Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Under appreciated
91,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I certainly dont mean to take up your time, but when you get a chance, could you answer the following?

Is there a biological/physiological reason that explains why bucks who sustain an injury to a rear leg have abnormal antler growth to the opposite side of that injury?
I see evidence of it in member reports.

Is it common?
Is there a reason?
Is there evidence to suggest that the nature/severity of the injury coorelates with the nature/severity of the abnormality?
Is there a relationship between the age of the individual and how profoundly the malformation manifests itself?
Would it matter if antler growth has already been initiated when the injury was sustained?

Here is a thread related to my question.
http://www.missouriwhitetails.com/forums/viewthread.php?tid=107137

Thanks again for being here.
:)

·
Under appreciated
91,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bump...

Any ideas on this? Just a curiosity.

Thanks!

·
Registered
798 Posts
Lots of good questions...I've been trying to do a little additional research before I respond.

But in short...from my experience most deformed antlers are the result of injuries to the pedical (where the antler grows out of the skull) this results in deformations on a single side. This can happen during the casting of antlers (find sheds with a nice little chunk on the side instead of the smooth base), other injuries to the skull, etc. Injuries during antler growth can also produce abnormal points or growth. But I don't know that we have enough information to draw any strong conclusions effects.

A genetic tendency to have deformed antlers typically results in both sides having abnormal antler configuration. Many of these problems are probably the result of hormonal imbalance or signalling issues that arise during cell division and antler growth (example Missouri Monarch). Additionally as bucks age and if they are not nutritionally stressed they put more energy into antler growth and non-typical points begin to appear.

I don't have a clear explanation for the injury on the hind leg causing an abnormal antler on the opposite side. I'll do some more looking and see if I can come up with an answer for that one.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.