Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to know how frequently everyone gets pictures of bucks surviving with previous injuries. If anyone has pictures of bucks like this, I would like to see them. It's amazing to me that some of these deer survive. Here's an example of one currently living on our property. The bent front leg is totally immobile.

Plant Sky Deer Tree Fawn

·
Registered
70,062 Posts
This was years ago that this poor little fella hung around my feeder. I had seen him a few times hobbling away into the timber. His left front leg was frozen in that position and the right one was bowed from the weight he had to put on it to get around. Ribs showing and hips were very poor. Must have been hit by a car. Needless to say he didn't make it much past this photo taken from my game camera.
Plant Deer Mammal Natural landscape Biome

·
Land buying addiction
13,701 Posts
I had one for a few years with the front leg always bent like the one in your picture. I had some hunters up and they shot him because he was injured and wouldn’t make it. I had pics of him for two years with the front leg that way and he was turning into a nice deer. Oh well who knows if he would have made it or not. It was a few years ago and I’m not sure where the pictures are.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Killed this one years ago thinking I was putting it out of its misery as it came limping by. After looking at it I’m not sure it wasn’t doing just fine.
Plant Grass Fawn Wood Terrestrial plant

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
71,952 Posts
Deer are tough...... I have an up&comer buck that I saw several times during archery and rifle season. I saw him the last two days I hunted rifle season and he had a very noticeable limp. I could not tell if he'd been shot, or if he injured it some other way. When I was back up in mid December, saw him again and this time he was no longer limping.... Had game cam pics, no noticeable injury. I suspect, as he was chasing doe very hard on my place, he probable jumped a ditch wrong or something.... Gonna check cams this weekend, and i expect to have pics of him. I was pretty bummed out, cause I think he has potential to be a decent buck at some point, he's only 2 yrs old it appears and is already a good 17-18" wide.

I'll need to go back through my pics and see if anything is noticeable.....

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Not a buck and no picture, but had a doe with a front leg that was obviously broken and unable to use. She showed up occasionally for two years before disappearing and got along on three legs pretty well keeping up with other deer. Probably had been hit on the road but did not know how that happened.

·
Registered
70,062 Posts
Killed this one years ago thinking I was putting it out of its misery as it came limping by. After looking at it I’m not sure it wasn’t doing just fine. View attachment 227750
Have you ever seen a buck with three legs?? This guy (no pic) was missing one of his hind legs at the bend. I watched as he was attempting to mount a doe. Took him awhile but he got the job done.😁
Once he got his composure I dropped him. At least he'd died happy.👍

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This was years ago that this poor little fella hung around my feeder. I had seen him a few times hobbling away into the timber. His left front leg was frozen in that position and the right one was bowed from the weight he had to put on it to get around. Ribs showing and hips were very poor. Must have been hit by a car. Needless to say he didn't make it much past this photo taken from my game camera. View attachment 227748
Thanks for posting. I wonder how long he hobbled around to cause that front leg to develop a bow like that.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had one for a few years with the front leg always bent like the one in your picture. I had some hunters up and they shot him because he was injured and wouldn’t make it. I had pics of him for two years with the front leg that way and he was turning into a nice deer. Oh well who knows if he would have made it or not. It was a few years ago and I’m not sure where the pictures are.
Was his rack normal or did it grow somewhat funky?

·
Under appreciated
90,840 Posts
Not a buck and no picture, but had a doe with a front leg that was obviously broken and unable to use. She showed up occasionally for two years before disappearing and got along on three legs pretty well keeping up with other deer. Probably had been hit on the road but did not know how that happened.
Had a doe this year show up injured, obvious darkening on one side looked like caked blood and limping badly. I had a chance to kill her during rifle season and passed, just didn’t want to chance some systemic infection but I was very curious how she was injured.
I haven’t pulled cards for some time, need to do that and see if I have better pictures of what happened to her.

Had another buck that I thought might be on the list, passed him several times and right before rifle season saw him limping pretty badly also. Nothing apparent other than the limp so I just thought he might have been injured sparring.

Something funky happens about ever year.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Deer are tough...... I have an up&comer buck that I saw several times during archery and rifle season. I saw him the last two days I hunted rifle season and he had a very noticeable limp. I could not tell if he'd been shot, or if he injured it some other way. When I was back up in mid December, saw him again and this time he was no longer limping.... Had game cam pics, no noticeable injury. I suspect, as he was chasing doe very hard on my place, he probable jumped a ditch wrong or something.... Gonna check cams this weekend, and i expect to have pics of him. I was pretty bummed out, cause I think he has potential to be a decent buck at some point, he's only 2 yrs old it appears and is already a good 17-18" wide.

