in the stand!

Discussion in '2011 Whitetail General' started by smcjbh3, Nov 8, 2010.

1. smcjbh3

smcjbh3 Active Member

Nov 8, 2010
    Southwest Missouri
    I am sitting here waiting on the deer and thought I would ask a question. New at this bow hunting, how do you know it is a deer moving compared to other animals if you can't see it? With a rifle I hunt more open fields and less timbers.

2. montgohunter

montgohunter New Member

Mar 8, 2010
    St. Charles
    well a squirrel will be hopping...like bounce bounce bounce...and a deer or other animal with either have a steady walk or more of a steady noise.....does that answer your question?

3. Hoytshooter

Hoytshooter Active Member

Mar 7, 2005
    Small Buck, MO
    It's all about the cadence of the movement. Then again...I get fooled all the time!

The animal that fools me the most when they happen to stroll by are opossums!

4. smcjbh3

smcjbh3 Active Member

Nov 8, 2010
    Southwest Missouri
    Yeah that helps. I get pumped no matter whats coming, so I am trying to learn to not get to amped up when it is just a squirrel. Thanks guys.

5. mohunter32

mohunter32 Senior Member Lifetime Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2005
    Franklin Co, MO
    It's hard to tell sometimes. Just have patiencs and watch the area you hear the sound come from. I got fooled twice this past weekend.

Saturday, thought for sure a dee was coming my way. Heard leaves rustling, then stop the rustling again. Finally saw it was an opposum.

Sunday, heard leaves crunching to my left. Slowly I turned my head to watch. A couple of minutes went by then I saw it was a covy of quail walking through. I couldn't hear their calls (clucks or whatever you call it) until they were about 20 yards away. Nine of them in this covey. That was cool to see.

6. seanilebuck

seanilebuck New Member

Jan 19, 2009
    midmo
    Pretend it's a deer, and wait. If you can't see it, you certainly can't shoot it anyway. Besides, the adrenalin will help keep you alert.:eek:

7. Neil

Neil New Member

Jan 21, 2005
    Lee's Summit
    I think the deer give the squirrels extra acorns to walk around and distract me while they run past on the other side.:D

8. Practice.... Practice...... Practice.:wave:

Really I think just time in the woods helps you distinguish between the two and often as Hoyt says we get fooled

9. Meller

Meller Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2008
    yea squirrels are random leaves rustling. Bounce bounce stop. Bounce bounce bounce stop. Deer is a consistant walking noise.

10. Gutpile

Gutpile Cooler Semi-Elitist

Aug 22, 2003
    St. Charles
    Rustling leaves at random start/stop intervals. Deer crunching of leaves, with distinct crunch crunch crunch sounds.

11. BigJake

BigJake New Member

Dec 27, 2005
    [rquote=1886033&tid=131398&author=Hoytshooter]
    The animal that fools me the most when they happen to stroll by are opossums![/rquote]

YUP!!! :cheers:

12. smcjbh3

smcjbh3 Active Member

Nov 8, 2010
    Southwest Missouri
    Thanks guys. I heard some rustling last night to my back. Kept coming then stop, then move, then stop, then I seen a squirrel. LOL