Imperial Whitetail Clover??

Discussion in 'Deer Management, Habitat & Conservation' started by mrclean, Mar 3, 2006.

1. mrclean

mrclean New Member

Nov 30, 2005
    Harrisburg
    I'm considering this instead of the local coop varieties. Is the Imperial brand really that much better than other clovers?

2. WhiteTailer

WhiteTailer Active Member

Apr 20, 2005
    Centralia
    i dont think so, but thats my opnion. at least i dont think its worth the extra$$$$

3. Hatch

Hatch New Member

Jul 17, 2005
    OFallon MO
    I believe you can get everything at the co op that is in the Imperial or other brands. Save your $$$

4. Thayer

Thayer New Member

Dec 17, 2005
    Imperial, Mo
    The whitetail clover is a drastically improved varieties of clover...mostly New Zealand blends. They have spent countless dollars on developing their clovers and you won't find any better clover than what they have...many are close to comparable...but all that doesn't mean a thing if your soil preparations, seeding, and maintenance are done in a half-mule effort...you will get a much better plot if you follow all the directions and do it right the first time.

5. Hoytshooter

Hoytshooter Active Member

Mar 7, 2005
    Small Buck, MO
    Thayer's right about the prep. If you don't do things right leading up to planting it'll show.
    In my opinion the IW clover is better varieties than what you get at your co-op. The question is how much better and is it worth the added cost. I think you'll find most of the difference in the germination rates and speed with the IW being faster to start. I don't know that preference, palatability, or nutrition would be that drastic of a difference to warrant the price.

6. nontypical

nontypical Member

Dec 18, 2004
    New Franklin
    Of the many mixes that I have planted IW is worth the extra dollars. More productive over a longer period of time and the utilization of the IW by the deer is readily apparent.

7. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

We sold Imperial whitetail and synergy to a guy in Centralia last year. He put out one plot that was Imperial on one side and synergy ladino on the other. He talked with me at the classic and ordered more synergy. He said that in his plot, he could see very little difference between the 2 and that the deer grazed both varieties equally. This is the only in person side by side comparison I have heard about. I use the synergy ladino myself because of the cost factor, and have excellent luck with it. But unless a guy is going to put out a huge amount of acerage, I think he should go with which ever one he feels he will have the most confidence in.

:cheers::cheers:

8. rmr

rmr New Member

I have used both and if you take care( fert& lime) of the regular
    clovers you can buy from here or your coop I think they do just as well and the deer like both about the same For less money. The important thing is getting it in the ground what ever kind it is, it wont grow in the sack. Good Luck