Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
\" Inside \" Beagle

Have a new addition to the family coming, bouncing baby boy beagle. Growin up as a kid, we had lots of beagles/birddogs. Kept them all in the pen out back. Dad always said keepin em inside diminished their "scent", dont know if thats an old wives tale, or what. Our beagle, will definitely be an inside dog, hope he dont get too spoiled.

Anyone have a beagle that they keep in the house, and also hunt em ? Just curious, as this guy is coming, will be a house dog, regardless.....

He'll definitely be free-fed Wayne's, always liked their product, and will watch it that the lil guy doesnt get too fat, we dont believe in givin too much scraps, table food, although the occassional piece of leftover steak is definitely in his future...

·
Registered
13,334 Posts
Yeah watch feeding them house food. And also, just a thought, but get a female. I raised beagles for several years, and if your wanting a rabbit dog, a female is the way to go. They usually always make better dogs. And better pets for that matter. If you dont wanna worry about pups, get her spayed. And if you get ready for a pup and cant find one, let me know. My cousin still raises beagles, and i know several other honest guys that do. Let me know if i can be of any help. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
I heard the boss hadnt given the ok yet as of yesterday???? Musta bought a nice xmas present for the boss. :stirpot::cheers:

·
Registered
19,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks Chad, but wouldnt have a female. thru the years, we only had one, and was often the cause of "distraction" when around the other dogs, if ya catch my drift. true she was a sweetheart, more affectionate than the boys. my uncle even threatened to quit huntin with us, if we brought her around LOL. yep, spaying would be the answer, but our last dog (****er) was a female, couldnt hold a candle to the previous male, yep, another ****er. sold on gettin a male this time...

have had some super good males, not worried about that ! but thanks for the input ! just wondering is keepin them inside, has any effect on their nose ? i'm kinda thinkin not, either they got it, or they dont, is what i've heard.....

·
Registered
19,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
boss was "on the fence", just needed a little nudge....been since July 07 that we've been dogless, time to fill the void....

she's gettin "a day at the spa", doesnt get any better than that, in her eyes ( are you kidding me? LOL )

·
Registered
13,334 Posts
Originally posted by knockemdeadd
thanks Chad, but wouldnt have a female. thru the years, we only had one, and was often the cause of "distraction" when around the other dogs, if ya catch my drift. true she was a sweetheart, more affectionate than the boys. my uncle even threatened to quit huntin with us, if we brought her around LOL. yep, spaying would be the answer, but our last dog (****er) was a female, couldnt hold a candle to the previous male, yep, another ****er. sold on gettin a male this time...

have had some super good males, not worried about that ! but thanks for the input ! just wondering is keepin them inside, has any effect on their nose ? i'm kinda thinkin not, either they got it, or they dont, is what i've heard.....
Just an old wives tale on the nose. Ive also heard youll burn up there nose if you keep them in a pen on the ground. The main deal with keeping them in the house is them getting lazy, and the cold bothering them cause there not used to it. Best advice i can give you, is take them to a GOOD stating pen when they are YOUNG. That is if you dont have any older dogs to start it on.A beagle ought to be well started before 6 months old. And also, get that dog in the brush often. The worst thing to do with a rabbit dog is to not run it at least some all year. Dont run it too hard in the summer when its too hot, but also dont let it spend 8 months out of the year sitting on the couch. :cheers::cheers:

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Working Them at an early age with another good dog has always done best for Us !! We'll have to get out more & get Him working !!
Cat

·
Registered
19,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by catmech_99
Working Them at an early age with another good dog has always done best for Us !! We'll have to get out more & get Him working !!
Cat
him, as in......them ? lol:woot:

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Yeah, he means to buy 2 or more of them, what the heck go for it. Get them to match, noone will notice. :scared:

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Cat
I'm still working on the "Them" part !!

·
Registered
19,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cat
you got time Andy, the hardest part, i'm sure, is havin Adam calm down, so'ins he dont make it any harder !!!:claphands:

·
Registered
9,727 Posts
hey you 2 themers i have spot or 2 the one we havent hunted at all the other people have beggin to get them out of there got a beagle and jack russel

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Cat
you got time Andy, the hardest part, i'm sure, is havin Adam calm down, so'ins he dont make it any harder !!!:claphands:
He's working in Calm mode now !!

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Originally posted by ducks1
hey you 2 themers i have spot or 2 the one we havent hunted at all the other people have beggin to get them out of there got a beagle and jack russel
Your talkin My Language now !! Let Us know when & where !!
Cat

1 - 14 of 14 Posts