys shot and liver shots would be dead in 30-60 seconds. If they fly true and penetrate(3 for 3 for us) they sure could be a game changer.

6,956 Posts
of course the blades we in the “flying” position when he showed what happens when the enter the box! Not to mention he CLEARLY said and showed that the head would no way penetrate if it was deployed prior to hitting the deer. Again, they were devastating wound channels. Guys shot and liver shots would be dead in 30-60 seconds. If they fly true and penetrate(3 for 3 for us) they sure could be a game changer.
Gut shots get away using large caliber rifles…

· Don't mind me
10,404 Posts
I’m not saying a 4” rip through the guts won’t kill them pretty quick compared to a montec, I’m sure it will. And I’m not denying they will penetrate through the skin on a broadside shot.
I’m saying once that thing starts to open and hits heavy bone that sharpened blunt end of the arrow isn’t going through.
I bet those arrows do some crazy stuff when they hit bone on 1 side of the blade and the arrow tries to make a 90 degree turn.

I’ve regrettably strayed away from spitfires a couple times but it’s going to take a lot(or an elk hunt) to get me to to try something different again.

· Super Moderator
28,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Any videos on them with a shoulder blade?

Just curious what they do when they do hit bone.
I have not seen their videos of any shoulder hits, but one of ours cut right through the spine, the other through a shoulder then through the spine and out (this was a yearling). The two blades are strong for sure, each of the three blades showed zero damage, no bending and fully intact. I am likely not running out and buying any since I have around 9 G5 and I would definitely a different quiver insert.

· Super Moderator
28,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Slicktrick mags do just fine for me. Interesting design, but not for me.
When i knocked the arrow tip with this blade it was amazing how conscious I was about the arrow hitting branches while hanging the bow etc...I bumped that arrow more than I remember bumping others...and yes that rubberband will likely not take much abuse :)

· Triple Creek Hunter
1,339 Posts
I used Thunderhead 125 gr for years with my compound. I lost very few deer they always did a great job. Went to Spitfire 125 gr expandable when I switched to a crossbow great results. The biggest issue I had with the Spitfire it was generally one and done, very difficult to switch blades. Tried the SERV 150 gr Robusto this year. Lost the first two does I shot. The 3rd dropped within 20 yds. Guess I could have missed a vital on first two. They fly like a field point. I also tried the Slick Trick 150 gr fixed. Loved the way they fly same spot as field point out to 50yds. Shot a doe in Dec good blood trail dropped within 50 yds. Nice thing is how easy it is to change out blades. Will probably stick with them next year

· Registered
99 Posts
Didn’t the guy in the video have a picture of that round broadhead on his shirt? The one that was pretty much a disaster?

I dunno I have too much respect for the deer to shoot anything other than a fixed head.

· Grrrrrrr
30,201 Posts
Broadleaf choice is as galvanizing as any topic in Bowhunting….everyone thinks what they shoot is the best. I shoot Muzzy Trocar fixed blades so of course those are the best. Lmao.

I’ve shot everything from zwickey fixed blades to Rage and have killed deer with all of them. Of all the broad heads I’ve shot, Rage was my least favorite….not because of performance on deer but because they suck to keep in a quiver and because it never seemed to fail that my bow would be hanging on its hook with an arrow nocked and I look down at my broadhead and it’s open.

I’d never try something like these but I do wonder if they stay closed in a quiver.

I bet they’re hell on turkeys.

· Under appreciated
93,233 Posts
Broadleaf choice is as galvanizing as any topic in Bowhunting….everyone thinks what they shoot is the best. I shoot Muzzy Trocar fixed blades so of course those are the best. Lmao.

I’ve shot everything from zwickey fixed blades to Rage and have killed deer with all of them. Of all the broad heads I’ve shot, Rage was my least favorite….not because of performance on deer but because they suck to keep in a quiver and because it never seemed to fail that my bow would be hanging on its hook with an arrow nocked and I look down at my broadhead and it’s open.

I’d never try something like these but I do wonder if they stay closed in a quiver.

I bet they’re hell on turkeys.
Same, on all accounts and I share your frustration with rages. I couldnt ever keep them closed and was always nervous about them. I spined a deer years ago with a rage, chip shot and I had a steady top pin burned in on her. I really think that rage was either open or opened at the release. I’ve just never seen a reason to switch from spitfires, unless I were thinking about elk or something crazy in which case I’d want a good fixed like a Muzzy with some foc inserts.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts