I'm really hesitant to tell this story. My most exciting hunt ever

Discussion in 'Archery Hunting' started by pinwheel, Nov 10, 2010.

1. pinwheel

pinwheel Jenny's Lackey

Jun 17, 2006
    middle of nowhere
    But It's too good a story not to.

This south winds been killin me. I can't decide where to hunt that the winds gonna be in my favor. Been wanting to hunt one morning in the stand I shot my buck from last year. South wind don't feel right for it, but what the heck, they can come from anywhere this time of year.

I'm setup over a huge crp. 1/4 mile across & half mile long. First light, I see no deer. 6:45, I watch a small 7 or 8 point make his way across & work up towards a cedar thicket. 15 minutes later, 4 does 400 yds north of me.

[file]147271[/file]

I get on my feet & start glassin, cause it's starting to happen. Fawn running at a pretty good trot, so I'm expecting to see some chasin going on. Nope, nothin, so I sit back down & play another game of yahtzee. Glance back over my shoulder & see another blob, about 400 yds out. First instinct, BUCK. Get the glasses on him & sure enough, it's a buck & he looks pretty good, comin my way.

He keeps closin ground & sure enough, is on a course right for the drainage I'm setup in. As he gets there, it's evident, he's not going to the cedar thicket like I'm wanting, but coming in on my south. He's 50 yds inside with me in the trash & I have no window. But can see him well. If he'll stay in the bottom of the drain, he'll pass through a 20 yd window.

At this point, I'm about to need a new pair of underware. My knees are shakin & I can hear my heart hammering in my ears. I tell myself, you gotta get a grip on yourself, or you'll never pull it off. Deep, full lungs full of air breaths. It's helping, but my knees are still bangin together.

He starts going up the fence row in the opposite direction that I want, so I pull out the vector grunter & give him a short grunt. Can't tell if he heard it, so I give him another. He's stopped, but not turning my way yet. Heart rate has come back down now, but still strong as I give him a real long, deep grunt. THAT got his attention & turned him back my direction. He's headed up onto a knoll in the drain that's 35 yds away, so I go to full draw. Immediatly, my peep tube breaks. Luckily it didn't rotate out. I changed Jenny's this year, but not mine.:mad2:He's right in my window, but the only shot I've got is quartering to, almost head on. I give it a half second thought & dismiss it.

He's looking for that buck. Ears up, scanning, scanning, but staying like a statue the whole time & here I stand still at full draw. Felt like 5 minutes, but I imagine it's only a couple. Finally, he shifts his view, but still looking mostly my way. But I chance a controled letdown. Success. Breathe, breathe, slow deep breaths. Get the heart rate down & be ready for when he turns to go the other way.

I've now got my composure back, I'm ready & he turns to go, so I give him a mahh & he stops, perfectly broadside with nothing between the boiler room & myself. I go to draw, split pins between 30-40 & let fly. Everything felt perfect as the arrow went away. Anyone that's shot much 3D, knows that feeling when it breaks & you know it's a good shot. When the arrow hit, he dropped in his tracks. & let out a MAAAAAAHHHHHHH. BBD baby. He drags himself into the ditch on the other side of the knoll. His back legs not working. High fives all around. Gotta sit down & before my jelly legs give out on me. I'll get my composure & get down & get another arrow in him & finish him. No shot from the stand.

While recuperating, I look over & that pot licker is back on his feet. My arrow is sticking half out. Up outta the ditch he goes & starts trotting down the fencerow.:eek:
    :mad2: All celebration is over now & the :whinging: begins.

I've got blood right where he dropped. But nothing in the ditch & nothing with a little looking down the side of the fencerow.

I've backed out for now & will give him till this afternoon before following it up, but I've got very little confidence I'm gonna find him dead.

Regardless of how this comes out, I'm hanging up my bow till after rifle season. I just don't have it in me to get back out there if I don't find him.:whiteflag:

I got one crappy pic of him while he was still out about 150 yds & closing. He's better than anything I've currently got on the wall. No clue how many points he's got. For sure more than 8. Very good mass & past his ears.

Hopefully the deer Gods will smile on us this afternoon, but if they do, I'll be surprised.:whinging:

[file]147273[/file] [file]147275[/file]

2. Hannibal Bowhunter

Hannibal Bowhunter Active Member

Sep 15, 2007
    Hannibal, MO
    Was he running when he left? That is an odd reaction. Paralyzed temporarily? Nothing else you can do besides back out and give him time. I would think that there is still a decent chance of finding him. Good luck!

3. pinwheel

pinwheel Jenny's Lackey

Jun 17, 2006
    middle of nowhere
    [rquote=1889060&tid=131595&author=Hannibal Bowhunter]Was he running when he left? That is an odd reaction. Paralyzed temporarily? Nothing else you can do besides back out and give him time. I would think that there is still a decent chance of finding him. Good luck![/rquote]

Not running. Fast walk, almost a trot.

4. Judah

Judah Crossbow supporter

Oct 19, 2007
    Warren County
    :pop: Hope you find him!!!!!!!!!!!
    Can't wait to see that picture with your hands wrapped around him!

5. mx1alex

mx1alex #HFBO

Mar 26, 2008
    #HFBO
    Good luck Randy! I hope you find him. Sounds like you got decent penetration.

6. racks-n-beards

racks-n-beards Chiefs FANatic

Dang randal.

Good luck to ya!!

:cheers:

7. knockemdeadd

knockemdeadd New Member

Feb 3, 2007
    Arnold(St Louis)
    wow great story ! i'm glad to hear i'm not the only one who gets so nervous ! ive pretty much decided to shoot while sitting down anymore. the last time i was standing, i dang near rattled myself off the platform ! :rof2:

hope ya find him ! :praying::cheers:

8. 90acres

90acres Senior Member

Mar 4, 2003
    Wardsville
    Good luck Randy. I'm off work at 2 today to hunt, holler if ya need help lookin'.:wave:

9. Doubleshot75

Doubleshot75 Active Member

Nov 6, 2006
    Good luck pin....... I know the feeling you have right now, and it's one I never want again, but as a bowhunter we all will!!

Best of luck finding him...... if not today, at least during gun season!!

10. Refuze2falo

Refuze2falo Plain White Cracker

Aug 13, 2008
    We are neighbors
    Man I hope ya find him PW:claphands:

11. Gutpile

Gutpile Cooler Semi-Elitist

Aug 22, 2003
    St. Charles
    Sounds like maybe a high shot, glance off of the spine (which caused the temporarily paralyzed front limbs). After a few minutes his nervous system recovers and away he goes. Seen this rifle hunting. First buck I ever shot, was many years ago when judgement was in short supply.

He was booking across a field and we were popping off, I shoot and drop him like a sack - o - taters. High fiving and whooping it up. Next we look he is struggling to his feet, he is up, he is walking, or crap he is TROTTING....many shots later he gets dropped at a LONNG distance. First hit was very high near the spine, final was a good vital hit and dropped him. Just my thoughts. Hope it works out for you Pinwheel.

12. ad870

ad870 New Member

Oct 11, 2006
    NE Arkansas
    he appears to have a lot of mass!

13. Hannibal Bowhunter

Hannibal Bowhunter Active Member

Sep 15, 2007
    Hannibal, MO
    May have just grazed the spine causing the temporary paralysis. There are enough vital structures close by that he should be dead - give him time. Keep us posted!

14. huntforfunnfood

huntforfunnfood New Member

Jun 30, 2003
    new bloomfield mo
    man thats crazy

one would have to think if you knocked him down like that hed find a spot to lay down and die if not bothered or pushed to soon....the question is just can you find that spot if theres no blood.....

15. Wings Fan 19

Wings Fan 19 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Kansas City, MO.
    Dang Randy, going to be a long late morning and early afternoon. Hope the deer gods are smilin' on you when you get back out and find him. :cheers:

16. Judah

Judah Crossbow supporter

Oct 19, 2007
    Warren County
    I thought deer like that were only on TV. :bowing:

17. venatic

venatic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Man you got my heart racing! I hope you find him. :claphands:

18. Ghost Hunter

Ghost Hunter Active Member

Jan 3, 2003
    Randy you will find nim.

:praying:

19. pinwheel

pinwheel Jenny's Lackey

Jun 17, 2006
    middle of nowhere
    [rquote=1889101&tid=131595&author=huntforfunnfood]man thats crazy

one would have to think if you knocked him down like that hed find a spot to lay down and die if not bothered or pushed to soon....the question is just can you find that spot if theres no blood.....[/rquote]

Well, I hope you're right Tony, cause if you're right, knowing the lay of my farm, I'm confident he'll be in one of 3 spots where I know good bucks want to go to bed, based on the direction he was headed.

I'm givin him 2 more hours, then I'm headed back out, with bow in hand for the Kill shot. Jen will also have bow in hand.

20. Wings Fan 19

Wings Fan 19 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Kansas City, MO.
    :pop::pop:
    Best o luck bud.