In #4 with a decoy

Discussion in '2011 Whitetail General' started by kc704, Nov 2, 2010.

1. kc704

kc704 Senior Member

Dec 9, 2004
    Missouri
    Set my decoy up as a doe and wasn't in the stand 10 mins and had a shooter come in. Was a bit too dark for a shot. He was a big 8 or 10. Nice and wide dang it! Tried to keep him around with the Vector to no avail. Hope he comes back. He did smell my Code Blue trail I put out. He came in from upwind too.

2. Wings Fan 19

Wings Fan 19 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Kansas City, MO.
    Good luck Chris. :cheers:
    Seein' that before shooting light outta keep your hinee planted in stand an extra hour or 3.

3. AWESOME!!..... Hope you get another chance at him:cheers:

4. stlhawk

stlhawk Member

Jan 31, 2010
    I bet he comes back... Good luck

5. kc704

kc704 Senior Member

Dec 9, 2004
    Missouri
    Lil 5 or 6 pt just came in. Legal as 4 were on one side. No response to grunt or can call. Got some video though.

6. kc704

kc704 Senior Member

Dec 9, 2004
    Missouri
    Saw a doe flagging across the field. Too far away for me to have spooked it. Lil buck came back beside me.

7. kc704

kc704 Senior Member

Dec 9, 2004
    Missouri
    Lil buck was actually a goofy 7 pt upon closer view.

8. kc704

kc704 Senior Member

Dec 9, 2004
    Missouri
    I hear antlers clanging.

9. kc704

kc704 Senior Member

Dec 9, 2004
    Missouri
    Decoy just fell over. Not sure if I should get down and fix it.

10. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    [rquote=1875437&tid=130626&author=kc704]Decoy just fell over. Not sure if I should get down and fix it. [/rquote]

Must be bedding time in the deer woods.....let it lay so she will look natural...but a real sound sleeper.:whistle:

11. kc704

kc704 Senior Member

Dec 9, 2004
    Missouri
    Just had a doe run in to check out the sleeping decoy. Took a shot, but afraid it got deflected off a branch. She didn't act hit. Gonna get down and find arrow in a lil bit.

12. Satch

Satch Senior Member

Aug 5, 2008
    Central MO
    Stand that decoy up while you're at it. Have fun out there.

13. Hannibal Bowhunter

Hannibal Bowhunter Active Member

Sep 15, 2007
    Hannibal, MO
    Great action this morning - I love it!

14. kc704

kc704 Senior Member

Dec 9, 2004
    Missouri
    Clean miss. Arrow was deflected to the right of the doe. Reset decoy with a scent wick and freshened a scrape.

Another doe just came in while typing this. Jumped string and turned. Arrow hit in right hindquarter. Hope I hit artery. Arrow was buried up to the vanes. Lil 7 pt from earlier just followed her trail. He was grunting. Saw him go into draw where she and saw a deer come out other side. Couldn't tell if it was him or her. Gonna give it an hour and check that draw.

15. deputy_d

deputy_d New Member

Oct 12, 2008
    Springfield
    Sounds like your having a great day...

16. Mailman

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    How was the angle of the arrow compared to the internal area (heart/ lungs)? Was it angled toward the front of the deer or ......what?

17. MOFish20

MOFish20 Science Doesn't Care What You Believe

Oct 12, 2010
    quite a morning!

I'm planning the same approach Friday when I can get out to the farm after dropping off my daughter at daycare. Can only pray to have 1/2 the excitement.

18. kc704

kc704 Senior Member

Dec 9, 2004
    Missouri
    [rquote=1875614&tid=130626&author=Mailman]How was the angle of the arrow compared to the internal area (heart/ lungs)? Was it angled toward the front of the deer or ......what?[/rquote]

Yes. She turned away from me when she jumped string so arrow was parallel more so to the length of her body. 28" shaft.

19. seth_turner_04

seth_turner_04 Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2005
    Owensville, MO
    Dad went out this morning and had several good bucks come in but no shots. On the way out, he saw a nice buck cross over onto the farm and head right to my old gun stand. Must be a hot doe in the area because he had non stop action all morning long till he left at 9:30. Man I wish I could be there to sit all day long today!

20. Mailman

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    [rquote=1875630&tid=130626&author=kc704][rquote=1875614&tid=130626&author=Mailman]How was the angle of the arrow compared to the internal area (heart/ lungs)? Was it angled toward the front of the deer or ......what?[/rquote]

Yes. She turned away from me when she jumped string so arrow was parallel more so to the length of her body. 28" shaft. [/rquote]

Sounds like she will go down but it might take her awhile to expire totally. Lets hope that the deer that left the draw was the buck.