Inflatable Life Jackets?

Discussion in 'Fishing Gear & Tackle' started by Clucker, Mar 11, 2018.

1. Looking to get one witch one to buy? auto or manual? Brand?
    Thanks for your replies.
  2. Buck

Buck Member

Sep 11, 2013
    I have a mustang elite. Super comfortable and it doesn’t make me hot on hot days. If you get an auto, make sure it requires that the PDF is submerged to inflate. I would be concerned with PFDs that use dissolvable tabs prematurely inflating.

3. h_callahan

h_callahan Senior Member

Nov 14, 2008
    warren county
    I got one of the bass pro models that self inflates and has the pull cord to inflate. I think it was around 115 dollars. its a tested and proven technology so i feel confident with it. but i always have my standard style close by (sit on it for more cushion) if weather or a long run is necessary. The higher end mustang are nice and comfortable but cost and talking with other anglers that run on lakes it is sufficient. if i was on the river exclusively or duck hunting I probably would have spent the additional coin.
  4. vipershooter

vipershooter Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2011
    carrollton mo
    This is my opinion.

Pros: cheap, moisture does not effect it.
    Cons: you need to be conscious to deploy it and be familiar with how it's activated.

Pros: cheap, if you are knocked unconscious it deploys automatically.
    Cons: needs to be rearmed yearly at $25 a piece, humidity and rain storms can activate it.

Pros: works if you are unconscious, humidity and moisture does not deploy it, it needs to be rearmed every 5 years. Only deploys with 4in of water pressure.
    Cons: cost 2.5 X more than the others, cost $80 to rearm it.

With that being said I went with the H.I.T. because it is not moisture sensitive.

And keep in mind they are not considered a flotation device until it is worn meaning that it can't be laying in the boat and be counted toward your occupants.
  5. vipershooter

Sep 18, 2011
    carrollton mo
    Mustang has the patent on the hydrostatic inflation technology. Screenshot_20180311-200455.png
  6. Rack_Hunter

Rack_Hunter Sensitivity Aficionado

Once inflated can they be reused?

Or are they a one use device?
  7. vipershooter

Sep 18, 2011
    carrollton mo
    You need to buy a rearming kit. They run from $25 to $80 depending on the model of vest you have.