Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out hunting yesterday and man was it windy. So I meandered around a little bit trying to find a fairly calm spot in the woods and I found it. On the very top of a tall ridge with steep inclines on both sides. This is opposite of what I would have thought. :shrug:. Anyways while up there I also stumbled across a huge bedding area with fresh beds everywhere. Now all I got to do is figure out how to get there without spooking the deer.
Anyone else find the ridge tops to be calm?

·
Preferred pronoun-Stud Muffin
10,689 Posts
What's the orientation, AN?

If you travel any in the northern plains, you'll see houses on ridges, but with the wind buffers planted west and north. Smaller plants then progressively larger plants toward the house. Makes a great buffer.
Same thing with the snow fences out west.
My ridges had the same amount of snow as the gullies, but mine run parallel to the wind.

·
Registered
5,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The ridge runs north/south, from the trail walking in the ridge is 250ft high according to topography map. It is all mature hardwoods not real open but not real thick either. I woul have figured the calm area would have been on the side of the ridge opposite wind direction but it wasn't the case :shrug: I guess the wind is hard to pedict when dealing with a bunch of hills this size, swirl affect & such. I got 3 days this weekend to bring one down :claphands:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.