I'll need to go back through my pics and see if anything is noticeable.....
We have a very promising two year old on our place with a very similar story to yours. I had been getting pictures of this buck all summer. Then, just before rifle season, we saw the buck out in the field not using the left front leg at all, and as you mentioned we were pretty bummed, not knowing if he would recover. As luck would have it, my brother saw him the first weekend of season and he was limping badly, but at least he was using that leg. Now he has totally recovered. Here's a recent picture of him, and you can see where the injury occurred on the shoulder. Hopefully, yours has recovered as well.
Black Elk Deer Organism Black-and-white

·
#pointsmatter
2,782 Posts
I killed a buck this year that has been hopping around for at least 3 years with a shriveled up back leg. My dad's neighbor was going to shoot a 3 legged doe a couple years ago to put it out of its misery. He text me and was asking what I thought. I told him I thought it would rather hop around than get shot. It's had healthy twins every year since then. We had pics of a doe with its face blown up. For a month or so. I think it ended up dieing and looked rough in the pics. Had a small buck that got scalped over the top of the shoulder and could actually see the top of his shoulder blade sticking out. He's still here. Walks around kind of humped up and is a 4 yearish old 6 point that sticks around the house for the most part. The 2 nights picks are of a 3 year old last year that lost a little skull with his shed. We are hopping he cleans back up a little next year. Body wise he was health as a horse and made it through season.
Plant Plant community Natural material Wood Organism
Carnivore Grass Fawn Dog Terrestrial animal
Organism Mammal Deer Horn Rectangle
Tints and shades Pattern Electric blue Circle Darkness

·
#pointsmatter
2,782 Posts
This deer was a 140 class buck 4-5 year old that was a main frame 8 with a long inside point and my buddy shot him over the spine about the 17 of Sept. We saw him again finally the 15th of January and he stared at the spot he got shot at from 80 yards away for over 30 min. The next year he blew into a Giant. This is the only pic I have on my phone and it was from June . He was stupid big and word got out on him and long story short I lost that place to hunt right before the opener. Still bitter. Had his butt pegged for early season. He hated game cameras btw. So we pulled them a month before season and I don't have any hard horn pics.
Plant Deer Grass Fawn Horn

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
This has covered bucks with injury to the body as well as bucks with injured antlers that occurred late in velvet but another event occurs that leads to the death of many bucks from bleeding in the brain or limits the potential the buck has.
While fighting sometimes results.in broken points the damage sometimes injures the skull around where the antlers grow .This affects what the buck will be in future years.
Last year i was getting pictures of a fine typical which started getting broken up early and was eventually run off by a heaven brow 8 which then ruled that timber.At the end of the season the buck was almost unidentifiable.This year he showed up with 18 score able points 178 inch gross.He was a 10 point typical with one sticker off a point the other 7 score able points were stickers off the base.This buck was probably removed as good as he would ever be because the injury to the skull limited what his genes had in mind.
Plant Elk Branch Organism Tree

Plant Tree Natural landscape Wood People in nature

Deer Elk Fawn Grass Horn

Attachments

·
Registered
24,265 Posts
This deer was a 140 class buck 4-5 year old that was a main frame 8 with a long inside point and my buddy shot him over the spine about the 17 of Sept. We saw him again finally the 15th of January and he stared at the spot he got shot at from 80 yards away for over 30 min. The next year he blew into a Giant. This is the only pic I have on my phone and it was from June . He was stupid big and word got out on him and long story short I lost that place to hunt right before the opener. Still bitter. Had his butt pegged for early season. He hated game cameras btw. So we pulled them a month before season and I don't have any hard horn pics. View attachment 227771
AW hogwash, he was just starting that way😱. Totally kidding, I know and have witnessed similar behavior!

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I killed a buck this year that has been hopping around for at least 3 years with a shriveled up back leg. My dad's neighbor was going to shoot a 3 legged doe a couple years ago to put it out of its misery. He text me and was asking what I thought. I told him I thought it would rather hop around than get shot. It's had healthy twins every year since then. We had pics of a doe with its face blown up. For a month or so. I think it ended up dieing and looked rough in the pics. Had a small buck that got scalped over the top of the shoulder and could actually see the top of his shoulder blade sticking out. He's still here. Walks around kind of humped up and is a 4 yearish old 6 point that sticks around the house for the most part. The 2 nights picks are of a 3 year old last year that lost a little skull with his shed. We are hopping he cleans back up a little next year. Body wise he was health as a horse and made it through season. View attachment 227767 View attachment 227768 View attachment 227769 View attachment 227770
Thanks for posting. Shows what some of these deer can live with. I had pictures of a three legged doe on our place a few years ago that seemed to be perfectly healthy but I was never able to confirm what became of her. My brother-in-law has a buck with a messed up back leg on his property that has been there for a few years, but it doesn't have as much antler as the one you shot. I figure one like you shot is a quality trophy, considering what he had to endure to make it that long.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts